TexasBowhunter.com Community  Discussion Forums

TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/index.php)
-   Around the Campfire (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Vinyl Plank or Engineered Hardwood? (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=807808)

Sleepy 04-26-2021 09:56 PM

Vinyl Plank or Engineered Hardwood?

Getting ready to slap some new floors down. Canít decide between the two. I just canít get past the cheaper look of the vinyl plank, but maybe itís hard to see the whole picture with the 2x2 samples.

Marced 04-26-2021 10:08 PM

I’m not a fan of the vinyl plank. Looks cheap and feels cheap. But on the bright side it is not as expensive to pull out when you want to change it.

Dave W 04-26-2021 10:09 PM

Look up regal hardwood floors
Good stuff

spotsanddots 04-26-2021 10:27 PM

We actually have the vinyl plank in our house. When its over the entire floor its different than looking at a strip. And its dang bear indestructible. We slide furniture to clean floors. Let dog Walk in with wet feet (lol). Only drawback so far is, they put it down directly on the cement. Its got a little cushion, but otherwise its pretty dang hard. But we like it.

Roscoe 04-26-2021 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spotsanddots (Post 15589895)
We actually have the vinyl plank in our house. When its over the entire floor its different than looking at a strip. And its dang bear indestructible. We slide furniture to clean floors. Let dog Walk in with wet feet (lol). Only drawback so far is, they put it down directly on the cement. Its got a little cushion, but otherwise its pretty dang hard. But we like it.

I agree. We had it in our home in Georgetown for probably 12-15 years. Raised a couple of kids on it and had indoor dogs (one was a lab). We had it in the living room, down the hall and in both kids rooms. It survived the kiddos and pooches remarkably well. Sold the house last year with that flooring in it w/o issue. Would it be my first choice in flooring? Probably not, but if I still had a house full of kids and dogs Iíd install it again in a heartbeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Briar Friar 04-26-2021 11:55 PM

Vinyl plank will survive several water leaks without being torn up.
Engineered hardwood will not survive several water leaks without being torn up.

Vinyl plank will show cracks in the slab as they appear during curing and settling over 10-15 years.
Engineered hardwood will not show cracks in the slab as they appear during curing and settling over 10-15 years.

Good luck Sleepy.

CamoQuest 04-27-2021 08:52 AM

We put LVP from Flooret down in our entry room as a trial. It looks the same today as it did when I installed it. We have dogs, kids, and boots tramping in and out every day, and after a quick wipe with a damp mop, it looks good as new.

rferg84 04-27-2021 09:09 AM

We love out LVP, what we chose was a high end option and not that much cheaper than engineered hardwood. We have four kids and three dogs and it's held up to their abuse for 5 years and still looks new.

I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. In fact, we will be when we build.

Slabby 04-27-2021 09:41 AM

SPC. Find one that is registered and embossed. That market has moved away from vinyl. If going in any wet areas, definitely stay away from real wood in wet areas.

texan4ut 04-27-2021 09:55 AM

Some vinyl plank better than others. I appraise a lot of high end homes with the high dollar VP and I sometimes have to take a closer look to make sure it is not wood.

MLank 04-27-2021 09:59 AM

OP, you've received good repsonses about people that have LVP in their house. I'll agree to the durability, we put in our house 6 years ago.

However, I think you're gut feeling is correct, they will look/feel "cheap". Not bad, but you will know it. I don't mind it bc we are in the beginning stages of raising 3 kids and the floors will be taking continual abuse, yet they give the house a much better look than the old carpet we replaced.

So, depending on how hard you will be on them, I'd probably go with your gut feeling, pay a little more but get the look you want.

hogslayer78 04-27-2021 10:08 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I just laid vinyl floors for my sister in her new house 2 weeks ago. It actually looks really great and feels really great. I wasn't sure before I started because it was kind of thin to me. I have laminate in my house that I put down 14 years ago and still looks new also. This is what I laid down for her. After finishing it I really like the vinyl.

Gclyde12 04-27-2021 10:08 AM

I would look at the higher end vinyl planks that have a pre-attached pad on the back. It will give you the durability of the vinyl plank but will also be much more comfortable under foot.

hogslayer78 04-27-2021 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gclyde12 (Post 15590329)
I would look at the higher end vinyl planks that have a pre-attached pad on the back. It will give you the durability of the vinyl plank but will also be much more comfortable under foot.

I agree with this also and put the premium stuff down for the moisture barrier. Its way thicker than normal plastic and is like extra padding.

rferg84 04-27-2021 10:46 AM

Quote:

This^^^ours had a cork type pad and its nice.

1riot1ranger 04-27-2021 10:55 AM

I'm in the vinyl plank club. Go with the higher end stuff. I put it in my own house when built and its all I'll ever put in rental property. For all the reasons already said.

MBV77 04-27-2021 11:21 AM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...d8d38d9745.jpg
Hereís my VP right after it was put down. It looks ok I guess, but I had to start wearing old man slippers because itís rough on the feet. Also if you drop a piece of firewood on it itíll dent the **** out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Lee 04-27-2021 11:27 AM

I put VP in my rental home. Renters had it tore up in a few years. Replaced with tile and good to go since. As mentioned above the VP seems to not take abuse, kids, dogs, dropping items very well. Or that was my experience. There is a TBHer on here. I will look up his name. I believe he is around the Austin area that sells, installs flooring. He help me via messaging on advice for installation of VP in my camper.

Brett A 04-27-2021 11:54 AM

I would choose the wood. Vinyl is cold in the winter and it looks like vinyl.

Heath 04-27-2021 12:04 PM

We just put down Vinyl Plank with the padding / backing upstairs and on our stair case. We are very happy with the look and the feel. We have a big lab and that was a big factor in our decision.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...3e3b85bf73.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...2b9e172deb.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...4b1f48f31b.jpg

OldRiverRat 04-27-2021 12:10 PM

just had to replace all the flooring on our first floor due to damage after the freeze and we went with vinyl plank for the entire first floor except the master bath and it turned out very nice. for the price i think it's tough to beat.

piercebronkite 04-27-2021 01:39 PM

Getting vinyl plank installed this week and I went with the higher end stuff. My reasons are the same that everyone posted above.

westtexducks 04-27-2021 03:44 PM

We have been very happy with the lifeproof vinyl panels we have been putting in all of our houses. I hate wood floors in houses, if it gets wet it will ruin it. We have been slowly redoing the house with the lifeproof floors and it is holding up great in the guest room and in the kids room so far. And doing great in the 4 rent houses we have put it down in.

riverbowman 04-27-2021 04:28 PM

If you go LVP, be sure and check the wear layer thickness compared to others. The thicker the better.

roccobbb 06-11-2021 05:39 AM

I have vinyl plank flooring throughout my new house. I've only been here for a month, so keep that in mind with my review.

If I had done the renovation on my house, I doubt I would have even considered vinyl plank, but it was here and brand new, so I wasn't going to change it at that stage. Well, so far I really love the flooring. It's attractive and feels much more comfortable and soft to my feet than hardwood or tile. I was worried about the softness with my dog, as well as moving in, moving boxes and furniture and everything around, but so far I have not noticed any scratches. For the basement we went for festfloor microcement

tdwinklr 06-11-2021 05:53 AM

I replaced the vinyl flooring on our entrance/mud room and our main bedroom with the VP that has the pad underneath. It looks great and holds up real well. Obviously the entrance gets a lot of traffic, the VP still looks new after several years down. Got it at Sam's Club, can't remember the name. Wish I had bought more to do two more rooms/closets.

c3products20 06-11-2021 06:11 AM

We had to replace the entire wood floor in our house from a dishwasher leak. Insurance covered everything except the deductible but we still had to go through the hassle, moving furniture out/around, and move out for a week! If we would of had vinyl we wouldn't of had to replace the floor. We also have 4 boys that are constantly dropping stuff and knocking stuff over so we don't have to worry about them denting/scuffing it all up.

deerwatcher51 06-11-2021 06:23 AM

We put LVP in our new house at the ranch. We put in the higher end stuff, it was actually more expensive than wood. The casual observer cannot tell it is not wood.

Big pig 06-11-2021 07:59 AM

We had some VP in our old house and loved it. Put same stuff in the new house. And love the durability and not as loud or cold as tile.
We have large dogs and rocks/gravel. Not a problem.

BP

ken800 06-11-2021 08:09 AM

Quote:

This is what I did. I got something higher end that had significant variation from piece to piece with the pad pre-installed. It has fairly deep grain and texture similar to hand-scraped but not as deep. It is very comfortable to walk on and has a commercial ceramic coating on it that is really resistant to scratching. When the appraiser came to the house for our refi, they took pictures inside and he wrote on the appraisal, "Hardwood Floor", as it's really hard to tell the difference. It was about $4/square cost for the material. I laid it myself and did the entire house with no seams anywhere - even from room to room.

We have two dogs and a kid in a wheelchair. When it is raining we just throw a towel at the front door and get what we can but don't stress out over muddy paws or dirty wheelchair wheels.

Don't knock LVP until you have looked at some of the higher end stuff.

Tommyh 06-11-2021 08:11 AM

I have engineered wood on my stairs and never again. This crap chips so easily its ridiculous,

IOWA BOW HUNTER 06-11-2021 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleepy (Post 15589852)
Getting ready to slap some new floors down. Canít decide between the two. I just canít get past the cheaper look of the vinyl plank, but maybe itís hard to see the whole picture with the 2x2 samples.

I went with lifeproof Vinyl in my first house two years ago. Not the cheapest stuff but I loved it, held up really well.

-Jack

Smart 06-11-2021 08:22 AM

We are headed toward vinyl plank ourselves with future labs and everything we have looked at at several friends' houses looks great.....even after several years. I helped another buddy lay his entire house last month. It had the black padding and locked in great. Like above I have had to double take when first seeing them to make sure its not wood. I like the waterproof aspect as well.

What are we calling higher ended stuff fellas? I'm seeing $3.25-$4 square foot for the stuff that is back padded.

Smart 06-11-2021 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IOWA BOW HUNTER (Post 15657457)
I went with lifeproof Vinyl in my first house two years ago. Not the cheapest stuff but I loved it, held up really well.

-Jack

This is what we laid down last month at my buddy's place. Lifeproof Rigid Core. I liked it.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...34eedf0459.jpg

IOWA BOW HUNTER 06-11-2021 08:23 AM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...df6f3ba072.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IOWA BOW HUNTER 06-11-2021 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smart (Post 15657462)
This is what we laid down last month at my buddy's place. Lifeproof Rigid Core. I liked it.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...34eedf0459.jpg

Ya, I was skeptical at first but it turn out really well. I have a big dog that runs around inside and the floor hasnt been beat up by him at all since I installed it two years ago. I sweep and mop it weekly and that hasnt even seemed to effect the shine on it yet. I didnt want to shell out to much money for wood floors just because it will be used as a rental in the future.

friscopaint 06-11-2021 08:52 AM

I hate our engineered floors, water destroys them in kitchen and never again will I go with dark floors living in the country

Grndchecker 06-11-2021 09:05 AM

We just replaced flooring in my entire house due to freeze damage. Our bedrooms had carpet, but the rest was already vinyl plank that was 21 years old. The 21 year old flooring was indestructible to kids and dogs. We went with Ascension brand and a darker color. Did the whole house cheaper than what we could have replaced the carpet.