Fixed Broad head vs Mechanical ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fixed Broad head vs Mechanical ??

What is every ones thoughts on fixed broad heads vs mechanical ??
    Mainly hunt white tail and pigs.
    If you like fixed what are the best ??
    If you like mechanical what are the best ??

Thanks Guys !!

Welcome to the fire.

Lots of info out there (the search function can be a bit finnicky but is very useful) and the topic is hotly debated, especially amongst certain brands. A lot of it is based on personal experience/preference. Try a few of each and come to your own conclusion. It's pretty fun trying the diff heads. Started bowhunting last year and am still doing the same thing.

I had good experiences with the Rage Hypos, though, I eventually switched to fixed. Currently shooting Muzzy 4 blades and have some SlickTricks "on-deck."

Also, either fixed/mechanical will work fine for any animals we've got around here.
    Last edited by BlackHogDown; 01-02-2019, 02:08 PM.

Comment

You'll get many different opinions on broadheads. I have only tried a few different brands of broadheads and now shoot 3 blade muzzys. One of the cheapest, great penetration and great blood trails on the animals I've shot.

Sent from my LM-X410.FG using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Revelation View Post

Thanks Guys !!
        what are you shooting (bow make and model)?
        Arrow weight?
        Draw length?
        Draw weight?

Then we can make an educated recommendation for you.

Comment

Thunder Heads are the 30/30 of broadheads. Millions of deer have been killed with them

Comment

I have the Muzzy MX-3 and the NAP spitfire double-cross. Both are amazing. I'll be doing a plywood video soon of each to satiate my curiosity. Both have taken lives, the Spitfire DC were brutal on the wound channel, and the Muzzy blow through anything. That being said, I shot an 8 pointer two days ago with that 3 blade Muzzy and he walked away from it. It passed through, completely.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks Guys !!
              When you say "the best", that boils down to someones opinion. I would narrow my decision to American made products regardless of fb or exp.

I shoot 75gr Wasp Bullets. Never had a failure, that's over 10 years of using them. Right beside them I have used some expandables for longer than that. All American made products.

If I had to narrow it down I would use the 75grWasp Bullets or the 85gr Thunderheads.

Comment

I'm shooting a Vertix and Triax.
                64 lb pull
                29" draw
                Blackeagle - Rampage arrow -350 / .001

Comment

Fixed here.
                  I’m a huge fan of the muzzy trocar switch. also magnus stingers.

Comment

The magnus black hornet ser razor 125 4 blade has been one of the most destructive high production heads I've ever shot. It just keeps producing.

Here's one of my reviews, including autopsy on a pretty good pig.

Here's a discussion of why I think the hornet is above average (other than Magnus as a company is awesome and they back their stuff up).

This fairy has a background in respiratory therapy, put simply, "RT is the study of keeping people from dying with holes and disease processes in the cardio thoracic region".
                    Broadheads make holes in the cardio thoracic region. So, it's Respiratory therapy in reverse!!

Stay tuned!!
                    Last edited by RanchFairy; 01-02-2019, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Fixed VPA or BoltCutter for me. I only double lung, they are usually asleep within forty yards. Hogs, sometimes I will just shoot right through the shoulders.

Comment

Thanks Guys !!

I prefer the mechanical advantage of two blade heads. My heads of choice are the 175 grain Simmons Tiger Shark and the 225 grain Strickland Helix. I also liked the RFA Razor Hawk 125 when it was still in production.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If you’re going to take the time to broadhead tune your bow (which is the best method for most success with a bow to get the straightest arrow flight and best penetration) then fixed is always best and I prefer QAD Exodus 100 grain swept blades. I’ve shot an axis buck through both shoulders with a clean pass through.

If shooting mechanical I’ve had my best luck with Vortex Broadheads 2.5” cutting diameter. Perfect for white tails.

Now I would say arrow weight and FOC are way important then broadhead choice.

Comment

I like rocket sidewinders and wasp jackhammers

Like a ballistic tip for arrows

Comment

The argument is usually going to come down to penetration. I shot fixed(t- heads, muzzy, slick tricks) heads for years. On deer and hog size game my question was always" how many times do I need to shoot thru this animal?" because with my set up I'd blow it thru 'em and stick it 6 inches in the ground. Switched to mechanicals( rage hypos) and still get complete pass thru's unless I hit an opposite shoulder and if that happens the improved blood trail is well worth the trade off. Plus, the improved accuracy and less hassle with tuning head aches is well worth it. Oh, my set up: stronger vanquish 62#, ce mayhems( 380 grains) 100 grain rage hypos

Comment

Working...
                              X