FFL Denying ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FFL Denying ID

I have a private FFL (in Texas) and who accepted a firearm transfer for me but is denying my use of my valid LTC for my identification.

I have a couple thoughts on this and wondering what other peoples knowledge is. 1) House Bill 2739 in Texas states that an LTC is a valid ID and should only be denied use in three separate instances unrelated to firearm transfers.
    2) the ATFs intent for using valid ID is so that the FFL can properly ID the person. This is my second time using this guy, so he already knows that I am who I say I am plus I have #1 to push the issue.

How should I address this with the FFL? If I show him the HB2739 language and he just says no, then what?

Thanks.

Reason you cant just use ID instead of ltc?

Comment

You don’t have a TDL?

If not, then show him the language in the bill and ask him to reconsider.

If yes, show him your TDL unless you’re trying to prove a point.

Comment

Why can’t you just show your DL?

Comment

Valid questions posted.

Comment

My DL just expired and I was unaware of that and there was a hold on my renewal. It’ll take a few days to clear up the hold on my DL renewal. So there’s the why on the DL.

But that’s besides the point in the eyes of the law.

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
              You don’t have a TDL?

If not, then show him the language in the bill and ask him to reconsider.

If yes, show him your TDL unless you’re trying to prove a point.
              And if he says no… which is my original question.

Comment

Originally posted by Hooverfb View Post
                Reason you cant just use ID instead of ltc?
                Valid DL or state ID (the one without driving privileges) are the commonly accepted ones and yes he would accept either.

Comment

Maybe he's concerned about the possibility that there's something on your record that prevents you from obtaining a new DL, and he just wants to be sure. ??

Comment

Fwiw, if you operate a business in Texas, you should know the laws that your business must abide by. I’m trying to get my rifle asap, not to prove a point. His condescending attitude makes me want to just prove a point but it’s not worth my time either and I’d otherwise wait until my DL is renewed. I’m not an A-hole that would make a big deal about it. Just wouldn’t use him again.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                      Maybe he's concerned about the possibility that there's something on your record that prevents you from obtaining a new DL, and he just wants to be sure. ??
                      Maybe but I could show him the reasons on the TX website as to why and they don’t keep me from buying a firearm.

There is a line in the ATF laws regarding transfers that if an ID isn’t valid an FFL can stop the transfer until it’s valid. However, he stated that an LTC flat out can not be used. Which as far as I can tell isn’t true and actually illegal for him to do. And since I would still present a valid ID, it should negate the invalid ID, IMO, but that’s why I came here to ask.
                      Last edited by landman650; 11-28-2021, 09:51 PM.

Comment

Being a man of principle has cost me a few times. However the principle of the matter is very important to me as it seems to be to you. I'd hammer him with it.

Comment

Originally posted by landman650 View Post
                          Fwiw, if you operate a business in Texas, you should know the laws that your business must abide by. I’m trying to get my rifle asap, not to prove a point. His condescending attitude makes me want to just prove a point but it’s not worth my time either and I’d otherwise wait until my DL is renewed. I’m not an A-hole that would make a big deal about it. Just wouldn’t use him again.
                          If you own and operate a business, you should also know what the penalties are if you make a mistake in paperwork. To him possibly could mean a loss of FFL. To him that $25 he'll make isn't worth the risk.

Maybe try being polite and explaining to him about your DL and that you have researched it and you are of the belief that a LTC is sufficient ID. If he disagrees ask him for an explanation.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by junkmanhunter View Post
                            If you own and operate a business, you should also know what the penalties are if you make a mistake in paperwork. To him possibly could mean a loss of FFL. To him that $25 he'll make isn't worth the risk.

Maybe try being polite and explaining to him about your DL and that you have researched it and you are of the belief that a LTC is sufficient ID. If he disagrees ask him for an explanation.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I think we all know the regulations that an FFL is subject to is ridiculously stringent. But flat out not knowing a law is beyond taking precautions.

I agree on taking the high road approach and being polite.

Comment

I do believe a ffl is no different from any other business. If they don't want your business you are sol.

Comment

Working...
                              X