Field judging Blackbuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Field judging Blackbuck

Any tips on judging these? A buddy has a couple on his lease he invited me to and was asking, but I don’t have a clue. I told him if it looked good to him let it rip.

3 curls or more

Comment

What TexasAg said. 3 curls and they are a shooter

Comment

3 twist and 1/2 curl at top facing forward are shooters!!! I am watching this one.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Landrover,

When will this buck’s hair turn from tan to mostly black?

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo1 View Post
            Landrover,

When will this buck’s hair turn from tan to mostly black?
            [emoji117].....and that is why I am watching him.....lol!!! [emoji854] Mature ones jet black mostly but he is the biggest on the place. I am sure we have some residential experts on here.

Comment

3 curl is a good one. Have also heard 3 ear lengths long. I believe their ears are 6-7 in long.

I will be at OX Ranch Monday for a BB among other things.

Comment

This one is also from my lease....smaller....but still brownish. Could it be genetically driven?

Comment

I just found one about that size dead on my ranch road a couple of hours ago. They love to fight and this one was about 3yrs old. Rough out there for them.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DKirk View Post
                    Any tips on judging these? A buddy has a couple on his lease he invited me to and was asking, but I don’t have a clue. I told him if it looked good to him let it rip.
                    The one Landrover posted a pic of is about 2.25 curls and around 17" long.
                    Mass and length make him a trophy. It usually takes 3+ curls to get 20 inches but that's not a rule..
                    Their ear is about 4.5 inches long. Use that as a gauge to determine approx. length. Males turn black with age..

Comment

Dominant ones will turn black regardless of age

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The trick to judging them is shooting the first one that stands still.

Comment

Thanks fellas I relayed the info now need to see if they’ll cooperate.

Comment

Decide if you want length or curls , they don’t necessarily go together. The longest one we have shot was a hair over 25”. It didn’t have the most curls by a long shot. We have shot several 20” that were 4 curls and a few 22-23” that had below 4 curls. The dark
                            Color is a combination of dominance, age, time of year and genetics.

Comment

What is their meat levels to each? How does compare to Axost?

Comment

Working...
                              X