Chainsaw Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chainsaw Help

In need of a new chainsaw for our farm. Currently, have a gas-powered unit but I am thinking of purchasing a battery-operated saw. Has anyone used a battery-operated saw on their farm? I am worried about run time and charge time slowing down our work.

i work for a Stihl dealer,, as of right now most of the battery saws are aimed at small, weak, and older people who really have a hard time staring a saw,, and run time is not great but they are nice around a yard,,, if you need a chain saw, buy a gas one,,,, batteries are getting better but they are not there yet

Comment

Buy once, cry once. Stihl ms261 with a 18" bar, premix 2-cycle and will never have an issue at "farm-use" work loads.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
        Buy once, cry once. Stihl ms261 with a 18" bar, premix 2-cycle and will never have an issue at "farm-use" work loads.
        This is good advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
          Listen to this. Pretty sure saws and cuttin trees is his bidness

I have a MS290 and have been thinking about something smaller. I have a friend who is the grounds supervisor for a large school district. He carries a battery operated stihl in his tool box for quick work. He likes it for ease of use here and there. Trouble is a good electric saw costs almost as much as a gas saw

Comment

I havecstihl ms 180 with 16 in bar. Light weight easy to start and cuts most anything I need around out 5 acres. Wont break the bank

Comment

Buy a commercial Stihl saw and don’t look back, the battery saws are decent but they won’t last long being used all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                Listen to this. Pretty sure saws and cuttin trees is his bidness

I have a MS290 and have been thinking about something smaller. I have a friend who is the grounds supervisor for a large school district. He carries a battery operated stihl in his tool box for quick work. He likes it for ease of use here and there. Trouble is a good electric saw costs almost as much as a gas saw
                I have one of these 19 years and just used it yesterday. Still going strong but I am also looking at lighter but will be a stihl.

Comment

I have three saws. Two Dewalt battery operated. And, one Echo 16" gas.

The Dewalt 60V 16" gets used the most. The Dewalt 12" 20V the least. The 60V is a beast for a battery operated saw. But, for a few hours of heavy duty work the gas is the better option.

For firewood around the camp I mostly use the 16" 60V.

Comment

I have several Stihl Saws. Can't beat them

MS 194 with 14" bar for light duty Wife and kids can use this small saw
                    MS 290 with 16" bar for normal firewood and most trees
                    MS 391 with 20" bar for beast mode

The MS 194 is the favorite. Light weight and ease of use

Comment

I have a craftsman 18" chainsaw that I found on the side of the road when I was a junior in high school 19 years ago. Haven't ran it in 3 years. Put oil and gas in it last week for a project I'm about to start gave her 3 pulls and she fired up just like the day I found her.

Comment

We have Stihl gas saws and Makita battery saws in our rental fleet. People like both, but I would go gas if you are working the saw hard on a daily basis.

Comment

unless you are using it for really light work, go gas.

Stihl saw of your preferred size and weight, ONLY run pre-mix gas like the Stihl stuff or TruFuel from day one and it'll give you years of trouble-free use.

Comment

If you already have a gas saw then I thing a battery saw is just fine. I got a battery powered pole saw off of amazon last week. I used it over the weekend to trim roads. I can tell you that saw lasted longer than me on a charge. I think it actually cut better than my Husqvarna 44 that I have had for years.

Comment

The way I see it is if you’re already balls deep in a cordless setup I.e. Dewalt, Milwaukee or others and already have a crapload of batteries to use then I would get a cordless chainsaw. I’ve got one and love it for quick little work and if I use it extensively I’ve got a lot of batteries to go through. But chainsaws use a lot of power and go through batteries so if you don’t have a few batteries already I don’t think it’s worth buying a battery chainsaw. With that being said When I’m going out to cut firewood I take the gas powered chainsaws. So I guess what I’m saying is buy both types hahaha

Comment

Working...
                              X