TexasBowhunter.com Community  Discussion Forums

TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/index.php)
-   Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Trapping Season Thread 2020-2021 (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=789585)

wytex 01-22-2021 09:33 AM

Some times we will spring the traps and leave them next to where we had them set, just set the trap in a bush or something, most of ours are on chains or drags.

Going up this morning to check and then we're pulling all traps tomorrow morning and meeting a fur buyer Saturday evening.
One guy offered us $400 for our cats and coyotes, passed on that deal.

brandon 01-22-2021 12:44 PM

[QUOTE=BTLowry;15421551]I don't know any way to leave a trap set and avoid a catch, maybe someone does and will chime in. Otherwise I would have a quick connect on the chain if using an anchor so you could pull trap and just reset in same spot when you return

I wasn't planning on leaving them set but just leaving them still anchored in the ground and tripped. But I like your idea of using a quick connect so we can leave the anchor but take the trap. Appreciate the info!

Trapper76 01-22-2021 06:26 PM

I would suspect gunshot or got it in a trap
Most critters are much tougher than us humans ;)[/QUOTE]

I bet your right about getting shot off. I used to kill a coyote just about every year that was missing a leg, Iíd show people and theyíd say it was from chewing out of a trap. Iíve been coyote trapping 30+ years and never had one chew out. Funny thing is they always look healthy, even though they were short one running gear.

BTLowry 01-22-2021 08:05 PM

I found one dead last year that was missing part of a back leg. Then later found pics of it on trail cam.
99% sure it was one I took a shot at up behind the house trying to get a chicken

Philip-TX 01-22-2021 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trapper76 (Post 15423349)
I would suspect gunshot or got it in a trap
Most critters are much tougher than us humans ;)

Quote:

I bet your right about getting shot off. I used to kill a coyote just about every year that was missing a leg, I’d show people and they’d say it was from chewing out of a trap. I’ve been coyote trapping 30+ years and never had one chew out. Funny thing is they always look healthy, even though they were short one running gear.
...or snare maybe

Smart 01-23-2021 07:54 AM

In just to follow the trappings......cool thread fellas.

wytex 01-23-2021 03:08 PM

7 Attachment(s)
Pulled put traps this morning. Might put out a few along the road over Feb. for cats but depends on snow.
Found several inches of snow when we went up to check.
Looks like a sly dog gave us the slip. He checked the scent post set and the cat set up the creek, missed both traps. After he had walked right up the 2 track we take to set and check.

On positive, all the sets triggered when we pulled them, none were frozen. Thank the wax dirt for that.
Crossed some very fresh mt lion tracks coming out of the meadow so we check the quota and maybe go call and see if we can get on it. Looks like an immature male or female from the size.

Need the snow badly but timing was not great for us.

wytex 01-24-2021 09:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well our fluffy hides are gone now, fur buyer liked them all.
We made good money even though the market on cats in low right now.
Here's the price breakdown on our sale.
The buyer really liked our put up too.
Bobcats had nice spots and belly color and he really was impressed with the big tom.

Buyer did say the big tom would be worth hundreds more on any other year.

Guessing we may trap a bit in Feb. just to get another bobcat or so and a coyote or 2 to tan and sell if snow allows us.
Now we can also afford some more good coyote traps.

Trapper76 01-24-2021 05:35 PM

Wytex congratulations on the fur check, it’s always nice to cash in something you enjoy!

BTLowry 01-25-2021 06:41 AM

Congrats wytex

I would guess 50 Texas coyotes might get close to that :D

oneeye 01-25-2021 06:47 AM

Bummer that the market is that bad for western cats. It makes ours in MN nearly worthless!

HOUSTON52 01-25-2021 08:13 AM

maybe is missed something, but the price breakdown comes to $815, not $715?

wytex 01-25-2021 08:29 AM

You're right Houston, spouse didn't check his math but the buyer is making it right.
Guy had a rough drive across I-80 in a snow storm so he was pretty tired by the time he pulled in that evening. Contacted him and another check is on the way.
That extra $100 will buy us some more traps for next year.

He did say the big tom was the most he had paid this year for a cat, and he really likes our put up, that got us a few extra dollars for each hide.

Spouse said he pulled in with a cattle trailer full of green coyotes, frozen tails streaming out the side windows. Bet that looked interesting going down the highway.

Mohawkman 02-02-2021 08:43 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I started putting my cell cams on my traps so donít have to go check them everyday. I go to work in the dark and get home in the dark. Got some cool pics today . Caught a yote, and another yote came and checked him. Then a pig pig came and beat him up pretty bad. I am changing my cameras to video.

BTLowry 02-03-2021 07:03 AM

Pretty cool

That is why a lot of the professionals put out additional traps at a location, catch the ones that come around investigating their trapped kin :D

Trapper76 02-03-2021 07:33 AM

Mohawkman that’s a interesting sequence of photos! When we used to trap for the fur market many of the coyotes had puncture marks from being attacked while in a trap, talk about getting kicked while your down!! Thanks for sharing.

Deafishunter 02-06-2021 02:09 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Got my first but 2 bobcats. Been after these things for years, finally got it done today. Was very surprised to catch 2 today.

wytex 02-06-2021 04:05 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Congrats on the 1st cats ! Nice cats to boot !

We sprung our sets this morning and will re set next weekend for the long weekend of checking. That will be our last weekend trapping probably.
Caught a coyote out in the open driving up to check. Spouse made a great shot in about 40 mph winds and snow. She was just coming in heat so maybe some wandering males will be out next weekend.
Moved her for pics and the snow blew and started drifting on her up pretty fast.
She's a pretty silver coyote, we'll see what she brings from the buyer or we'll get her tanned.

hogmess 02-06-2021 04:45 PM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...b83291b847.jpg

Been swamped all winter but finally set a few set this last week. I will start hitting the cats hard in the next week or so when my daughters stock show stuff slows down. Pigs are thick at our place right know. I have caught two in the last couple days. So dry these guys are always looking for something to eat. We haven’t had any blackbuck fawns in a while. Couple bobcats caught on camera close to feeders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BTLowry 02-06-2021 08:38 PM

Congrats on the cats deafishunter

Wytex good job

hogmess, that hog is definitely in a mess :D

Peyton 02-06-2021 09:00 PM

I just got my first traps. I got a package from Minnesota Trap with Bridger #2 dogless offsets. I wanted MB 550ís but they are hard to find now. Iíve been reading on Trapperman and watching YouTube videos. Iím ready to graduate from snares to real traps!

I canít wait to set some dirt hole and flat traps!! Iíve got an endless supply of bones, deer/javelina/pig parts for lures and bait.

What do yíall think a mountain lion would do to a #2 with a swiveled earth anchor?

Mohawkman 02-06-2021 09:02 PM

I only have 2 Dogs so far. Coons and pigs are wearing me out. I don’t mind the coons so much because I need to thin them out, but the pigs are big enough to pull free.

Peyton 02-06-2021 09:10 PM

Found Thursday on boundary, snared every hole under high fence.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...40d10dbc43.jpg

Next morning on closest hole to the kill..

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...663a922d73.jpg

Peyton 02-06-2021 09:14 PM

Wednesday Dukes

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...8fbcf4df18.jpg

Peyton 02-06-2021 09:16 PM

Thursday snare....

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...7f422f9ab3.jpg

wytex 02-07-2021 10:07 AM

Peyton, Montgomery Fur in Utah had some MB 550s last week, we picked up 6 of the 4 coil offset traps.
https://montgomeryfur.com/index.php?...minnesota-coil

You have to open the drop down to see the various style of 550s they have.
Good folks to deal with and ship pretty fast for us up here.
I buy coyote and bobcat urine from them too.

Update too, got the $100 check from the buyer to make up for his math error. We'll offer him the coyote next Saturday and see what he says.

Trapper76 02-07-2021 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peyton (Post 15455499)
I just got my first traps. I got a package from Minnesota Trap with Bridger #2 dogless offsets. I wanted MB 550ís but they are hard to find now. Iíve been reading on Trapperman and watching YouTube videos. Iím ready to graduate from snares to real traps!

I canít wait to set some dirt hole and flat traps!! Iíve got an endless supply of bones, deer/javelina/pig parts for lures and bait.

What do yíall think a mountain lion would do to a #2 with a swiveled earth anchor?

Peyton Iíve never trapped mountain lions, but #2s arenít enough trap. An adult mountain lion would have to step dead center on the trap, and then I doubt it would hold. Catching a lion in a #2 could and possibly has been done, but the odds are slim. Very nice bobcat! Good luck with your new traps and keep those pictures coming.

wytex 02-07-2021 12:55 PM

I agree with Trapper76, I do know a # 3 with 4 coil springs will hold one, on a natural drag.
We 4 coil about all our traps now if we don't buy them that way. Makes them nice and snappy and good holds.

Deafishunter 02-10-2021 01:43 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I knew I was missing a bobcat every night for the last 3 days. Due to the fur left behind. The trap wasnít holding them. Or the cats were stepping right on the edge of the traps.
So after 3 straight misses, I decided to change to a #3 trap from a #1 3/4 last night. And bam! Got him!

wytex 02-10-2021 01:48 PM

Nice cat, spots for miles on that one !

Deafishunter 02-10-2021 01:57 PM

Yes heís definitely got the spots on him.
Thereís another cat out there that has spots like a cheetah all over its body, thatís my target cat for this year.

Big Mike M 02-10-2021 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peyton (Post 15455499)

I bought (6) Bridger #2 dogless offsets a couple years ago. They work great on coyote and bobcats in S. Texas. Doubt it will hold a lion though. I normally just set my out on weekend trips. Set on Friday and pull on Sunday. I've been pretty successful setting them around water troughs since it has been so dry. A good dirt hole with some bait and lure works great. Good luck. It is addicting once you start catching them.

rolylane6 02-10-2021 02:07 PM

Big kitty! And beautiful!

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Deafishunter 02-11-2021 01:02 PM

Anybody checking the traps in this iced up weather?

Flint knapper 02-11-2021 02:30 PM

I caught 6 coons last weekend!

wytex 02-12-2021 09:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
We were planning to go set a few for this last weekend, weather moved in sooner than expected so we're done for the season it looks like.
We'll probably hunt a few coyotes still.
This is the highway we take to the property, not a good sign for trapping.
Did get our coyote hides dried for the buyer if he can get into town tomorrow.
We're going up today to check on things but no traps getting set.

BTLowry 02-12-2021 09:20 AM

Wytex that may be what it looks like in East Texas Monday or Tuesday

Was 25 here this morning which for us is about as low as normal and by Monday or Tuesday it is supposed to be single digits for lows :eek:

wytex 02-12-2021 10:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
We were expecting the snow tonight. Woke up to 3 degrees this morning, the cold finally came over the mountain to us. High today of 16 dropping all weekend after that.

Hope you all don't get too much, a little is fun but several inches could cause big problems down there.
Stay safe folks !

By the way, the high fence is a WG&F research facility, they have some nice bulls on that pen.

Deafishunter 02-12-2021 03:52 PM

I’ve been curious, what dirt do y’all use?
If unable to use the same dirt you dug out to set your trap in, then what dirt would you use instead?

My soil is all clay. So it’s terrible to use, and it’s also not the best to put anchors into as well.

I’ve had anchors in at 16 inch and 24 inches deep, and not in very good. So i use 2 anchors a trap instead of one.

wytex 02-13-2021 10:28 AM

Try to find you some dry dirt same color as your trapping ground, more sand in it maybe.
We also make and use wax dirt due to our cold temps all winter.
Spouse will gather a bucket full of dry dirt from the creek bank and keep it dry and make some wax dirt also for bedding when we know it will snow and then be sunny.
You need the flake wax to make wax dirt.