Company not following union contract

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Company not following union contract

So I work for Sherwin Williams paint co at the plant in garland we are a union plant under contract the company wanted to add another person to forklift shop which the contract states they must post any hourly position for 7 days on the bulletin board in clock alley which the company did not do. When I heard they hired a new person I went to the hr manger who was not in so was directed to the plant manager asked him about it he did not know so was told they would look into it about 45 minutes later was called to his office along with shop manager and the plant engineer and was told they all talked about it and I was wrong and they did what they were supposed to couple hrs later plant engineer called me to the side and Sadie that they looked into it more and that I was right the contract was not followed and that it would be corrected so a week later no job posting and the new person has started I have been there for 18 years and I have been in the shop for 5 years I wanted that job do I have a case for the labor board yes I want to take it there the company and union aren’t doing what they are supposed to I have no respect for the leadership in the shop and this is not the only thing that makes me feel this way when you are told when you ask a question to the maintenance manager and his reply is your a big boy you will figure it out the. You are in a position that you do not belong in

Why haven’t you filed a grievance with your union? That should have been done day one. The union needs to hold the company accountable to the contract

Comment

Sorry to hear that. Is there a labor relations department within HR? May need to take it to them. I would say file a grievance but sounds like even the union is not cooperating. I am not sure of other options outside of your union and labor relations.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
        Why haven’t you filed a grievance with your union? That should have been done day ine
        I talked to the union about it that day they said we will talk to them and that was it I’m a not a member so they will not fight I’m filing a complaint with Texas workforce and naming them in it as well

Comment

If you aren't covered under the contract then I don't think you would have a leg to stand on. Am I missing something?

Comment

Originally posted by jgard View Post
            I talked to the union about it that day they said we will talk to them and that was it I’m a not a member so they will not fight I’m filing a complaint with Texas workforce and naming them in it as well

Well if you’re not a member they won’t do anything for you they don’t have to. Good luck. I don’t really think you have much of a case without union support

Comment

If you aren't a member you will not receive their benefits. Sorry to tell you but the TX workforce is not going to listen to your case either.

This is a union specific case and you aren't a member of the union.

Comment

The. Why I am I help to their standard if I walk into hr they tell me I have to have them there

Comment

I take that back, you will receive their benefits as in you get the pay etc they fight for but they aren't going to represent you on a grievance case.

Comment

The. Why I am I help to their standard if I walk into hr they tell me I have to have them there

You still work under the union contract. Like I said they probably won’t do anything they don’t HAVE to. You can still file a grievance, but don’t expect much representation to be done on your behalf. You reap the benefits of bargained pay even though you don’t pay the dues. Just part of the deal. If the new hire is a union member then you’re really screwed

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunterhelm View Post
                      I take that back, you will receive their benefits as in you get the pay etc they fight for but they aren't going to represent you on a grievance case.
                      They have to by law

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                        You still work under the union contract. Like I said they probably won’t do anything they don’t HAVE to. You can still file a grievance, but don’t expect much representation to be done on your behalf. You reap the benefits of bargained pay even though you don’t pay the dues. Just part of the deal. If the new hire is a union member then you’re really screwed
                        I told them 6 times 18 years ago to get me a application and I would join I’m still waiting on that application

Comment

They have to by law
                          They have to act like they are representing you.. don't think for a sec that you will get the same representation as a paying member..

Comment

Originally posted by jds247 View Post
                            They have to act like they are representing you.. don't think for a sec that you will get the same representation as a paying member..
                            But they are not even trying that’s the point they know a more sin or guy wants the position and is a paying member

Comment

But they are not even trying that’s the point they know a more sin or guy wants the position and is a paying member
                              Then I'd let that guy file a grievance.

Comment

Working...
                              X