TexasBowhunter.com Community  Discussion Forums

TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/index.php)
-   Around the Campfire (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Richland WMA Draw Hunt 2019 - Live Hunt (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=748319)

Kevin 11-03-2019 09:27 PM

Richland WMA Draw Hunt 2019 - Live Hunt
 
Hey guys! I just finished packing up and am looking forward to a week of hunting. I havenít hunted much the last 3 years due to work and a 2 year old boy so this is going to be extra special time in the woods even if I donít pull the trigger.

Richland Creek WMA has a special place in my heart since I shot my first deer here in 1996 on a TPWD youth draw hunt. Iíll post some details and pictures of that old hunt later this week. Itís what got me addicted to hunting and spending time with my Dad in the woods.

We have orientation Monday at 12:00 and Iíll be hunting that evening through Friday afternoon. Drawn for this hunt is my Dad (Keith), our hunting partner (Larry) and myself.

Iíll start posting video and pictures tomorrow. Iíve written a few articles over the last 5 years but itís been a while since I busted out the video camera. Wish me luck - self-video ainít easy!

If any other TBHíers are at this hunt come say hi at orientation.

Low Fence 11-03-2019 09:31 PM

Good luck to y’all. I loved that place. Hunted it for years before it became a draw only. Killed my first hog there around 2000-2001ish

Kevin 11-03-2019 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Fence (Post 14483283)
Good luck to yíall. I loved that place. Hunted it for years before it became a draw only. Killed my first hog there around 2000-2001ish

Thanks much! Certainly looks like it can hold lots of hogs!

BTLowry 11-03-2019 09:52 PM

I will have my TBH hat on

Will look for you


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brymor31 11-04-2019 07:12 AM

Good luck! Some very nice bucks there.

Chad C 11-04-2019 07:22 AM

Good luck Kevin!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

stxbowhunter 11-04-2019 07:26 AM

Good luck!

Kevin 11-04-2019 10:26 AM

Thanks all! Passing through Corsicana now!

Kevin 11-04-2019 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BTLowry (Post 14483314)
I will have my TBH hat on

Will look for you


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great! See you there!

coop2564 11-04-2019 10:59 AM

wish I was inline right now.

stickemhard3 11-04-2019 11:16 AM

Good luck. I've hunted close to this place for years and have watched deer from 488 many times. Hope you kill a good one.

JJordan 11-04-2019 01:00 PM

It’s a hard place to hunt. Been a few years since I have been but will say there are some
Monsters running around down there.

Kevin 11-04-2019 04:35 PM

Got drawn for compartment 3 and just got settled after scouting and setting up stands. Weíve seen 4
Does so far while scouting.

In a climber hunting some good looking land right now.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...3e5a15798c.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...900540d25a.jpg

Kevin 11-04-2019 05:06 PM

Dad is sitting on a pipeline and has seen 3 bucks and 4-5 does. One legal spike but looking to shoot a mature deer. He said he passed an 8 that is county legal but the WMA wants 4.5+ and 15Ē spread.

HotRod Hunter 11-04-2019 05:49 PM

Awesome Good Luck, Following along. I love that place . Keep us updated

Kevin 11-04-2019 07:48 PM

Tonight I saw 3 does at last light. Dad ended up seeing 3 bucks (young) and 7 does. Larry didn’t see squat :)

One smaller 8 shot tonight.

Back at it tomorrow!

Gom 11-04-2019 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stickemhard3 (Post 14484199)
Good luck. I've hunted close to this place for years and have watched deer from 488 many times. Hope you kill a good one.

I hated to see Tarrant County Water District quit mowing the area off 488. We used to watch the deer too. It was nothing to see a couple hundred deer and some truly big racked bucks walking the tree line.

Kevin 11-05-2019 06:43 AM

Sitting a pipeline today just south of Richland creek. Heard some doe bleats at daybreak but nothing seen so far. The mosquitos are relentless. It’s 65 but I have to wear my jacket to keep them at bay.

Kevin 11-05-2019 06:46 AM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...9fe3023e5a.jpg

Raypo 11-05-2019 06:47 AM

I woke up to snow flurries, definitely no mosquitos. Good luck

EastTexasMan 11-05-2019 07:26 AM

How far are you from the forbidden zone near the dam? I'd be trying to hunt as close to that as possible, some big boys roam those woods.

Kevin 11-05-2019 08:05 AM

Middle of snacking and a 4 pt wondered through. My shooting setup is good, so that was a decent test.

Dad has young bucks chasing a doe.

Larry saw two small bucks this morning.

Kevin 11-05-2019 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EastTexasMan (Post 14486409)
How far are you from the forbidden zone near the dam? I'd be trying to hunt as close to that as possible, some big boys roam those woods.

I can see the sign with my eyes. :)

EastTexasMan 11-05-2019 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin (Post 14486540)
I can see the sign with my eyes. :)

Nice, ever since they cut the budgets and stopped shredding that big field, the deer quit coming out as much, or maybe I just can't see them lol.

Kevin 11-05-2019 08:10 AM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...6dbc29ee07.jpg

Best I can do with my cell :)

Kevin 11-05-2019 09:10 AM

Buck just chased a doe at full speed across the pipeline. Couldnít tell how good he was but had some mass.

Kevin 11-05-2019 11:05 AM

Still getting some movement. Had a pig come out into the pipeline at 250yrds. Got excited because I just saw a big body. Passed on the pig.

Kevin 11-05-2019 11:28 AM

Going to relocate to a slough around 12:00 and see if there is more movement. Will be in a climber most likely. Need to find a doe in heat.

Sparkles 11-05-2019 11:32 AM

Good luck!
My kid has been drawn twice for Richland Creek.
Weíve seen some great deer there


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kurdawg 11-05-2019 11:32 AM

Good luck

TeamAmerica 11-05-2019 11:51 AM

Good luck! I'd rather be where you are than in the office this week for sure!

stickemhard3 11-05-2019 11:55 AM

I am assuming you are rifle hunting?

tdwinklr 11-05-2019 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin (Post 14486332)

I have sat in similar spots down there, if not the same. Saw many, many deer in there.

Low Fence 11-05-2019 02:38 PM

Question? Can you check in and access from off the WMA? Or are you required to enter, park and walk from set locations?

Kevin 11-05-2019 02:44 PM

Ok back at it. Moved some stands around. Hunting a dried up slough with the pipeline on the west (left) boundary.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...6edb2998de.jpg

Wind changes 180 degrees since this morning but still swirly. It feels like a September dove hunt.

Kevin 11-05-2019 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Fence (Post 14487579)
Question? Can you check in and access from off the WMA? Or are you required to enter, park and walk from set locations?



Unsure! Iíll ask tonight when I hit the check station.

Kevin 11-05-2019 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stickemhard3 (Post 14487127)
I am assuming you are rifle hunting?



Correct. You can bow hunt too but that draw I think is a bit less competitive than the rifle one.

BuckSmasher 11-05-2019 03:25 PM

Following, hope you get something!

Kevin 11-05-2019 04:29 PM

Fork horn just chased off a doe and fawn. Little dude was strutting. LOL

Kevin 11-05-2019 07:34 PM

Finished the evening passing up a 3.5 Y/o 10 that just wasnít what I was looking for. Larry saw a BIG buck chasing a doe and I am going to regroup tomorrow PM.

I have video but no way to get it to my phone.

BTLowry 11-05-2019 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Fence (Post 14487579)
Question? Can you check in and access from off the WMA? Or are you required to enter, park and walk from set locations?



Negative

We got put in 13, have to go around the road 10mi to get in a back gate

We have seen some deer but not the quality the staff is looking to take

It is thick in this unit, only places you can see more than 20yds is on the roads they mowed out
Blood weeds and thick elm, ash and bitter pecan saplings dominate this unit [emoji1]

Found a couple of overcups dropping and some kind of water oak Iím guessing with small acorns

It is hot for sure

Mosquitoes came out in full force when the sun went down

Kevin I saw you at check in/orientation but the way they did it didnít leave much time to socialize and when they assigned compartments and it was already 1 everyone scattered to get going
Maybe we will run into each other before this thing is over [emoji1]


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elliscountyhog 11-06-2019 09:49 AM

Any movement this morning?

BuckSmasher 11-06-2019 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin (Post 14483276)
Hey guys! I just finished packing up and am looking forward to a week of hunting. I havenít hunted much the last 3 years due to work and a 2 year old boy so this is going to be extra special time in the woods even if I donít pull the trigger.

Richland Creek WMA has a special place in my heart since I shot my first deer here in 1996 on a TPWD youth draw hunt. Iíll post some details and pictures of that old hunt later this week. Itís what got me addicted to hunting and spending time with my Dad in the woods.

We have orientation Monday at 12:00 and Iíll be hunting that evening through Friday afternoon. Drawn for this hunt is my Dad (Keith), our hunting partner (Larry) and myself.

Iíll start posting video and pictures tomorrow. Iíve written a few articles over the last 5 years but itís been a while since I busted out the video camera. Wish me luck - self-video ainít easy!

If any other TBHíers are at this hunt come say hi at orientation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BTLowry (Post 14488321)
Negative

We got put in 13, have to go around the road 10mi to get in a back gate

We have seen some deer but not the quality the staff is looking to take

It is thick in this unit, only places you can see more than 20yds is on the roads they mowed out
Blood weeds and thick elm, ash and bitter pecan saplings dominate this unit [emoji1]

Found a couple of overcups dropping and some kind of water oak Iím guessing with small acorns

It is hot for sure

Mosquitoes came out in full force when the sun went down

Kevin I saw you at check in/orientation but the way they did it didnít leave much time to socialize and when they assigned compartments and it was already 1 everyone scattered to get going
Maybe we will run into each other before this thing is over [emoji1]


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Were there any standby positions given for this hunt?

coop2564 11-06-2019 10:22 AM

How many been killed so far?

Low Fence 11-06-2019 12:23 PM

If I read this mass confusion TPWD info correctly it said baiting was legal there? Surely not?

Kevin 11-06-2019 01:13 PM

Brian, hopefully we can meet up soon. Yah the check in was fast and furious lol

Good luck on your hunt!


Not much around this morning from what I heard. I didnít get a chance to hunt - pregnant wife needed some help at home. Iíll be back in stand at 2:30!

Last night one in my group had a BIG deer chase a doe past but couldnít get him to stop.

Yes baiting is legal.

chrisgunguy 11-06-2019 03:33 PM

Good luck this afternoon. How long is the hunt for?

Kevin 11-06-2019 04:06 PM

Hunt ends Friday AM!

When I got here Dad wanted to move around to get ready for the rain tomorrow. This place gets sticky when it rains.

Driving into the compartment I drove up on a shooter buck. Looked like a tall 10. Got a ladder stand moved over there.

While getting Dads pop up situated we had 2 pigs just feeding in the road. Zero concern about us. LOL. They get a pass until tomorrow evening.

Iím sitting back down in the river bottom getting carried away by mosquitoes and sweating quite heavily. Put out some estrous scent tonight, maybe that will get a big boy interested.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...18de06e75e.jpg

woodsman 11-06-2019 04:51 PM

That’s some good looking country. You never know what might step out. Hope you get an opportunity to throw some lead. Thanks for taking us along.

Snowflake Killa 11-06-2019 04:57 PM

I'm been following good luck

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:08 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com