Nice or naive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice or naive?

I'm such a sucker to someone who asks for help.

Two weeks ago I was leaving the pharmacy and there was a man around 60-70 with a flat tire in the parking lot who look exacerbated with a flat tire on his older Caddy. It was super hot that afternoon and I asked if he needed help. Yes, he did not have a tire iron. He said since he was not from the area and he was scared to ask for help due to what he's seen in the news about conflicts between people of different skin colors. I loaned him my tire iron from my Chevy Impala. Then his hydraulic jack was leaking so I loaned him my scissor jack. I held an umbrella over him while he changed the tire. As he lowered the jack onto his spare we both realized the spare had a hole in it. Someone loaned him a cheesy air compressor but it would not hold air. So, I told the old feller to put his tire in my car, I drove him to Firestone, bought a new tire for him, and drove him back to his car. (Special thank you to my dear friend at Firestone for giving me a tire at cost.) By now I've realized this chance encounter was not for me to help him, but for him to help me. He was a retired bishop and former teacher at a small seminary school in Houston. He preached the Word the whole time I was with him. He put his tire back on his car and went home to Houston from College Station. I'll likely not forget Mr. Charles Turner any time soon.

This morning I stopped to get gas at a store just off Hwy 6 in Bryan. While I'm filling up, a large man at the next pump island started talking to me asking if I knew how to shoot. Shocked, I looked at him like, "why do you ask?" but before I could say anything, he said, "you look like you can handle yourself. Are you a hunter?" His demeanor was very pleasant and cordial and he was careful to stay several yards from me. I did not answer his question and in the silence he asked if I was from the area. I said I worked here. He asked if I was in security. I just smiled and sensing this was not going to be just a causal conversation I asked if he needed something. Then he gave me some story about how his truck was out of gas and someone let him borrow the Ford Explorer SUV that he was driving and he needed some cash to put gas in his truck to get home to Somerville. I gave him $10 and he got in the Explorer and drove off.

I shook my head and told myself I was a sucker. But, then I thought if $10 was all it took to get him to leave, maybe that was a good thing. Then I thought about his story and the more I thought about it the more unsettled I've become. Something about his departing made me feel lucky and completely naive. I guess I always see the good in people. I looked up and thanked Jesus for protecting me always.

I never give to those needing gas. I will help if I think they really need it like the flat tire & older people. I have bought people a meal that were truly hungry & last week went further than I ever have. I was in the store getting Ice & an old guy was counting out pennies & nickels to buy a beer. He asked me if I had a nickel he could have. I laughed & said here & handed him a dollar & said its hot out there, get you a beer. LOL!
    You are a good person and try to see good in all!

Comment

Seems to me you listened to that little voice ( the Holy Spirit ) both times and it was correct both times. Don't give up on humanity, but don't trust it completely either. Good work.

Comment

Nice to the first guy. Naive to the second guy.

I’ve had people get really mad when they ask for money for gas and I tell them no. On two occasions, we were a millisecond away from aggressive negotiations. So maybe you’re right, $10 got rid of him.

Comment

Originally posted by kevin nicholls View Post
          Seems to me you listened to that little voice ( the Holy Spirit ) both times and it was correct both times. Don't give up on humanity, but don't trust it completely either. Good work.
          That sums things up quite nicely you never know when your being used by Holy Spirit

Comment

For some reason, at least to me, I don't think I've ever felt as vulnerable as when standing at a gas pump waiting on my vehicle to fill up. Especially if its not one of my regular stations. I find myself constantly scanning the pumps and parking areas.

Comment

Nothing wrong with being nice even to a con man if you can afford it. I've given gas money knowing it was going towards something else

Comment

Neither time did giving hurt you so let God sort out the rest of it. I give when God calls me to do so and let Him do the work with it. I believe God can still work with giving to someone who is "scamming" you. I always make sure they know my giving is from Him, not from me. Having said that, I don't give to everyone who asks. I let the spirit guide me.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

First one was an unbelievable gesture, second one was sketchy just from the start. I am always carrying and never feel comfortable when someone approaches me at the pump. I know it is not right, but I always judge them and feel like I "know" if I am being played when they ask for money. Same thing with a homeless person, I always offer to buy them food instead of giving them cash...

Comment

I am probably crazy, but a have a bad habit of stopping and asking people if they need a ride in to town when traveling from one ranch to another, usually they’re just down on their luck folks and I give them a ride as far as I am going or as far as they need, buy them a soda or something when I stop for fuel, if they smoke I will usually give them a few cigarettes, I know if I was walking down a cruddy road or in a gimpy boat I would definitely hope someone would stop to ask me ,
                    Karma and learning to be humble

But I am uncomfortable with the gasoline people
                    Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 06-30-2021, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Nice first, and naive second.

I work in the Permian as a salesman, and live in Lubbock while driving a Tundra. I spend far more time at gas stations than I’d like . Usually once a day, sometimes twice a day. I encounter more than my share of people “needing” gas money. Can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen those same people go jump in a new Navigator or Escalade after I told them no. Now days I tell everyone no. If they say they’re hungry or thirsty I’ll offer to buy them food or a drink, but I’ll never hand anyone cash. The only time I’ve had one get aggressive with me was in Austin, and he quit pretty quickly when he noticed where my hand was.

Comment

All you can do is what’s right, let God judge their actions afterwards.

Comment

Sounds to me your internal radar is firing on all cylinders...don't overthink it & disregard any critics.

Comment

Luke 6:27-36

Comment

Naive. I've seen the same guy on several days outside of Home Depot drive up and put his hood up so he could try to get people to give him money to "get his truck fixed". I not only don't bite on that stuff, I'm rude about it.

Comment

Working...
                              X