Could use some advice/tips on starting a YouTube channel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally committed to starting a YT channel. If I would’ve started it two or three years ago it might’ve been better. Missed out on lots of good video content that’ll be hard to reproduce.

Do sponsors only get interested once you reach enough subscribers? It’s going to take some moolah to afford ammo and decent video equipment. Looks like I’ll just have to start with crumbs.

Sounds like the editing part takes longer than the initial video. Is that correct?

Years ago I worked on creating videos and brainstorming for content. At least I have a little experience there. But keeping people interested and affording to as well as making quality videos will certainly be a challenge. It’s gonna take more than just myself to be successful. I’ve already got relatives willing to help in front of and behind the cameras.

Would you guys who have become good at YT videos care to share advice?

[ame="https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_MaJDK3VNE"]EDS, an HP Company 'Cat Herders' - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

I don’t post YT but I follow a few channels. On the outside looking in and usually watching several videos a day I would say....

Editing is everything. It doesn’t require music being dubbed into it. I think the good ones probably do a few takes and clip the best sections.

The channels that I follow do at least once a week, twice seems common and a couple more often than that. I wouldn’t do it too often though unless you have ideas for many different videos. If successful you are going to have to do hundreds of videos eventually.

The personality of the person(s) on camera is high up there with editing. You don’t need to be a laughing idiot but people aren’t going to watch grumpy gus repeatedly. Laughing is okay, smiling is okay and even straight forward sometimes is okay but the on camera isn’t likeable, no one is going to watch.

From the channels that I have followed, I think that most don’t have any staff except maybe a person on camera. Maybe most doing have a moving camera and I suspect are a one person company. I can almost guarantee that most of them probably are a one person show unless there is help editing.

So in order...
      1. Editing
      2. Personality or delivery.
      3. Enough content to post often, at least once a week.
      4. Keep the videos relatively short, maybe 5-10 minutes or so. The channels I follow run generally 3-15 minutes. When I am searching for a topic, especially if I am trying to do something (cook, history, repair something, dtc.) and I see a 25 minute video, I usually pass. Certainly there are exceptions such as long technical topics that simply require that long videos. Those long videos might cit a need at that moment but I rarely go back to one. That doesn’t do much for subscribers to a channel.

I would view several channels and find the ones you like their delivery, even if a completely different topic. Note how many views they have on an episode and how many subscribers they have. That is how I have formed my ideas on the topic.

Of course you may know all of that...

In my opinion.

Comment

Number one turn off for a video is poor audio. Second is poor video quality. As mentioned above, short, sweet, to the point. No diatribes... Gotta remember the target audience for YouTube videos are millennials... They prefer the microwave over the oven.

What would your content cover exactly?

Comment

There's a few guys on here that are pretty successful at YouTube, Michael the owner of TBH being one of them. You will need to have 10-20k subs before sponsors will be even remotely interested and that could take several years if your good at it.
          Start out with your phone if you habe to and work up from there.

My goal this year is to get to 1k subs. I've bought a nice camera and editing software and I'm hitting that upload button as much as possible.
          Heres my channel
          Howdy! We are the Mathis family. Our channel is all about our family of 5 and our simple life in Texas! We live north of Ft Worth on a small 1 acre property. We have chickens, a garden, raise our own pigs for meat, as well as meat chickens! We enjoy camping, hunting and fishing. We are a very active outdoor family. We also run a small part time taxidermy business that has grown a lot the last few years! It keeps us very busy during hunting season. We look forward to sharing our lives through YouTube this coming year. We have several projects we will share and also our daily lives. Please subscribe and join us!

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
            Number one turn off for a video is poor audio. Second is poor video quality. As mentioned above, short, sweet, to the point. No diatribes... Gotta remember the target audience for YouTube videos are millennials... They prefer the microwave over the oven.

You're 32 according to your profile. You prefer the microwave over the oven? Or unaware you're a millennial? lol

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
              You're 32 according to your profile. You prefer the microwave over the oven? Or unaware you're a millennial? lol
              I feel millennials started the day after I was born. Yes, I am one, but I really don't think I have a lot in common with them.

And it was just a metaphor explaining how millennials have to have things done fast, have no patience, need instant gratification, etc.

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

Comment

[ame="https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B8ISzf2pryI"]Denver Official Guilty Dog Video www.facebook.com/guiltydog - YouTube[/ame]

I got no advice for you but...

A buddy of mine did this video several years ago. He had no idea it would take him at the time. 53 million views!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I’m 73 in March and I watch quite a bit of YouTube, especially on tv. Lately I’m caught up in a Canadian who lost his business and moved to the woods. He built a cabin by hand with nothing but old tools, draw knife, adz, axe, hand saws, etc. His vids run 25 minutes and I can’t turn my head because it’s so interesting. That may be an anomaly, although I can and do watch longer hog hunting, and handgun hunting vids.

Other than those or historical or biographical types, I tend to agree with the short and to the point view. I also agree with the personality in front of the camera. One more thing, speak like I’m deaf, enunciate, because I am. If it was easy everybody would do it, give it a whirl !

Comment

Here is a good video on tips...

I think this guys is one of the top YT'ers...

Also, if this is a hunting/gun channel, YT often times does not allow monetization of those videos, citing violence. And about a year or so ago, YT made it very hard to make any money off videos. Sponsorships is going to be the way to go.

Just things to consider. Wishing you good luck. Let us know when you launch and I will subscribe!

Comment

Looking forward to the cows gone wild videos

Comment

I follow quite a few channels regarding my varying interests. One of the worst thing a hunting channel can do is push a product. People gravitate to YouTube, and not hunting channels on tv, because it's great content without the typical sales message. There are channels I really like but if a particular video is clearly a product push I don't watch it.

Look at The Hunting Public. They will throw out an OnX coupon code but don't have to name every product they use. You'll make money on all the Mike Bloomberg commercials before, during, and after your videos once you get enough subscribers.

Most of the very popular channels use every social media to get their name out.

Put videos up on a regular basis.

I hate to say it but a lot of channels get popular with click bait titles. I wouldn't recommend that. I have quit some channels that have good content most of the time because they throw a clickbait title in a little too often. They seem to work though. It's like people saying they hate a pushy sales guy but those are the ones who sell the most.

Comment

I agree with up above. It sounds like your going to do primarily gun content. The first thing that makes me turn it off is a ******y guy who didn’t know what their talking about. Not saying that you at all, be sure to let us know what it is!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post

Assuming it would be about the every day life or death experiences of him working cattle lol

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Just put up a pic of an attractive girl in leggings and people will click on it [emoji38]

“Fools multiply when wise men are silent” -Nelson Mandela

Comment

Working...
                              X