Brush Pile Burning Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brush Pile Burning Question

How long typically does it take for a brush pile to burn down?

Obviously there is a lot of variables but in general.

Just wondering if I can get a pile burned down over a two day weekend trip.

It’s a pretty good sized pile. Mostly consisting of dead oak limbs and some trunks. It’s is very dead and dry. Been dead for many years.

This is the first or many to burn on my property it it’s right by the cabin and had some construction trash in there so it needs to go.

Any tips for burning are welcome also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It'll burn down in a couple of hours but will have coals in it for probably a week, maybe longer.

Comment

There are a lot of burn bans still in effect so call the county first.

Comment

My mom burned a brush pile with a bunch of stuff in it over the Summer. It seemed as though it was out until the wind came up. If there's still something smouldering it'll spark it back up. That brush pile was burning/smouldering for about two weeks. She'd think it was out and then the wind would blow and it was on fire again. Which ain't good. Wind+fire=oh crap.

Comment

We lit a bit one yesterday with diesel. It burn 98% of the volume inside 1 hour. We pushed it up tighter mid day. Half dozen big limbs (tree trunks) burning this morning in dark as we went to stand. Likely smoldering a few days / week is my guess, unless day decides to smother it after big logs burn.
          Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Comment

Yes you can burn it on a 2 day trip. Before you leave use a front end loader and cover with dirt. Lots of it. It will continue to smolder and break down but should keep it from getting it blown up by wind.

Or use same loader and break it down into several smaller piles but I would still cover before I left

Comment

Burned a large 35" red oak cut into 8' lengths. Piled the stumps together and the tops under and on top of them. Stirred the pile once or twice a day and it took 4 days to burn it all.

Comment

Start on the down wind side at the base of the pile. Use a hand sprayer with diesel or some thing and circle the base. The fire will draw in on itself and the bulk will be gone in no time.

Obviously you want to watch for grass or thing it can walk to. Shredding or disking around them can help.

Avoid lighting late in the evening or on a low humidity day because it's easier for embers to fly and relight.

Be sure to call local sheriff's office and let them know you will be burning in advance because some one will likely call it in any ways.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                  There are a lot of burn bans still in effect so call the county first.
                  ^^This or you may get an unwanted visit

[QUOTE=BRUTE 23;16539807]Start on the down wind side at the base of the pile. Use a hand sprayer with diesel or some thing and circle the base. The fire will draw in on itself and the bulk will be gone in no time.

Obviously you want to watch for grass or thing it can walk to. Shredding or disking around them can help.

Avoid lighting late in the evening or on a low humidity day because it's easier for embers to fly and relight.

Be sure to call local sheriff's office and let them know you will be burning in advance because some one will likely call it in any ways.

Comment

Depends on how much gas you use, jk don't use gas.

Comment

Ok. Dumb question. If you call the county, the burn ban is off, and you ask them if you can burn, are you still ultimately responsible for anything that may happen after you received the ok?
                      I’ve had dozer work done on our place and have about three piles that can be burned but don’t have a dozer on site.

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
                        Ok. Dumb question. If you call the county, the burn ban is off, and you ask them if you can burn, are you still ultimately responsible for anything that may happen after you received the ok?
                        I’ve had dozer work done on our place and have about three piles that can be burned but don’t have a dozer on site.
                        If there’s a burn ban, they are not likely to let you burn as they would be as responsible as you if it gets out. In my life I’ve burned literally hundreds of piles from big to small. It was part of my job. Only ever had two get away from me but it’s pretty **** scary knowing you could burn folks out of their homes or burn their woods/pastures up.

I misread your post, you said if the burn ban was off…..even if it’s off you are still responsible for an out of control fire is my understanding.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                          If there’s a burn ban, they are not likely to let you burn as they would be as responsible as you if it gets out. In my life I’ve burned literally hundreds of piles from big to small. It was part of my job. Only ever had two get away from me but it’s pretty **** scary knowing you could burn folks out of their homes or burn their woods/pastures up.
                          Exactly! I had a TP&W biologist tell me they’d come out and do a controlled burn them after that it’d be on me. I’m thinking “oh hail naw. I ain’t burning someone else’s property up”!
                          Can you light it up and keep it going in a light rain?

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
                            You are always responsible.

Here is the burn ban map.

Burn bans are enacted by local county government. TFS collects this information and provides a daily statewide map showing counties currently under a ban.

Comment

I think that’s what started the Bastrop fires years ago

Comment

Working...
                              X