Formosa @ point comfort

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Formosa @ point comfort

Curious if anyone lives there or works there? Just watched a documentary on Netflix (Dirty Money) about this plant. I corroborated most of what I saw with other sites. Apparently they have consistently discharged pellets and chemicals into the bay and devastated the fishing and shrimp. Would like to hear any first hand knowledge of the town and the company.

It was not entirely surprising to see a company value money over its community. I was more shocked that texas (tceq) doesn't have much teeth in enforcing it's environmental laws (always cheaper to pay fines than comply and they never revoked a permit). As a fisherman and hunter myself I put a high value on clean water and clean air as most of you do. Hope the situation improves.

"Texas judge approves historic settlement agreement in water pollution case | The Texas Tribune" https://www.texastribune.org/2019/12...n-formosa/amp/

Mods please move to current events if needed.

Not sure about shrimp, but there’s no shortage of Oyster Boats when it’s season.
    Fishing is pretty darn good in the area in the winter time.

Several law suits against the plant for pellets in the water. (Just read link)

Obviously some truth to it or they just settled. Dang plant traffic is outrageous in the mornings and evenings.

Comment

Unsafest plant to work at imo been there back and forth over the years and never a good place to work at accidents happen there frequently, but fishing is pretty good around the area for sporting not consumption

Comment

Locals eat the fish on a regular basis. Have seen the signs stating above.
        Oysters harvested near the causeway are sold locally as well as abroad.

I only worked there about a year. I was lucky to never have been involved or around any accidents. Don’t recall hearing of any in that time period either though. But it’s been a while since I worked there.

Comment

The folks around here generally look at it as not a great place to work. Like, if you just have to have a job to get you through until a better plant is hiring you can work out there to make ends meet for a while. Or for young guys it is a place you can go get your foot in the door before moving on to something better. I've never heard good stuff about it from folks working there or who previously worked there. Now, I am an hour away from there so they guys I know who have worked there were driving a good ways and have better options closer by.

Comment

Grew up there and spent many days in water (still do actually as have smoked them this winter ). As with Alcoa and many plants on the coast they have had their issues.

Are they real ? Yes. Have they destroyed the bay system ? Absolutely not. Should they continue to be monitored ? Yep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Comment

I work at the plant . Been there 25 years . Two of the guys on the movie are liars . I know them both . Both of them got fired for policy violations . Noting to do with epa like they claim . And Dale the one who claim the Chinese mafia was after him is freaking insane . The plant has had some issues as all plants have .

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
                I work at the plant . Been there 25 years . Two of the guys on the movie are liars . I know them both . Both of them got fired for policy violations . Noting to do with epa like they claim . And Dale the one who claim the Chinese mafia was after him is freaking insane . The plant has had some issues as all plants have .
                Strummer,
                I agree with your statement, I have worked at the plant for 18 years and I know (knew) Dale personally as he was married to my Aunt.
                I have worked for other Plants around the area and I personally can't say they are any better or worse.

Comment

That Wilson lady broke into one the local plants several years ago and tied herself up to one of the vessels in the plant.

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
                    That Wilson lady broke into one the local plants several years ago and tied herself up to one of the vessels in the plant.

Was at carbide . And after the lawsuit they filed on her she was banned from having anything to do or say about the company.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazzy View Post
                      Strummer,

I agree with your statement, I have worked at the plant for 18 years and I know (knew) Dale personally as he was married to my Aunt.

I have worked for other Plants around the area and I personally can't say they are any better or worse.

I knew dale from him living in Lolita . I was a teenager and remember him being nuts then .

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
                        I knew dale from him living in Lolita . I was a teenager and remember him being nuts then .
                        Yeah he's crazy. They don't mention the million(s) dollar settlement he got when he was fired.

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
                          To bad it wasn’t in the alky unit. That would have broke her from that habbit.

Comment

From my understanding, a couple of the environmental leaders ended up going to prison or being fined personally since they were the ones who signed the reports. That is what I have heard, but I have never fact checked that.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

It has completely destroyed the fishing in the area. Stay far far away. The water is toxic to the touch and if you were to catch a fish it is instant death.

Matter of fact, it's so bad I would just avoid everything from Port Lavaca down to Port O'Connor. Go to Rockport or Matagorda just be safe.

Comment

Working...
                              X