What powders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What powders

I finally got a single stage press, dies, powder scale, etc. and want to get started reloading again. My question is what powders do I start to use for a .204 Ruger, 6.5 Creedmor, and 7mm Rem Mag.
    Also what primers do I use for the .204 and the 6.5 CM?
    I understand that its going to be a chore to find powder and primers but it is what it is.

Thanks the advice.
    Rudy

If I can find an express your way I’ll shoot you a lb of 4350 and a few primers to get you started on that Creedmoor. No cost to you. Won’t be much, but it’ll get you the first 150 rounds or so. I can throw in 100 SRP as well for the 204. Unfortunately I don’t have any powder for it though.

Comment

Good for you Rudy- think once you get into it, you will really enjoy doing your own reloading. Unfortunately, right now with the current ammo and reloading components availability. Powder & primers are more likely to be "it ain't what it ain't". Those two items are super hard to find right now. Good luck it brother.
      Ed

Comment

RL10x seems to be the ticket for the .204. I do not have any but could spare some varget and BR-4's to get you going.

Comment

Do your self a favor and get a good manual too

Comment

The Hodgdon website has a good data center. Get on it, select you bullet weight for each caliber, and you can get a good list of Hodgdon, imr, and Winchester powders for each one.

Comment

Originally posted by Hills of Texas View Post
              Do your self a favor and get a good manual too
              or two

I'm no help on the 204 but for the 6.5c I've been really happy with H4350 and whatever large rifle primers I have. Has worked well so far in everything from 129gr to 156gr

Comment

I don't shoot 204, but I've had good results with h4350 and reloader 16 in 6.5manbun

Comment

H4895 runs great in my .204 just FYI. I had a load worked up using 39 gr blitzkings, H4895, and was running norma brass. Can't remember what primer it was off top of my head but was consistently between .5-.75 3 and 5 shot groups. Those 39 gr blitzkings are hell on coyotes and foxes as well. Itty bitty hole in and nothing out the back, Can't hardly tell they were shot, just fall over dead.

Been shooting factory stuff lately as haven't had a desire or need to mess with it for price I got the factory stuff at, but the 40 gr vmax is also hell on varmints as well. They just don't quite seem to shoot as well as the 39 gr blitzking but both are excellent coyote bullets and wouldn't be afraid to shoot either one.
                  Last edited by westtexducks; 02-11-2021, 10:30 AM.

Comment

For 7 mag my current load is running H1000 powder, 162 gr sst bullet, CCI #250 large rifle magnum primers and norma brass. Working great so far on one elk and a couple of pigs. Haven't had a chance to shoot anything else with it yet. If I do my part I can keep a 5 round group touching, but I will be first to tell you it isn't the rifle or loads fault when they don't out of an 8 lb hunting rifle.

Comment

I shoot a case full of N133 in the 20 Tactical...I'm sure it will work in the 204

Comment

great info guys, thanks. I'll order a reloading book today.

Comment

CFE223 for 204
                          Staball 6.5 or H4350 for ManBun
                          H1000 or Retumbo for 7 mag
                          Any rifle primer will do. I prefer CCI or Federal GMM. Remington 9-1/2 are good but becoming extinct.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                            If I can find an express your way I’ll shoot you a lb of 4350 and a few primers to get you started on that Creedmoor. No cost to you. Won’t be much, but it’ll get you the first 150 rounds or so. I can throw in 100 SRP as well for the 204. Unfortunately I don’t have any powder for it though.
                            Man if he doesn’t take you up on this offer let me know please! I’m having a hard time finding any H4350 at all. Been searching for like 3 months now!

Comment

Originally posted by takarge View Post
                              Man if he doesn’t take you up on this offer let me know please! I’m having a hard time finding any H4350 at all. Been searching for like 3 months now!
                              Rudy has accepted, but we’re still trying to figure out the express situation. If it falls through I’ll keep you in mind.

Comment

Working...
                              X