New Blind set up...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Blind set up...

Well, I got tired of not seeing anything from my ladderstand overlooking my feeder, then driving out the road and seeing deer running everywhere on both sides of the road not 100 yards west of my stand. To make things worse...another guy on my lease hunts out of a ground blind about 600 yards to my west and has been seeing a lot of deer, including a bachelor group of "legal" bucks.

So I did it. I bought a BigFoot Pop-up blind with the locking hub system off of eBay for $91. I set it up 100 yards from my current ladderstand and feeder just off of the road. There are trails all through this area, so I feel good about it.

This is my first attempt at brushing in a blind and cutting shooting lanes.

My 30 yard shot to the east (deer's view of blind)
    Click image for larger version

Name:	30yd se_sm.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	24716066

My 20 yard shot to the east (deer's view of blind)

Name:	20yd se_sm.JPG
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	24716067

My 30 yard shot to the west(deer's view of blind)

Name:	30yd sw_sm.JPG
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	24716068

My 20 yard shot to the west (deer's view of blind)

Name:	20yd sw_sm.JPG
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	24716069

You veterans think this is brushed in good enough? The back of the blind is not brushed in at all, and it is facing the bedding area for the deer. I plan on keeping the windows closed on that side except for some "peek holes."

Here are the "cheater" version of the above pics.

Name:	30yd se_sm_circle.JPG
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	23815165

Name:	20yd se_sm_circle.JPG
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	23815166

Name:	30yd sw_sm_circle.JPG
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	23815167

Name:	20yd sw_sm_circle.JPG
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	23815168

Comment

What blind???? Looks good to me!

Comment

Originally posted by Woody5 View Post
        What blind???? Looks good to me!
        Thanks woody. Pictures make it look better than it is, but I hope they get used to it before I get back out there next week. I put rice brand out at the base of tree to the east which is a 20 yard shot, and at the base of another at 20 yards to the west.

I might walk in from the other guys blind direction (when he doesn't plan on hunting of course) and do a drag line with some Tinks #69 all the way down the road. See if I can't lure one of them "legal" bucks close enough to see how old they are.

Comment

Looks good to me. Good luck!

Comment

Looks good, BUT when you think you have it brushd in...do some more! I believe it was Rsatt that had a pic of a brushed in ground blind that was awesome and WCB has an awesome one too.

Comment

Good job. They will get used to it. If they see it.

Comment

You think I should brush in the back side? Cause you know they never come from the direction you want them too. I litterally could have 360 degree of shooting in this blind. But having all the windows open would expose my shadow.

I do have a trail that crosses behind me. I am hoping they don't mind the blind and walk on through to my "shooting windows."

What cha think?

Comment

Originally posted by Mudshack View Post
                  You think I should brush in the back side? Cause you know they never come from the direction you want them too. I litterally could have 360 degree of shooting in this blind. But having all the windows open would expose my shadow.

I do have a trail that crosses behind me. I am hoping they don't mind the blind and walk on through to my "shooting windows."

What cha think?
                  Yes I would brush in the back of the blind. The set up looks good but as you said you never know where the deer will come from.

Comment

looks good more brush is not going to hurt a thang

Comment

looks good!! good luck!!

Comment

looks good, how is the bran and vanilla working for you?

Comment

Or you could cut some brush and block the trail behind you. This would force the deer to use one of the trails that you are set up to shoot at.

Comment

All the brush in front of the blind, which you see, is alive and rooted. I just cut a hole in the brush and slide the blind in. I will have to put some time next time I am out there, into cutting/gathering brush to break up the back. Some light stuff on the top wouldn't hurt either.

Curr_dog, the deer either lightly hit, nor avoided all together the rice bran with grape jello in it. I did just put out some plain rice bran, so we will see what happens over the next week. As far as vanilla...it worked "ok" the one and only time I saw a deer. He was VERY spooky, and never relaxed. Not sure if it was my scent, the scent of a dog I ran into later, or what. Truth be told, the circumstances haven't presented a good test.

Comment

Mudshack...looks great to me. I would also throw out some chum corn everytime I went out .

Comment

Working...
                              X