Homemade Scent Killer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homemade Scent Killer

I saw another thread about using a vanilla cover scent, so I thought I'd post my homebrew. This recipe was posted on another site and I've been using it for 3 years now. I go by the "best scent is no scent" regimine, so that's what this is. I think it works:

Homebrew No Scent

2 cups- Distilled Water
    2 cups- Hydrogen Peroxide (3%)
    1/4 cup- Baking Soda
    1 oz- Unscented Soap

Mix all ingredients and let sit and combine for a few days.
    You can make a bigger/smaller batch by varying qty's accordingly, but this batch amount is enough for me to go all season.

Hope someone else gets as good of results from this as I have.

Hey Briers, What brand unscented soap do you use?

Comment

sounds good. i think im gonna try it. thanks

Comment

As far as the unscented soap, I use the same brand I shower up with, but I'm not brand specific. I just buy whatever Academy or Walmart or where ever I'm at has. It's usually HS Specialties or Scent Killer (I think that's the brand, the one w/ the yellow label and red writing).

It's that green liquid body wash soap in the hunting section.

Comment

Sounds good, I will give it a try, thanks for sharing.

Comment

Thanks for the recipe. Did I also read read somewhere that you need to leave the lid off for a few days while the brew sits?

Comment

It did say that Berandel, but I haven't had any blow up on me, yet!!

I've also thought about cutting back on the soap a little because this does foam some when i pour it in the spray bottle, but if it ain't broke don't fix it...

Comment

That recipe works! I too, would cut the soap in half.

I've used that recipe without the soap for three seasons with good results, the soap helps it stick a little longer. Either way I always reapply everytime I go to the stand.

The first time I made it I stored it that same day in the peroxide bottle. The next day I found the bottle empty, split down the seam. Don't screw the lid tight for a couple of days.
                Last edited by RichII; 10-18-2006, 10:04 AM.

Comment

thanks for info

Comment

field and streams is where i saw this ...good read...

Comment

the one i saw here last year is as follows:

1.5 quarts of hydrogen peroxide 3% non scent
                      2.0 quarts distilled water
                      0.5 cup of baking soda
                      1.0 ounce unscented laundry soap

dont store in a transparent bottle. the sunlight while effect the peroxide.

it also said dont use the peroxide from the local stores because it has scent

Comment

thanks for the info.

Comment

I was going to make some with just baking soda, water and glycerin.

Comment

I can vouch for this recipe, it works!! Here's mine it's just alittle different but results are the same!!
                            • 1.5 quarts hydrogen peroxide (3 percent)
                            NOTE: Do not use the product contained in brown colored bottles from the supermarket.
                            • 2 quarts distilled water
                            • 0.5 cup baking soda
                            NOTE: I use Arm & Hammer brand baking soda
                            • 1 ounce of unscented laundry detergent
                            NOTE: I use Sport Wash laundry detergent
                            Get your peroxide from a swimming pool place and get Baquacil (blue bottle), it's 27% so you'll have to dilute it down to 3% (that's 9 parts distilled water to 1 part peroxide) but there's no smell at all!!

Comment

I forgot to add you can also make your own wipes!! Get a roll of paper towels, ease the brown roll out of the middle, cut the towels (whole roll) in half and place into a large bowl and pour scent killer over towels!! Then place into a large (gallon) ziplock bag for future use, tear off what you need (wiping sweat or stinky places!!lol)!! It'll also will take off blood from your hands and clothing!!

Comment

Working...
                              X