TexasBowhunter.com Community  Discussion Forums

TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/index.php)
-   Around the Campfire (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Cheapest method to keep two acres cut (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=734413)

12RingKing 06-17-2019 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubi513 (Post 14202005)
If I couldnít charge $350.00 for a job that took all day using my equipment in your area, I would move.

Iím right there with you!

axisbuck24 06-17-2019 04:49 PM

Reach out to a neighbor or drive around and see if anyone in your area mows. I found a retired individual who charged me $25 per acre. That was a steal!!

MQ32Shooter 06-17-2019 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razrbk89 (Post 14201722)
I can usually get 40-60 acres a day. All Iím seeing is dollar signs. Lots of money down there, though. People willing to pay those high prices.

You must be running some big equipment. Iíve got 10 acres and a 7í shredder. If itís 3í tall, can take me 7 hours.

SmTx 06-17-2019 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ouch (Post 14202309)
This is intriguing. You have a DeLorean?

Obviously you're not a golfer

TP3 06-17-2019 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmTx (Post 14202634)
Obviously you're not a golfer

Haha

texansfan 06-17-2019 09:18 PM

While we're on the topic of looking for paid help...
I need some sweetgum cleared and some smaller stumps pulled up so my other elderly neighbor told me he knew a young hardworking guy from his church that runs a dozer, did plenty of work for him and would be really cheap for me.

Got the guys number
Played phone tag for a month
Literally it was two weeks before I gave up then two weeks after that I ran across his number again and threw a hail Mary text
Touchdown!
Problem is he talked himself out of the job
Not that I didn't choose him but he said he's too busy.
Too busy to make money
Can you believe that????

So I thought of renting a deere 30g 1.5 ton excavator and doing it myself
Those are like $250 per day I hear

MattPopp 06-17-2019 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bloodstick (Post 14202194)
I had mentioned that I was running a 6 ft mower and also that the pasture was so overgrown, it was overheating my equipment. SO i had to go very slow in low gear running higher rpm's and make a second pass. When standing out in the pasture, it was nearly to my hip and extremely thick.

Fair enough

MattPopp 06-17-2019 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubi513 (Post 14202205)
I will by you a steak dinner if you come over to my place and mow 10 acres in an hour with a 6' shredder.
I have 13 acres of pasture on my place. It takes me around 5 hours to mow it with a 6' shredder and a 68 h.p. tractor.

I thought he was implying he had decent sized equipment like a 15ft-20ft batwing and enough HP to push it. Did not realize it is just a little 6ft shredder.

Is your 68hp, Mahindra HP or real tractor HP? Because if that is real tractor HP rated at the PTO that is enough to run a 15ft batwing, So I would upgrade if I was you!! Assuming it makes since for you to do it. But less time dealing with your cutting and now you become more desirable to be hired out to cut others. As your time will be productive and efficient.


If you are shredding grass for $$$$ time is money!

Once upon a time we use to farm and we use to have the equipment. Not anymore.

RattlesnakeDan 06-18-2019 04:39 AM

I run a 25hp compact and a 5' shredder, it takes me all day to do 10 acres but my jobs are primarily 1 to 5 acres. Usually around homesteads with trees, buildings etc... these are the jobs the big guys can't take on but you can't do them with a zero turn, it would destroy a lawn mower in a day. Many are 6-8' high, there always seems to be wire. steel posts, chunks of concrete, big rocks, logs, stumps, deep ruts etc on every job. Lots of trees can double your time, you need to stop and blow out your radiator and grill a couple times a day also. You need a new air filter often as well. My shredder is 60 days old and is so banged up and dented from hitting stuff that is hidden in the grass it looks like a 10 year old piece of equipment. It seems like easy money and in a way it is(compared to swinging a sickle) but it requires more than meets the eye.

60 Deluxe 06-18-2019 05:31 AM

Sell it. Two acres is pretty useless for anything and really useless for someone that lives two hundred miles away.

centex_aggie 06-18-2019 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 60 Deluxe (Post 14203224)
Sell it. Two acres is pretty useless for anything and really useless for someone that lives two hundred miles away.



OP said this is two out of a contiguous 80.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Razrbk89 06-18-2019 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MQ32Shooter (Post 14202625)
You must be running some big equipment. Iíve got 10 acres and a 7í shredder. If itís 3í tall, can take me 7 hours.

I have a 5093 that I use, so nothing big. I do mow with a 15í though, anything smaller would take me forever to do what I have to do.

I do not enjoy tractor work, so I try to get stuff done as expediently as possible.

texansfan 06-18-2019 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RattlesnakeDan (Post 14203203)
I run a 25hp compact and a 5' shredder, it takes me all day to do 10 acres but my jobs are primarily 1 to 5 acres. Usually around homesteads with trees, buildings etc... these are the jobs the big guys can't take on but you can't do them with a zero turn, it would destroy a lawn mower in a day. Many are 6-8' high, there always seems to be wire. steel posts, chunks of concrete, big rocks, logs, stumps, deep ruts etc on every job. Lots of trees can double your time, you need to stop and blow out your radiator and grill a couple times a day also. You need a new air filter often as well. My shredder is 60 days old and is so banged up and dented from hitting stuff that is hidden in the grass it looks like a 10 year old piece of equipment. It seems like easy money and in a way it is(compared to swinging a sickle) but it requires more than meets the eye.

This is exactly what I have but no rocks
Just stumps and about a hundred trees you have to drive around

Shinesintx 06-18-2019 05:46 PM

I enjoyed the heck out of this thread. ‘‘Twas extremely amusing


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com