Weld Up or Bolt Up Building

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weld Up or Bolt Up Building

Pricing the two and the weld up buildings seem to be significantly cheaper. I used to be a welder but looking at the offset of time to put one together. If I turn key it to a contractor, am I going to blow the money saved on labor if I go that route? 40x60x16 with 15ft awnings running the 60 ft lengths of the building.

Originally posted by Mr. Whiskers View Post
    Pricing the two and the weld up buildings seem to be significantly cheaper. I used to be a welder but looking at the offset of time to put one together. If I turn key it to a contractor, am I going to blow the money saved on labor if I go that route? 40x60x16 with 15ft awnings running the 60 ft lengths of the building.
    Torqued steel connections are supposed to be as strong as welds.......well, thats what structural engineers have told me anyway. Less babysitting.

Comment

My mom's 3rd ex-husband erects buildings. He did our barndo shell.

When he started, 20+ years ago, he welded everything.
      Now he will only use bolt up kits.

He says there is no difference, if they're put together right, and it's cheaper to put together the bolt up, even though the kit may cost a little more. He says, in the end, the bolt up are slightly cheaper when you factor materials and labor.

Comment

Only difference in the two is bolt up cost more.

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
          My mom's 3rd ex-husband erects buildings. He did our barndo shell.

When he started, 20+ years ago, he welded everything.
          Now he will only use bolt up kits.

He says there is no difference, if they're put together right, and it's cheaper to put together the bolt up, even though the kit may cost a little more. He says, in the end, the bolt up are slightly cheaper when you factor materials and labor.
          X2

Comment

Last I heard the bolt up kits were months and months back ordered. May check that before deciding between the two

Comment

Weld up can be purchased Ag exempt, bolt up cannot.

Comment

bolt ups are a couple months out, if you go weld up make sure you see ho wits built. There are a lot of short cut lesser weld up buildings and after last February a lot of these short cuts came to light.

An engineered bolt up may be a little more up front, but if your welder isnt good, he can eat you alive in labor.

Comment

Using torque indicating washers and calibrated tools may be an option. Welding quality is always suspect. And, weld areas are subject to rust.

Comment

We did a Mueller 40x80 bolt up a few years ago. Back then the weld up would of saved us $5-$6K all in from what I recall. My pops got sucked into the "engineered warranty" so went with the bolt up.

I've seen a few barndo builders doing hybrids. Main beams are bolt up and the rest is welded. I'm guessing b/c the bolt up beams are engineered?
                    Last edited by FUB; 10-12-2021, 01:56 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

There are 3 going up at the lake. 2 bolt ups and a weld. The bolt ups are ahead and started after the other

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

you may not have a choice depending on the location... It might need to be engineered bolt up...
                        Having said that weld up is the way I went, cheaper and i dunno if its my preference of a solid weld vs some overtightened bolt

Comment

Mine is weld up. It's been through several hurricanes in the past few years. If it's a barndo I'd want weld up you will lose floor space because of the main support post on a bolt up..
                          Last edited by jds247; 10-12-2021, 02:53 PM.

Comment

I went with weld up due to what we are using it for, much cleaner look inside and local guy was much cheaper than the bolt up guys. 60x90 with 15 ft porches all around and took less than 2 weeks to build.

www.bellavitafarmstx.com is our bldg. Weld up was much easier for me to finish out interior the way we planned it being built. I would be scared to think how much it would be to build today......steel all came from J and I in Madill. Signs on it are from Hometown metal works on here.

Comment

City code here mandates a bolt up...

Comment

Working...
                              X