Who has stained concrete floors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who has stained concrete floors?

We are getting ready to put flooring down for our cabin, and was wondering how everyone’s floors have held up to pet traffic? I have three Rottweiler’s in the house now in town and just didn’t know how the seal on the concrete would hold up to bigger paws and claws. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have had dogs on our stained floors since 2006. Just keep the mop and glow handy and you won't have an issue in my opinion. We love our floors and plan on doing stained concrete with the new home we plan to build this year.

Comment

My experience is you will need to retreat the concrete about every 5 years so the stain isn’t scratched

Comment

Id just polish the concrete, no stain if its a cabin. If it was up to me I would have done that to my house also. The stain looks good but you have to keep up with maintenance.

Comment

All floors require maintenance. We have stained concrete in our house and have always had big dogs, that’s the reason we went with stained concrete. It’s held up to the dogs better than the regular foot traffic. We don’t do mop and glo and have no visible scratches, etc. keep it simple.

Comment

Originally posted by SL1 View Post
            Id just polish the concrete, no stain if its a cabin. If it was up to me I would have done that to my house also. The stain looks good but you have to keep up with maintenance.

This will be our new home, so boss lady is gonna want a “pretty” stain lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We have them and love them. The only problem is they are a little high maintenance. We live in the country so there is always dust and dog hair. A rumba helps, but will not get everything. We wax them twice a year.

The one thing that will eventually cross your mind with dogs and normal dust and dirt is ( man carpet is disgusting with all the dirt and dog hair it traps and you never know it is there)

Comment

If you're interested in stained concrete, look into metallic epoxy before you pull the trigger. A little more expensive, but no wear paths....ever.

Comment

We used a water based stained in our cabin and its been holding up good. We have a lab and he doesn't hurt it one bit.

Comment

I have stained concrete and I totally love it! No carpet anywhere in my house, except I did add an area rug in the living room for the grandkids to play on.

Ideally, you should sweep the floors daily and if I do that with a wide dry Swiffer, I can do it in 10-15 minutes (2200 sq ft.) I mop as often as I can, but that might average to once a month. If I go more than a couple of days, I'll use the vacuum set to floors (carpet mode off).

Ours is diamond polished, non-sealed. In high traffic areas, it soaks up liquid spills but the low traffic areas repel the liquid. It's been almost 7 years since we built so it is probably time to polish or have a pro polish them.

We did learn a long time ago that if we spill something other than water or the dog barfs on the floor, wipe it up asap, then spray a mix of Pine Sol and water let it set for several seconds then lay paper towels over the sprayed area and leave them until the towels are dry. The spill stain will disappear.

My dog loves the floors, too. He'll chase after his toy and before he gets to it he'll hit the brakes and slide into it.

Comment

I thought it was your cabin. Disregard!

Comment

We went with the below company on our floors. It's been almost 2 years and they still look like new. Do the diamond polish. Zero dust and no foot prints.

Comment

Stain it with Opaque stain, and then use clear epoxy. My dad did his back in 2002 and still looks good to this day without retouching it.

Comment

We had them in our old house. Used Kemiko concrete stain and an acrylic based sealer. We only had my wifes mutt(****zu) in the house but it held up well the 4 years we lived there, even in high traffic areas.

Comment

We didn't do the acid stain because there was carpet previously and the stain wouldn't etch where the glue had been. Se we had it dyed and coated. Looks great and has been down for 10 years.

Comment

Working...
                              X