TexasBowhunter.com Community  Discussion Forums

TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/index.php)
-   Around the Campfire (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Tiger Woods: Does Anybody Even Care? (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=634572)

NoFence 02-15-2017 02:08 PM

Tiger is the reason I started playing golf, along with millions of other people. That guy no doubt created tens of thousands of jobs in America at golf courses and shops simply by being the most dominant athlete of all time (before his downfall he won 1/4 tournaments entered with 100 more people in each tournament).

I sure as heck hope he makes a come back. Even if it's just one more major.

spikebuck 02-15-2017 02:09 PM

I care but understand why others do not.

flywise 02-15-2017 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MassMan (Post 12208433)
No, it isn't.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdchorn (Post 12208437)
Sorry, but that's just false. Look up the National Golf Foundation..........I only know this because of my involvement with Golfsmith, but according the NGF, the number of golfers and rounds played has declined every year since 2010. Ironically, that's just after Tigers ex wrapped a 7 iron around his skull.

I just read an article, it has

flywise 02-15-2017 02:10 PM

http://www.forbes.com/sites/darrenhe.../#14b86a48164e

bdchorn 02-15-2017 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flywise (Post 12208469)
I just read an article, it has

:confused:

Earth is flat. The article you linked is a year old. It says 2015 was the first increase since 2012 and there are a million articles that are contrary to that. Whatever.

This thread itself proves how galvanizing Tiger is regardless of your stance. I assist a major golf retailer in disposing of closed down stores. I can say with 100% first hand knowledge that the business of golf is down, and I hate that as a golfer.

Peace brother. We likely won't agree and that's cool. Gotta get back to work anyway

flywise 02-15-2017 02:14 PM

Some manufacturers may be experiencing some difficulties but it might be because their price point and an Obama economy. Why would anyone buy a 1200 set of clubs when you can by a second hand set for 2-300. Much of the country for the last 8 years have suffered the obama economy. When this economy really gets going nation wide more folks will have the expendable income to start buying that equipment.
Golf if just as strong today as it was 3-4 years ago when Tiger was playing good golf.

Juice 02-15-2017 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdchorn (Post 12208237)
I get the sentiment but think you severely underestimate his impact on golf. NO ONE has had a bigger impact on golf from a financial standpoint. Purse money has increased at least 10x, the number of amateur players has boomed worldwide, equipment manufacturers, etc. In fact, the single biggest reason the golf business is struggling right now is Tiger is no longer in the field.

Afraid you will continue to hear his name for several more decades

This is true

flywise 02-15-2017 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdchorn (Post 12208476)
:confused:

Earth is flat

read the article

NoFence 02-15-2017 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flywise (Post 12208423)
When Tiger came on the scene golf was about as low as low gets.
It had to go up at some point. I'll agree that even though up was the only direction it could have gone Tiger took it higher than anyone could have expected. Tiger has not been relevant in 3 years and still the sport is gaining popularity year after year. There will most likely not be a giant rise like when Tiger showed up but thats only because its not in the swamp now like it was then

Come one now... you sound like you secretly just don't like him, which is perfectly ok but... No one will ever impact golf like he did. Ever. Not the entire rest of the tour. He hit shots no one could hit, and then got the crowd to react like no one can.

NoFence 02-15-2017 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flywise (Post 12208486)
Some manufacturers may be experiencing some difficulties but it might be because their price point and an Obama economy. Why would anyone buy a 1200 set of clubs when you can by a second hand set for 2-300. Much of the country for the last 8 years have suffered the obama economy. When this economy really gets going nation wide more folks will have the expendable income to start buying that equipment.
Golf if just as strong today as it was 3-4 years ago when Tiger was playing good golf.

While I agree on the Obama comment, you're wrong again. Go talk to the manufacturers and golf courses and they'll tell you it's because tiger isn't playing. Look at the ratings every Sunday. As much as I love blaming Obama, he isn't the reason people quit watching golf.

Burntorange Bowhunter 02-15-2017 02:19 PM

I love watching Baldrick suck badly.

ghostgoblin22 02-15-2017 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pkripper (Post 12208440)
Jordan may never be the same after the Masters as Tiger was was never the same after the divorce.

bull****, Jordan bounced back very well after the masters, had 10 top 10 finishes out of 16 starts after the collapse, including a win...the field is just stacked with talent, and his ball striking was crap last year, oh yeah he also won last week...

Tiger's divorce had nothing to do with his golf failures, his injuries did...

man people who chime in on tiger clearly don't know anything about the actual facts :)

SFAbowhunter 02-15-2017 02:22 PM

Taylormade has ruined the golf industry in my eyes and I used to work for them. Taylormade produces new clubs almost every 6 months. No body in their right mind wants to spend $400 on a new driver when they know the new one will be out in 6 months and they can wait until that $400 driver is on sale, and buy it for $199. Or buy it used for less than that.

Every manufacturer of golf equipment is hurting and sales are down.

Tiger has done way more for golf than any other golfer that has played the game. Speith is the next one in line on what he has done for golf. If you asked some random person off of the street who Dustin Johnson was they wouldn't be able to tell you more than likely, but if you asked them who Tiger Woods was they would be able to tell you. The golf industry needs Tiger to stick around. Even if he isn't competing..although I hope one day he's able to because no one, not even Speith or Day or Johnson or Phil has ever played golf like Tiger has. He could make things happen that people couldn't fathom.

Marco 02-15-2017 02:25 PM

He made golf popular again. I dont see new fans running out to pick up game because of Rory, Spieth and Bubba........its just what he did for the game. Period. .......Heck he brought more minorities to game . He made game the game reachable for more people than just country club members.

ghostgoblin22 02-15-2017 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SFAbowhunter (Post 12208513)
Taylormade has ruined the golf industry in my eyes and I used to work for them. Taylormade produces new clubs almost every 6 months. No body in their right mind wants to spend $400 on a new driver when they know the new one will be out in 6 months and they can wait until that $400 driver is on sale, and buy it for $199. Or buy it used for less than that.

Every manufacturer of golf equipment is hurting and sales are down.

Tiger has done way more for golf than any other golfer that has played the game. Speith is the next one in line on what he has done for golf. If you asked some random person off of the street who Dustin Johnson was they wouldn't be able to tell you more than likely, but if you asked them who Tiger Woods was they would be able to tell you. The golf industry needs Tiger to stick around. Even if he isn't competing..although I hope one day he's able to because no one, not even Speith or Day or Johnson or Phil has ever played golf like Tiger has. He could make things happen that people couldn't fathom.

Kind of like what the car industry does, that's not taylormades fault, that's the stores fault for buying way to much stock, they make outstanding drivers/woods...their irons are crap outside of the RS1's.....I play with PXG's so kinda of biased :)

BrandonA 02-15-2017 02:26 PM

Tiger Woods transcended the game golf like no other in recent times just like Nicklaus and Arnie did in their prime. I bet I haven't watched a golf tournament in years but when Tiger was dominating I rarely missed when he was playing.

ghostgoblin22 02-15-2017 02:29 PM

tiger won with dominance, conviction, swag, charisma, fear, confidence....it is something we will never see again in golf period. If tiger had today's equipment with his body from 1999-2005 he would've won 50 times in that period, his swing/short game was flawless

SFAbowhunter 02-15-2017 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghostgoblin22 (Post 12208504)
bull****, Jordan bounced back very well after the masters, had 10 top 10 finishes out of 16 starts after the collapse, including a win...the field is just stacked with talent, and his ball striking was crap last year, oh yeah he also won last week...

Tiger's divorce had nothing to do with his golf failures, his injuries did...

man people who chime in on tiger clearly don't know anything about the actual facts :)

His golf game didn't go down hill because of his injuries...his game went to crap once he wife found out about all of the ladies he was sleeping with. :rolleyes:

SFAbowhunter 02-15-2017 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghostgoblin22 (Post 12208523)
Kind of like what the car industry does, that's not taylormades fault, that's the stores fault for buying way to much stock, they make outstanding drivers/woods...their irons are crap outside of the RS1's.....I play with PXG's so kinda of biased :)

Taylormade and all of the other manufacturers set the prices...not the retailers. ;)b

flywise 02-15-2017 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SunsUpGunsUp (Post 12208502)
While I agree on the Obama comment, you're wrong again. Go talk to the manufacturers and golf courses and they'll tell you it's because tiger isn't playing. Look at the ratings every Sunday. As much as I love blaming Obama, he isn't the reason people quit watching golf.

Read the article
Participation, and viewership are both up.

As for whether or not i like tiger.....i did, i give him credit for what golf has become. What i dont like is watching an event and all the talk on the broadcast is about a man who has not been relevant on the course in 3 years.

Breezy 02-15-2017 02:36 PM

started watching golf cause of him and stopped once he stopped winning. so yes I would love for him to get back to winning.

Ironman 02-15-2017 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghostgoblin22 (Post 12208538)
tiger won with dominance, conviction, swag, charisma, fear, confidence....it is something we will never see again in golf period. If tiger had today's equipment with his body from 1999-2005 he would've won 50 times in that period, his swing/short game was flawless

You have obviously fallen for the "our equipment will improve your game" pitch.:D

Calrob 02-15-2017 02:39 PM

As a golf course superintendent, I can assure you more rounds were played by hacks at public courses when Tiger was dominating. Since hes been gone numbers are down at most courses.

ghostgoblin22 02-15-2017 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SFAbowhunter (Post 12208541)
His golf game didn't go down hill because of his injuries...his game went to crap once he wife found out about all of the ladies he was sleeping with. :rolleyes:

nope, just because you worked at academy sports in the golf section doesn't mean you worked for Taylormade :)

all drivers today are similar priced;)b Taylormade is a superior driver compared to other brands, so they will be priced higher, again that's the stores fault for over stocking

Tx_Wader 02-15-2017 02:40 PM

Rack to answer your question without all of the rhetoric, no I don't care.

ghostgoblin22 02-15-2017 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironman (Post 12208565)
You have obviously fallen for the "our equipment will improve your game" pitch.:D

never have, been playing for 30 years, although it will improve sharpness if you equip yourself correctly

Pkripper 02-15-2017 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghostgoblin22 (Post 12208504)
bull****, Jordan bounced back very well after the masters, had 10 top 10 finishes out of 16 starts after the collapse, including a win...the field is just stacked with talent, and his ball striking was crap last year, oh yeah he also won last week...



Tiger's divorce had nothing to do with his golf failures, his injuries did...



man people who chime in on tiger clearly don't know anything about the actual facts :)



I said Jordan may never be the same after the masters and I'm a big fan of his. I'm also a big Tiger fan and always have been. He was much like Tyson to me. Loved boxing while he was in and could care less since he was out. If you don't think his divorce and disgrace didn't have a lot to do with his decline then you may want to reevaluate your golf knowledge.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ironman 02-15-2017 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghostgoblin22 (Post 12208586)
never have, been playing for 30 years, although it will improve sharpness if you equip yourself correctly

"If Tiger had today's equipment......" Contradict yourself much?

Chad C 02-15-2017 02:46 PM

Jordan is fun to watch, we can move on!

SFAbowhunter 02-15-2017 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghostgoblin22 (Post 12208573)
nope, just because you worked at academy sports in the golf section doesn't mean you worked for Taylormade :)

all drivers today are similar priced;)b Taylormade is a superior driver compared to other brands, so they will be priced higher, again that's the stores fault for over stocking

I'm glad you know it all. I have actually never worked for academy...but I have worked on 3 different sides of the golf industry. Retail (PGATSS), Green Grass (Private Club), and on the manufacturing side (TaylorMade).....I worked for TaylorMade. Yes, some stores do buy way too much of certain clubs, but that is not the deciding factor of price. There is a minimum price that every retailer has to sell it for. Most will sell it at the lowest price they can because they are competing with lots of other retailers and golf courses.

Example...Titleist has a minimum of what you can sell their Pro V1 and Pro V1x balls at...if you go below that price, they can and will take away your privilege to buy and sell their products. Ask me how I know!

ghostgoblin22 02-15-2017 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironman (Post 12208596)
"If Tiger had today's equipment......" Contradict yourself much?



He was driving the golf ball 350 with equipment 15 years ago, so yeah he would've won a lot more


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ironman 02-15-2017 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghostgoblin22 (Post 12208628)
He was driving the golf ball 350 with equipment 15 years ago, so yeah he would've won a lot more


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He was doing that because of his talent, not his equipment.

Livin'2hunt 02-15-2017 02:54 PM

I cannot stand bandwagon types. I bet many of y'all (that watch and play golf) enjoyed every single edge-of-your-seat moment Tiger gave us. You cheered in amazement and at that time, you understood the magnitude of what you were watching on live TV. Now, you're done with him? Why? What did he do to you? I hope my friends don't bail on me like the way some of y'all have sailed Tiger down the river. I don't know the guy and never will. He owes me nothing and vise versa but I know greatness when I see it and he personified it on the course for years. I enjoyed it all and that's what it's worth to me.

ghostgoblin22 02-15-2017 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pkripper (Post 12208595)
I said Jordan may never be the same after the masters and I'm a big fan of his. I'm also a big Tiger fan and always have been. He was much like Tyson to me. Loved boxing while he was in and could care less since he was out. If you don't think his divorce and disgrace didn't have a lot to do with his decline then you may want to reevaluate your golf knowledge.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...2c0f5879aa.jpg

Tell me again how his divorce effected anything in his golf game?

He's missed years of playing time because of all of these injuries, it might've effected him a little but take away 50% of these injuries and it's still more than most professional golfers will ever have



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ironman 02-15-2017 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Livin'2hunt (Post 12208638)
I cannot stand bandwagon types. I bet many of y'all (that watch and play golf) enjoyed every single edge-of-your-seat moment Tiger gave us. You cheered in amazement and at that time, you understood the magnitude of what you were watching on live TV. Now, you're done with him? Why? What did he do to you? I hope my friends don't bail on me like the way some of y'all have sailed Tiger down the river. I don't know the guy and never will. He owes me nothing and vise versa but I know greatness when I see it and he personified it on the course for years. I enjoyed it all and that's what it's worth to me.

He stole my girlfriend!

SFAbowhunter 02-15-2017 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghostgoblin22 (Post 12208628)
He was driving the golf ball 350 with equipment 15 years ago, so yeah he would've won a lot more


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He never came close to averaging 350 yards...

CaptainDave 02-15-2017 02:56 PM

No question, Tiger transcended the game of golf during his prime. Does golf need him back? Perhaps and it would no question give provide a nice up-tick in ratings for the short-term. The problem is, if Tiger came back and missed the cut or was never really in the mix in most tournaments, ratings would eventually fall. History points to golf and even tennis to an extent to have some their highest ratings during times of dominance by single or very few players.

With that said, it's simply convenient to blame all of the current golfing industry struggles on the lack of Tiger Woods. Sure, Nike will no longer be making clubs and balls. Well, fact of the matter is, Nike clubs never really did take off, even while Tiger was playing. They entered a market that was already saturated with many name brands that have been around for a very long time. Tiger Woods or not, Nike was never going to overtake Titleist, Ping, Taylormade, Calloway, etc in the club business.

As for lack of youth involvement. What about the lack of access? Heck, in my area in Houston, I'd say there have been more Public golf courses closed in the last decade than new courses opened. Most of these closures were due to selling out real estate for other residential uses. The game is expensive to play as well. I was afforded access to golf at an early age as we lived very close to a cheap, 9 hole municipal course.

Oh well, golf will survive one way or another. Like any other sport, there are ups and downs.

ghostgoblin22 02-15-2017 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironman (Post 12208637)
He was doing that because of his talent, not his equipment.



No ****


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ghostgoblin22 02-15-2017 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SFAbowhunter (Post 12208649)
He never came close to averaging 350 yards...



Go back and watch his rounds, he was driving the golf ball close to 350, that low stinger would roll


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SFAbowhunter 02-15-2017 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghostgoblin22 (Post 12208645)
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...2c0f5879aa.jpg

Tell me again how his divorce effected anything in his golf game?

He's missed years of playing time because of all of these injuries, it might've effected him a little but take away 50% of these injuries and it's still more than most professional golfers will ever have



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It affected his mental game....forget his long drives, his amazing chips, iron game, and think about the amount of ridiculous putts he used to make.

None of those things he injured should affect his putting abilities.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:25 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com