Help choosing a Digital SLR cameras

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help choosing a Digital SLR cameras

My son is getting into photography, even taking classes in high school. We bought him a Canon EOS Rebel SL2/200D for Christmas. However, all the family photos at Christmas were out of focus, then the flash quit 2 weeks later. We returned it to Costco and are looking for something else. What would you recommend for him to buy? He wants a body that will video and take pictures, and at least one standard lens and one telephoto lens. Maybe someone here is upgrading and wants to sell their current camera?

Anyone?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

we have a nikon d5600. Great camera, but the Canon's are much more user friendly. Get some recommendations and then look at mpb or at bhphoto.com

Comment

What's your budget for the new camera?

Comment

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
          What's your budget for the new camera?
          We ordered him a Canon SL2 and it should be here today. Thanks everyone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

The blurry family pictures may not have been an indication of a problem with the camera. It could have just been a result of a new photographer not knowing which settings to use. The lenses that come in the kits (I'm assuming that's what he was using) don't have particularly large apertures. That means that they aren't able to shoot with faster shutter speeds in dim lighting, like you have indoors (even when it seems to be well-lit). If you could post a couple of example pics along with the EXIF data that would show the ISO, f/stop, and shutter speed settings that the camera used for that image, it would help diagnose the problem. He may have simply had a slow shutter speed setting, which will cause motion blurred pictures. Another possibility is that the lens may have inadvertently been set to manual focus instead of autofocus. That would cause out of focus pictures.

Comment

^^^ +1
              Get a used 50mm f1.8 for the indoor/low light shots, allows you to use a faster shutter speed as Shane was explaining.

Comment

Working...
              X