Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Lake Bottom WMA

Howdy,

I just got drawn to hint this WMA for archery season. I have about 2 or 3 days available to hint this unit. Anybody that has hunted this unit have any advice?

Thank you

When are you going? I drew it for November 6-15. Never been there but like any East Texas spot, find the food, you’ll find the deer. Pretty sure you will need a climber and/or a lock on stand. I know of one guy that has hunted it a few years back. I’ll see if I can contact him and see if I can get some intel on the place.

Comment

I am hunting archery - October 16th through the 25th. However, I can only hunt 2 maybe 3 days total.

From searching threads on here and internet, seems like a lot of mature hardwoods everywhere so food is abundant with acorns. It floods often, highly recommended to have an ATV

Archery, not a lot of luck hunting from what I have seen. Going to start diving in and researching topo maps etc. Any tips are appreciated, either on this thread or through PM.

Comment

I've been out there a couple of times hiking. Seen a lot of deer out there.

Comment

Lots of pigs too. Yes you need a climber or 2. I set up 2 last time there and baited areas around each and set cams. Deer seemed to like tighter quarters, thicker stuff. Usually muddy out there. Lots of walking. Deer moved all day for me. Saw 2 really good bucks but they will want you to shoot spikes or 5+ year old deer. I walked into pigs almost every morning. They were not aggressive as they passed less than 10 feet from me on 2 occasions. They did scare the chit out of me. Take a game cart too. I did not have 4wd.

Comment

Thank you for sharing your experience. Do they assign you a spot? If so, is it day by day or for the entire duration? I have read mixed reviews on this part whether they do this or not.

I may try and find the biologist can give a call. Any other tips? In the future, if someone sees this thread. Send me a PM and I will let you know all the stuff I found. Unfortunately I have limited time to capitalize but will spend all day hunting and let you know what I observed.

Comment

1) carry something you can ride and will handle gumbo mud

Seems like the times we went it was wet and it would be a long walk to get anywhere from the parking lot

2) There were no "compartments" when we hunted and you could go anywhere you wanted

We went to the power line, crossed the creek and hunted mostly east of the power line

3) We hammered the pigs but never saw any great bucks, they are there but we didn't see any

4) Carry something you can ride that will handle mud. Dad has been down there when it was dry and drove his truck to the power line, every time I have been it was water and mud everywhere

Comment

I hunted by compartment. It's yours for you and the others on your card that was drawn.

Comment

Originally posted by E.TX.BOWHUNTER View Post
                  I hunted by compartment. It's yours for you and the others on your card that was drawn.
                  That is how they do most hunts

May have been because it was flooded and not but a handful of people showed up

And maybe that was just the last hunt we did there too, it has been a few years since we last got to hunt it

Comment

Are there trails to access the more remote spots? Also, I know Richland Creek has a compartment map available online. Is there also one for this place?

Comment

I got drawn for this unit as well in December for archery. This will be the first time for me to hunt up here for deer. I have duck hunted up there several years back when it was super flooded. Does the baiting seem to work with the deer or just the pigs?

Comment

Last year there were no compartments. It was dry. We had opportunities on does. Got pigs. Game cart is a must. Ended up quartering our pigs and packing out about 3/4 mile. Saw a monster rub line but I think we blew him out the first weekend. At first I thought a tractor hit a tree but after we saw the next two rubs we knew he was a monster. We didn't draw first round last year but won on the second draw. Hoping we have the same luck this year. If we draw this year were using saddles. It was work carrying a stand in. We didn't need 4wd last year. I'm thinking of renting a UTV or my son's 4wd as his is made for that stuff. There's a parking lot to camp on and a convenience store a mile away. This year we will probably just sleep in the back of our truck. Most people went east. We went southwest. I think more deer are seen east. Their ARs are stricter than usual. Gate opens at 5 each morning and out an hour and half after shooting time. I liked how it was run. Good luck. I'll give more pointers after I know my draw status. Yes, I'm selfish

Comment

Fair enough Yeah I started scouting using satellite mapping last night. I like the southwest area and I like directly East as well. There is a spot directly West I am curious about as well but I am sure gets hit up. I need to look but I may be the first group to hunt the WMA this year. That may have some advantages. I have some areas I want to hit up, after that it will just be what happens at check in and if we get assigned a spot or however that will work.

From there I will just be trying to find heavy sign. I plan on bringing my saddle and using a 4 wheeler for part of the way. However, I plan on doing mostly walking. Are there established trails for a 4 wheeler? How many people are picked to hunt during each of these date ranges?

Comment

There were appx 28 slots last year. There are a few roads but most is walk in. The west side has a landowner that sometimes trespasses. Relations aren't good so I've heard. There were blinds and feeders right on the fence. We didn't go east so can't talk about that side. You'll want to drive as far as you can as some of those crossings are deeper than boots.

Comment

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
                              There were appx 28 slots last year. There are a few roads but most is walk in. The west side has a landowner that sometimes trespasses. Relations aren't good so I've heard. There were blinds and feeders right on the fence. We didn't go east so can't talk about that side. You'll want to drive as far as you can as some of those crossings are deeper than boots.

Must be some toads over there for that neighbor to keep trespassing and making a fuss. I have read on facebook that there are toads killed by people all around this unit on hunting leases directly bordering it.

Comment

Working...
                              X