Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2021 Catfish Thread

Well I guess it’s time to kick it off.

January 9th we took a road trip to the Tennessee River in Rogersville Alabama. We were planning on fishing Wheeler Lake but they had hosted large tournament the weekend before. So we ended up on Wilson. Josh Brown with Backwoods Catfishing Guide Service was our guide. (He won 2nd in tournament weekend before). Slow day fishing landing around 8 fish all in the 12-15lb range and finally got a big boy to play. Weighed 39.5Lbs breaking my personal best. Was a great time and learned a lot from Josh.

I’m keeping an eye on the weather this weekend, might try make the 4hr drive to Tawakoni. Anyone else fishing for Trophy winter catfish?

Posting pics from Tapatalk here in a second.

Last edited by kparker158; 01-19-2021, 11:48 AM.

Good day and nice fish.

Comment

I caught a 42 on Twok last week. I don’t know how to post pics tho.

Comment

Originally posted by mattfox View Post
        I caught a 42 on Twok last week. I don’t know how to post pics tho.
        Very nice, how deep of water?

Comment

Been killing em on Twak.
          30-50ft.
          Attached Files

Comment

Cant beat that! Looking forward to getting up there.

Comment

Awesome fish! Beside hunting, catfishing is the next best thing lol
              Last edited by ATX BANDIT; 01-19-2021, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Some big cats congrats! I need to invest more time trying to catch them
                On rod and reel.

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
                  Some big cats congrats! I need to invest more time trying to catch them
                  On rod and reel.
                  Its awesome. I look forward to Winter/Spring more than I look forward to Hunting season now.

Comment

Are those giant cats good eating? I grew up cane pole bank fishing under a 9" min and 40/day limit. We'd limit often but average maybe 12". They were great. Never cleaned one more than maybe 10lbs.

Comment

We are going to Lake Murray in Oklahoma early next month camping with 3 other families. We won't have a boat, but our sites are right on the water.

Any recommendations on bait, setups, tricks for catching catfish? I'm not familiar with the lake, or depth at our sites.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                        We are going to Lake Murray in Oklahoma early next month camping with 3 other families. We won't have a boat, but our sites are right on the water.

Any recommendations on bait, setups, tricks for catching catfish? I'm not familiar with the lake, or depth at our sites.
                        I have caught every catfish in the last 20 years or so while enjoying a cold beer. Not sure how or why, but I highly recommend this method

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
                          I have caught every catfish in the last 20 years or so while enjoying a cold beer. Not sure how or why, but I highly recommend this method
                          That part, I happen to excel at!

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post

This is pretty much the rig I use, really don’t need a barrel swivel, I just use the eye of the weight. I’ll throw some lines with peg floats and some without.

As far as bait, Shad is always a top performer but using cut up perch/bluegill works for me also. Plus perch are fun for the kids to catch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TexaRican View Post
                              Are those giant cats good eating? I grew up cane pole bank fishing under a 9" min and 40/day limit. We'd limit often but average maybe 12". They were great. Never cleaned one more than maybe 10lbs.
                              The ones out of Tawokoni are .
                              Haven't kept a big one in yrs, but don’t think anything has changed.

Comment

Working...
                              X