Sarrels BH question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sarrels BH question.

I texted Bob and he said 8 inches. Now as I understand it BH is measured from the string to the deepest part of the back of the riser. Correct? If that’s true, I cannot get enough twists in the string to get it there and put the string on the bow. This is a Wildcatt, 28 at 60. 54#.

Any help appreciated. I’m just getting into this after many years of shooting wheels. Oh and thanks to BriarFriar. Digging this bow.

I have a sarrels blue ridge as well and keep it just an 8th below 8 inches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You need a shorter string

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Stoof...how long is the bow string? String should be 56” ish for that 60” bow...I think.

Ive run into a similar situation before when using a stringer on different length bows...maybe shorten your stringer....take a piece of pvc pipe or 2x4 and twist up some slack...or (unpreferably) make a loop knot to eat up extra string...knot is a booger to undo when no longer desired.

Im glad the Ridgecatt found a good home. Robert Garcia is gonna make me a string for the selfbow and whittle some mass off the limbs.

Comment

It’s normally measured from the deepest part of the grip on the belly side. Yours is at approximately 6 3/16” now. Looks like you need a shorter string

Comment

Sarrels BH question.

I’m starting to get close. I’m also realizing I need to buy a good stringer. P cord ain’t cutting it. Got it to 7.5 inches.
            Last edited by Stoof; 04-13-2019, 02:49 PM.

Comment

That string is twisted tighter than ****'s hatband already. I'm of the opinion that a couple and certainly no more than three twists per inch is about the maximum. If the string is a Flemish twist you can shorten it in about ten minutes time. I would take some twists out of the body of the string, remeasure, and twist a new loop into it.

Comment

Originally posted by 60 Deluxe View Post
                That string is twisted tighter than ****'s hatband already. I'm of the opinion that a couple and certainly no more than three twists per inch is about the maximum. If the string is a Flemish twist you can shorten it in about ten minutes time. I would take some twists out of the body of the string, remeasure, and twist a new loop into it.

Noted. And thanks.

Comment

Sarrels BH question.

I’m going to see Bob soon. He’s just a few miles away. That’ll get it worked out. I picked up a stringer that works but I can’t twist this string any tighter.

And Briar is a top notch dude. Don’t sweat it buddy. Figuring it out is the part of the fun.

Comment

Stringer too long? Step on it with both feet and adjust the width of your stance to take up excess length. I usually use a stringer that is the correct length for a one foot hold, but there are a couple around here that must be two feet too long. I keep a stringer in just about every room that I frequent. Every one is a different length.

Comment

Originally posted by 60 Deluxe View Post
                      Stringer too long? Step on it with both feet and adjust the width of your stance to take up excess length. I usually use a stringer that is the correct length for a one foot hold, but there are a couple around here that must be two feet too long. I keep a stringer in just about every room that I frequent. Every one is a different length.
                      I bought a new stringer with the rubber gripper on it and it made all the difference. The p-cord I was using slid to far up the limb on the big knot side, if that makes sense.

Comment

measure your string....you seem to have a long string...

Comment

Im annoyed I traded you a bow with too long a string. I apologize.

For the gallery: I found a Ridgecatt and never strung it. Being its 60” and Im a 30” draw, I get horrible finger pinch when split fingered. Im still tinkering with my form on my 60” Lynx recurve and dont have the desire to fool with another 60” recurve. I wanted the Ridgecatt to go to a good home and we made a trade and Paul was a great candidate. He almost gave up trad archery...starting out on a 60# bow... he needed something more manageable.

Comment

One other thing...

Paul...you are a pretty awesome guy yourself. Absolutely a great Dad. Thanks for the kind words.

Comment

If you go see Bob he'll have a string that will work in his shop. If you want it sooner, you can order one from 3 Rivers and have it in a few days. You can call him and he can tell you what length string to order. If you need his number, feel free to PM me. Bob is a good guy he'll fix you up. Good looking bow BTW!!

Comment

Working...
                              X