TexasBowhunter.com Community  Discussion Forums

TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/index.php)
-   Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Trapping Season Thread 2020-2021 (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=789585)

BTLowry 01-01-2021 09:21 PM

Well it finally quit raining.

Went out after lunch to set some more traps and the ground is so soupy I can't get earth anchor to hold driving 18" deep

Going to look at another few places I have in mind tomorrow and see how the ground is in those locations

Deafishunter 01-01-2021 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BTLowry (Post 15369660)
Well it finally quit raining.

Went out after lunch to set some more traps and the ground is so soupy I can't get earth anchor to hold driving 18" deep

Going to look at another few places I have in mind tomorrow and see how the ground is in those locations

Same here, went today to check and move a couple where thereís fresh tracks. The soil was really soft. Hopefully a dog doesnít pull a trap out and start running around with it.

wytex 01-02-2021 09:27 AM

No catches or misses, 24 sets out.
We had just a skiff of snow left but enough to show plenty of critters around, cats and coyotes.
We'll pull tomorrow morning , or spring, and reset late next week.
Big bobcat tracks right through the ranch house yard when we got there.

Deafishunter 01-02-2021 02:34 PM

I’ve been wondering, what is y’all’s choice of bait to use for coyotes and bobcats?

wytex 01-02-2021 03:04 PM

We use some lure and bait produced up this way.
John Graham's Bonanza Mild, Double Cross and Deception.
We've also used some Caven's Hiawatha Valley and O' Gorman's Powder River Cat Call.
I get fresh urine from a place in Utah for bobcat and coyote urine. Spouse picks up coyote turds to place with urine on scent post sets.
Spouse also uses googly eyed mice and rats for bait in cubby sets.

BT probably uses different scents and baits for your areas.

BTLowry 01-02-2021 08:18 PM

I am using powder river form Ogorman's, Mark June's Widowmaker and have some flat 365 from mark june on the way for bait

I have a variety of lures. James Lucero, Caven's and Dobbins. Just got Lucero stuff and you have to order over the phone or send order by mail. Think he is 80+ and still trapping in NM
Lucero -- Coyotero, JL#1 and Winter Wolf
Caven's -- Yodel Dog
Dobbins -- Back Breaker

Urine I have bought from F&T but if I could find a good supplier where I did not have to buy by the gallon I would try that.

Got 3 sets out today, probably try and get 3 more in tomorrow. Means I have to run them after dark during the week though when I get home

wytex 01-03-2021 08:39 AM

Montgomery Trap and Supply in Utah is where I get urine, John Graham, Fur Country Lures, also sells some in bottles smaller than gallons. Montgomery is great to deal with and being close to us we get our orders fast.
John Graham is in Wyoming so we try to give him business when possible.

Out to check this morning, pulling and springing traps today till next weekend.

BTLowry 01-03-2021 09:36 PM

Ended up with 5 sets

Stupid bovine stepped on the backing of my dirt hole set and caved it in, had to dig it back out with a stick on midday trap check

Got 2 more traps in the dirt today though, total of 4 flat sets and the dirt hole the cow stomped :D

Will check after I get home tomorrow night, weather dependent on check via atv or truck.

wytex I will note that and check with them next year on urine

wytex 01-04-2021 08:03 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Had 24 sets out and caught 2 bobcats. Biggest tom yet on the ranch, we weighed him at 39 lbs. Had such a pot gut on him he spouse had to see what he had eaten, stomach full of raccoon. Beautiful long fur and lots of big spots on the belly, smaller female also has nice spots. We should have them stretched and dried by the time fur buyer comes through in mid Jan.

wytex 01-04-2021 10:29 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Thought I would add, both cats were caught in Victor 1.75 with 4 coil springs. The extra springs really make them snappy and catch great high on the foot.

BTLowry 01-04-2021 12:16 PM

Nice set of bobcats

I didn't think much wanted to mess with a coon but I guess cats do :D

Somebody posted a pic of a mountain lion grabbing one off of a feeder in Old Mexico I think :D

wytex 01-04-2021 01:29 PM

Pretty sure the spouse was surprised by the find, bet it added a few pounds to his weight. Hair and all was inside.

Deafishunter 01-04-2021 02:00 PM

Thanks for the bait info, been trying to find different baiting options to catch some coyotes/bobcats, had been set out for one week, and haven't caught anything over dirt hole sets.

wytex 01-04-2021 07:29 PM

For your bobcat sets try some pigeon feathers scattered in the hole and around the set, maybe hang a wing above the set too.

BTLowry 01-04-2021 07:53 PM

Well I checked my traps this afternoon and got a little dejected

2 were dug out, not sure if they felt the screen pan covers, smelled them or how but they dug them out without getting caught or throwing the trap :(

Other 3 were untouched so that was a little encouraging

Deafishunter 01-04-2021 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wytex (Post 15376568)
For your bobcat sets try some pigeon feathers scattered in the hole and around the set, maybe hang a wing above the set too.

I have feathers and a wing with something shiny hanging over 2 sets, got pictures of bobcats walking through both of the sets for a week. They just havenít got into it.

wytex 01-05-2021 09:00 AM

Sounds like your set are good ones Deafishunter. We get pics of bobcats, watched one myself one morning, strolling right by trap sets.
BT I feel for you, coyotes are pretty wily.

Deafishunter 01-05-2021 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BTLowry (Post 15376647)

2 were dug out, not sure if they felt the screen pan covers, smelled them or how but they dug them out without getting caught or throwing the trap :(

Yeah, I had the same thing as well. 4 traps buried in dirt when they dug around them. Smart dogs.

Trapper76 01-10-2021 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BTLowry (Post 15376647)

BT donít feel too bad, everyone has traps dug out from time to time. Im sure you know the reasons. It was scented trap, not properly bedded, or he just knows where your trap is in relation to your attractant. I would say that the majority of the traps I have dug are from the scent from a previous catch. In my experience if a coyote digs a trap that doesnít trigger, heíll dig it again. I reset the dug trap, make a new set in in front of that one with a clean trap. Nothing feels better that to outsmart the smart ones. GOOD LUCK.

wytex 01-10-2021 12:53 PM

I don't know what's worse, having them dug up or finding paw prints on the pan that didn't go off.
Maybe your snow will show some new areas to set. We look forward to a little dusting for fresh tracks.

Good luck in the coming days. We'll set again this coming Friday through Monday and may be able to leave them running through that next week, spouse is working remotely from home that week. No work at home but he'll have a little time so we can go check every morning. That week will end our season.

BTLowry 01-10-2021 06:44 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Went out to check traps this morning and found this one. Pretty sure a deer stepped in it, jerked out and trap landed where it was. Think if a coon or something dug it out there would be no way for the chain to end up between broom grass and burnt stick?

Attachment 1035827

So I remade set and added a little red fox pee and a dab of Minnesota Red lure.
Went ahead and added a little fresh bait to my pipe dream/flat set and added a little pee and lure to the other flat set

Then about lunch the white stuff started falling, maybe an inch of accumulation

Attachment 1035828

Maybe it will help mask the traps :D

Sure wish someone could tell me how to correct this sideways picture crap!!!!:mad:

Texas452 01-10-2021 07:02 PM

When I trapped back in the 70ís I always used bait mostly sardines and birds and fish we caught mostly coons and possum.
My little brother started trapping a few years back and he uses all scents (coyote bobcat urine) and he does pretty good especially with bobcats.
I had a trapper come in for predator control mainly coyotes and he uses baits and a few snares.
What do some of you have the best luck with?
Thanks

wytex 01-11-2021 09:52 AM

We use urine and some lures and bait. For coyotes it seems less is more to catch them. Spouse picks up turds when he sees them and uses them for scent post sets with urine.
Heck, bobcats will go to a shiny CD hung from a bush.
Trail sets on coyotes have produced well for us this year, no bait or scent just a trail set with stepping sticks.
Bobcats like a visual it seems, coyotes are more scent oriented up here.

Trapper76 01-11-2021 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas452 (Post 15392180)
When I trapped back in the 70ís I always used bait mostly sardines and birds and fish we caught mostly coons and possum.
My little brother started trapping a few years back and he uses all scents (coyote bobcat urine) and he does pretty good especially with bobcats.
I had a trapper come in for predator control mainly coyotes and he uses baits and a few snares.
What do some of you have the best luck with?
Thanks

I think a lot of people put too much emphasis on the bait. The bait/lure is down the line in importance in my opinion to several other factors, mainly trap position in relation to the lure/bait. Just about any bait this time of the year will get a reaction. That being said, if I could only choose one bait/lure it would be Russ Carmens canine call.

BTLowry 01-13-2021 08:35 PM

Made some new sets today

Got 4 traps in the ground and 2 already there makes 6 total

Need to put some DPs out to get a few coons that are molesting my one feeder.

Texas452 01-14-2021 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trapper76 (Post 15391042)
BT donít feel too bad, everyone has traps dug out from time to time. Im sure you know the reasons. It was scented trap, not properly bedded, or he just knows where your trap is in relation to your attractant. I would say that the majority of the traps I have dug are from the scent from a previous catch. In my experience if a coyote digs a trap that doesnít trigger, heíll dig it again. I reset the dug trap, make a new set in in front of that one with a clean trap. Nothing feels better that to outsmart the smart ones. GOOD LUCK.

Iím going to try that

justindfw 01-14-2021 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wytex (Post 15306739)
Put out about 20 sets, caught 1 bobcat yesterday in a Bridger #3. Dirt hole set with pigeon wing for attractant and John Graham Tomcat lure.
Nice female with good spots and back color, she should bring a decent price.
We'll spring them tomorrow and maybe re set Friday , depending on snow coming.

Do they not go off of belly color now? I thought buyers liked white belly cats

BTLowry 01-14-2021 08:05 PM

Trapper76 the next dug out trap is getting a set made in front of it

Can you elaborate on this?
Set 8 inches or so back and a little offset or right on top of other trap?

wytex 01-16-2021 02:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by justindfw (Post 15403044)
Do they not go off of belly color now? I thought buyers liked white belly cats

The belly is most important but back color matters too.
We put out 21 more sets more this long weekend and will have last week in Jan to trap all week and for the last hurrah.

Furs we have now are ready for sale.

BTLowry 01-17-2021 07:37 AM

Nice set of fur wytex

Hope y'all get some good prices on your fur

Trapper76 01-17-2021 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BTLowry (Post 15403581)
Trapper76 the next dug out trap is getting a set made in front of it

Can you elaborate on this?
Set 8 inches or so back and a little offset or right on top of other trap?

Yessir make the set exactly like your trap is the attractant. I take some extra time on these sets and make sure they are blended in really well. I donít use too much to guide their feet on this set. I think that gives away trap location to a sly old yote.

wytex 01-17-2021 09:03 AM

You must be dealing with a sly old dog, we haven't had any dug up this year.
Go get him !

Checking this morning and springing them Sunday. Set again next weekend for a week then we are finished for the year.

BTLowry 01-17-2021 08:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Had one out of the bed this morning

I made a "compass" set and I think a coyote rolled on the trap as it was in the middle of 3 different scents

Could not find any clues other than the few hairs in the trap

Attachment 1036842

I did catch a coon in a DP

wytex 01-18-2021 02:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Nothing for us this weekend. Had a day and a half of high winds so everything was hunkered down. Had one miss on a bobcat, stepped beside the pan.
This morning found a snapped trap but not sure what we missed.
Spouse found some mink tracks on the creek so out come the smaller traps next weekend.

This pic shows the bounding mink tracks with some bobcat tracks on the frozen creek. The mink are the double tracks going diagonally across the bobcat's. These were right along where we missed the cat that didn't step on the pan.

wytex 01-20-2021 12:48 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Caught a decent female this morning and had a miss. Windy as heck again.

BTLowry 01-20-2021 06:41 PM

Rained enough here that my traps were sitting in water

Pulled all but 2 this afternoon

brandon 01-21-2021 08:34 PM

We are about to start "trying" to trap coyotes on our deer lease for the first time. We get out there every couple weeks for a few days. We definitely will not leaves traps set while we're gone but should we leave them in the ground or pull them every time we leave and reset the next time we're out? Really hoping we can just trip them and reset the next time we're out.

Trapper76 01-21-2021 09:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Three legged coyote today. I donít know what happened to his leg, but it looks like it was healing ok. He pulled a m44 and piled up about 20 yards away.

BTLowry 01-22-2021 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandon (Post 15421029)
We are about to start "trying" to trap coyotes on our deer lease for the first time. We get out there every couple weeks for a few days. We definitely will not leaves traps set while we're gone but should we leave them in the ground or pull them every time we leave and reset the next time we're out? Really hoping we can just trip them and reset the next time we're out.

I don't know any way to leave a trap set and avoid a catch, maybe someone does and will chime in. Otherwise I would have a quick connect on the chain if using an anchor so you could pull trap and just reset in same spot when you return

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trapper76 (Post 15421250)
Three legged coyote today. I donít know what happened to his leg, but it looks like it was healing ok. He pulled a m44 and piled up about 20 yards away.

I would suspect gunshot or got it in a trap
Most critters are much tougher than us humans ;)

Philip-TX 01-22-2021 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BTLowry (Post 15421551)
I don't know any way to leave a trap set and avoid a catch, maybe someone does and will chime in. Otherwise I would have a quick connect on the chain if using an anchor so you could pull trap and just reset in same spot when you return

I know an old trapper that put covers on 'em. He ran angora goats. He'd used a plywd bd that had a 2x2 around the perimeter (bottom). Checked 'em in the morning and covered 'em, then let then goats out. Penned goats at night, and uncovered. Probably also used the covers when it rained, etc.