TexasBowhunter.com Community  Discussion Forums

TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/index.php)
-   Around the Campfire (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Mr. Buddy heaters (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=786423)

DRT 10-26-2020 06:24 PM

Mr. Buddy heaters
 
I have one. Use it sparingly. Yesterday it worked fine. Today the pilot started blowing out when I fired it up on low. Now the pilotvwont even stay lit. Had to replace a part a couple years ago. I guess I'll have to replace something else. Dang thing.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

willie 10-26-2020 06:26 PM

Start it on high and give it a minute. also clean the tip of the thermacouple.

DRT 10-26-2020 06:54 PM

Now the pilot will work alone but when it turns on it like it is blowing out gas out the pilot hole too fast to stay lit.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

texasforever 10-26-2020 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRT (Post 15197470)
Now the pilot will work alone but when it turns on it like it is blowing out gas out the pilot hole too fast to stay lit.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk


So pilot will stay lit without depressing the knob? If it will take a piece of finishing line and feed it all through the gas system and or keep a jet lighter on the thermocouple and pilot to keep it going


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buckrider 10-26-2020 07:54 PM

Full tank? Mine if tank gets low will be finicky like that.


Sure miss those days of being able to hunt a lease for a nominal cost that didnít create greed and a feeling of despair if you didnít kill something!

WCB 10-26-2020 07:56 PM

Ask Smart about rebuilding/cleaning them.

Gijoee210 10-26-2020 07:59 PM

I was looking into getting one of those heaters
have you had trouble with them before?

kd350 10-26-2020 08:06 PM

I have the “hunting” version. My wife doesn’t like to get cold, so it’s on high 99% of the time; it doesn’t make noise. It does make that noise when the bottle gets low on the low setting.

texasforever 10-26-2020 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gijoee210 (Post 15197728)
I was looking into getting one of those heaters
have you had trouble with them before?


Bout the worst is a spider crawling into the tubes if you leave it in your stand. Maybe the occasional igniter after 7-8 years but nothing hard or expensive to fix


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike D 10-26-2020 08:10 PM

Thereís a new model out that I gonna look at. Puts out heat in 180į instead of just straight forward.


https://youtu.be/n4m-HDVaz64


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dale Moser 10-26-2020 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike D (Post 15197777)
Thereís a new model out that I gonna look at. Puts out heat in 180į instead of just straight forward.


https://youtu.be/n4m-HDVaz64


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro


Interested... not crazy about the depth, but I may go ahead and order that momma bear.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DRT 10-26-2020 09:21 PM

The pilot was finicky when I finally quit jacking with it. Full bottle. Smart helped me last time. POC product.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

RMW 10-26-2020 09:46 PM

I just chunkem in the dumpster and go to tsc and grap another. If they last me 4-5 years I’m happy.

RascalArms 10-26-2020 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WCB (Post 15197718)
Ask Smart about rebuilding/cleaning them.


This^^^
I sent him the thread

DRT 10-26-2020 09:53 PM

It's been stored in a sealed container. Bugs/spiders shouldn't be an issue.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Dale Moser 10-26-2020 09:54 PM

Clean the thermocouple, and hit the entire pilot assembly with the air compressor.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smart 10-26-2020 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale Moser (Post 15198204)
Clean the thermocouple, and hit the entire pilot assembly with the air compressor.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk




I would start out with this...^ Have you ran a pipe cleaner in the pilot hole and turned upside down yet? Dang spiders block those gas way and what you described happens a lot.



Remind me DRT....is this on a big tank or the standard small green tanks?

DRT 10-26-2020 10:46 PM

Standard small green.
It worked fine yesterday. Today pita

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

DRT 10-26-2020 10:47 PM

A blocked line I doubt. It's like the pilot is pushing so much gas it can't stay lit.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Smart 10-26-2020 11:27 PM

Mr. Buddy heaters
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DRT (Post 15198338)
A blocked line I doubt. It's like the pilot is pushing so much gas it can't stay lit.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk


How strong is the pilot light? Is it nice and long and touching the thermocouple?

Will it stay out without pushing the dial down?

Sometimes something obstructs the line and makes the gas shoot out like a water hose nozzle does to a warehouse. You got to start eliminating the cheap stuff before you start diving off into buying parts ...

DRT 10-26-2020 11:28 PM

I can run a fine wire down in it tomorrow. But it's been in a sealed up blind. No bugs or spiders.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Smart 10-26-2020 11:39 PM

Mr. Buddy heaters
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DRT (Post 15198396)
I can run a fine wire down in it tomorrow. But it's been in a sealed up blind. No bugs or spiders.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk


Well then you jump into thermocouple replacement/cleaning, valve assemblies, defective top switch, or the possibility of your tank contaminating the line. With a green tank itís much less infrequent than the big tanks but it happens. Itís a real simple mechanism so that pretty much covers it

Is you pilot light strong and does it stay on after you let go out the knob?

DRT 10-26-2020 11:40 PM

Thanx Jason. I'll have to bring it inside the house here and mess with it.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Smart 10-26-2020 11:45 PM

Strong pilot light

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...a492f9794f.jpg

Smart 10-26-2020 11:46 PM

Mr. Buddy heaters
 
Breakdown of these heaters in pics at end.


https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...y+heater+pilot

Dale Moser 10-26-2020 11:49 PM

Mr. Buddy heaters
 
I canít imagine anything sending too much pressure to the pilot, other than a faulty regulator. In the rare case a regulator fails, they generally donít let enough pressure to work....

It sounds like a lean condition to me...which can really only occur in those things if itís got air in the lines, and that shouldnít last over a few seconds.

Is the flame blue, or yellow?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WapitiHunter 10-27-2020 06:47 AM

I have had to blow out spiderweb inside of pilot tip.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DRT 10-27-2020 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smart (Post 15198405)
Well then you jump into thermocouple replacement/cleaning, valve assemblies, defective top switch, or the possibility of your tank contaminating the line. With a green tank itís much less infrequent than the big tanks but it happens. Itís a real simple mechanism so that pretty much covers it

Is you pilot light strong and does it stay on after you let go out the knob?

This is why they call him Smart. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...1a121ce22e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

TexasBob 10-27-2020 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike D (Post 15197777)
Thereís a new model out that I gonna look at. Puts out heat in 180į instead of just straight forward.


https://youtu.be/n4m-HDVaz64


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Pretty sure I need that in my life... i mean stand.

Smart 10-27-2020 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRT (Post 15200147)
This is why they call him Smart. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...1a121ce22e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk




Hahahhahaha what was the culprit?

DRT 10-27-2020 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smart (Post 15200170)
Hahahhahaha what was the culprit?

Well I ran a thin wire up it. Started up fine. Now doing the same thing.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Smart 10-27-2020 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRT (Post 15200193)
Well I ran a thin wire up it. Started up fine. Now doing the same thing.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk


Same thing as in not working? When you ran the wire, did you turn it upside down and shake it to see if anything would fall out??

Dale Moser 10-27-2020 04:31 PM

Try to get some compressed air to that hole right there!
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...906e0f0b82.jpg

Thatís essentially the ODS, and anything over that hole or inside the assembly in that area can cause it to behave erratically.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

billinkb 10-27-2020 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gijoee210 (Post 15197728)
I was looking into getting one of those heaters
have you had trouble with them before?

I've had one for about 6 years and no problems.

DRT 10-27-2020 04:39 PM

No but I left the pilot on to go get the turkey I just shot and put it with the pig I shot earlier. When I got back I flipped it to high, because I'm cold, and it fired right up.
Maybe it's possessed.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

DRT 10-27-2020 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale Moser (Post 15200248)
Try to get some compressed air to that hole right there!
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...906e0f0b82.jpg

Thatís essentially the ODS, and anything over that hole or inside the assembly in that area can cause it to behave erratically.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's what you had me replace two years ago.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Richard M. 10-27-2020 04:52 PM

Anyone fix an ignitor that won't spark? Mine pushes down and returns but doesn't make the clunk to produce a spark. It used to do it every now & then now doesn't at all just feels mushy.

DRT 10-27-2020 04:56 PM

And now it shut itself off again.
Gremlins

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Roy D Mercer 10-27-2020 05:10 PM

I would get another bottle of propane. That one you have may be dirty......

DRT 10-27-2020 05:14 PM

New canister, same results.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Smart 10-27-2020 05:32 PM

I'd have to have it in front of me....If its not a clog and if it shut off while rolling it could be a faulty thermocouple, a faulty tip switch or and faulty O2 sensor.



They all shut off the propane flow if the don't detect what they are there for.......ie. detect heat right (thermocouple), not sitting level (tip switch) or not enough oxygen in the air (02 sensor). I'm leaning towards the thermocouple because they are usually the most troublesome and most replaced. It is not uncommon for it to light and shut down because the heat screws with the connection. But that's just a guess not looking at it.



Is it sitting level?

cva34 10-27-2020 06:21 PM

I 'm sure there are problems ..Had a couple over years.Been dependable

Dale Moser 10-27-2020 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard M. (Post 15200297)
Anyone fix an ignitor that won't spark? Mine pushes down and returns but doesn't make the clunk to produce a spark. It used to do it every now & then now doesn't at all just feels mushy.


I e never looked at one on a heater, but others Iíve seen in the past can get that way because the plastic nut on the back of it was not tight.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DRT 10-27-2020 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smart (Post 15200389)
I'd have to have it in front of me....If its not a clog and if it shut off while rolling it could be a faulty thermocouple, a faulty tip switch or and faulty O2 sensor.



They all shut off the propane flow if the don't detect what they are there for.......ie. detect heat right (thermocouple), not sitting level (tip switch) or not enough oxygen in the air (02 sensor). I'm leaning towards the thermocouple because they are usually the most troublesome and most replaced. It is not uncommon for it to light and shut down because the heat screws with the connection. But that's just a guess not looking at it.



Is it sitting level?

Yes it is level. If I let it set and cool completely off I can start the pilot, turn it to high and it will run 3 or 4 minutes the shut off and not want to reignite.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

DRT 10-27-2020 06:29 PM

I can order one.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

DRT 10-27-2020 08:55 PM

Hey I left it running on high with a window open when I went to get my cart. 300 yard walk and drive back and it was still running fine. Maybe the oxygen sensor is really sensitive.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Smart 10-27-2020 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRT (Post 15200992)
Hey I left it running on high with a window open when I went to get my cart. 300 yard walk and drive back and it was still running fine. Maybe the oxygen sensor is really sensitive.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk




They can be....Folks talk about them going out in their ice shantys because of it. Did you have any windows open when you were running it earlier?

DRT 10-27-2020 09:02 PM

No. I never run it long as a Krivoman heats up quickly. I will mess with it again tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Double-O-Dave 10-27-2020 09:35 PM

I've had better luck with the Academy version of the Buddy heaters. I always try to have an Academy heater in the truck for back-up, and switch them out as need be. I do like everyone else has mentioned - fresh propane can, Q-tips/fine wire as well as compressed air to try and clear any possible path through the hoses.

Good luck,

Dave

JLadner 10-27-2020 09:39 PM

Sounds like it is an oxygen issue. I have one that will only run a couple minutes if I do not open the windows. The sensor is very sensitive


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:49 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com