Cell Phone In South Africa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cell Phone In South Africa

We head over for our first time in August. I already have the WhatsApp that I can use back at camp with the wifi, but I am wondering if I can get an International plan that will work over there? My provider is ATT. What have you guys used. My wife will be six months pregnant when I am over, and I would really like for her to be able to get ahold of me while I am hunting. Is this possible?

We bought some minutes from ATT before we left but most of the time we didn't have service.

Comment

Yes you can get one with AT&T but it's not very good, I had to change to T-Mobil as they have the best international plans. With that said I wouldn't change for one trip, I was traveling a lot internationally then.

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
        We bought some minutes from ATT before we left but most of the time we didn't have service.
        This was my concern. I am trying to see if there are any good prepaid avenues.

Comment

I have AT&T and add the international day pass to my line for $10 a day. I never had any issues with the services as most places (Limpopo and Johannesburg) we was at had cell signal.

Comment

Justin, just give your wife the contact numbers for Harry and his family and tell her if she needs to get in touch with you to call one of them. Cell service is spotty.

Comment

We took a sat phone. Local cell providers didn’t work where ATT didn’t work. Reminded me of cell service in the hill country. Worked on major roads but once off the beaten path - nothing. We hunted several places including the Timbavati that had no hint of cell service.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon-Paul View Post
                I have AT&T and add the international day pass to my line for $10 a day. I never had any issues with the services as most places (Limpopo and Johannesburg) we was at had cell signal.
                Does this allow calls and texts?

Comment

What province are you hunting?
                  Originally posted by Jon-Paul View Post
                  This!!!
                  Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                  Justin, just give your wife the contact numbers for Harry and his family and tell her if she needs to get in touch with you to call one of them. Cell service is spotty.
                  Yep, the Nel Family will track you down if ANY issues arise while you are out hunting. I call it the 80/20 rule with international trips......it has gotten much better over the last few years in RSA.

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Spies View Post
                    Yes...This plan allows you to use your same plan that you have in the US.

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Spies View Post
                      yep, wife and daughter are in Europe now on that plan. Dial 611 on your phone...……..simple process.

Comment

Call AT&T and see what they have. I've been 3 times and going again in July. Seems like every time I go over there is a different plan option from AT&T for the trip. South Africa tends to be one of the countries with specialized plans. I'm actually thinking of getting a local SIM card with a prepaid amount on it for this next trip but haven't done much research yet. My Samsung phone allows for two different SIMs so I plan to fully explore that this trip. My PH in the Limpopo region seems to always have good service. That could be another option. I have a good relationship with my PH so I would just give his number to my wife. He's always with me so it would be just like me having the phone.

Comment

Originally posted by rladner View Post
                          Call AT&T and see what they have. I've been 3 times and going again in July. Seems like every time I go over there is a different plan option from AT&T for the trip. South Africa tends to be one of the countries with specialized plans. I'm actually thinking of getting a local SIM card with a prepaid amount on it for this next trip but haven't done much research yet. My Samsung phone allows for two different SIMs so I plan to fully explore that this trip. My PH in the Limpopo region seems to always have good service. That could be another option. I have a good relationship with my PH so I would just give his number to my wife. He's always with me so it would be just like me having the phone.
                          Do you know what provider he uses?

Comment

I thought I had it figured out 1 time, went throught the O FB messager thing for texting since they had WIFI. But I didn't work out so well for pics, every pic I sent cost me, I will not try to out fox them again.

Comment

I can ask him. Think it is Vodafone

Comment

Working...
                              X