TexasBowhunter.com Community  Discussion Forums

TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/index.php)
-   Around the Campfire (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Funny public land discoveries (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=744999)

deerslayer94 10-01-2019 09:53 PM

Funny public land discoveries

Thinking back to when I was in my late teens early twenties I had a buddy who had a golden spot in the National forest way back in there. We were young and stupid so his idea to try to keep people out of that area was he hung abunch of dolls on the trees in that area to make it look creepy lol thinking back on it of course it was stupid but funny. Whatís the weirdest thing youíve come across on public land?

sideways 10-01-2019 09:58 PM

I saw those dolls and ran like hell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

flywise 10-01-2019 09:59 PM

It would have worked on me....back in those deep woods coming across dolls, Id burn the sols off of my boots getting out of there

Wood Man 10-01-2019 09:59 PM

Once I ran across a mattress and a bunch of condemns on the ground. I chose to hunt another area after stumbling across that.

Mr. Whiskers 10-01-2019 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wood Man (Post 14405435)
Once I ran across a mattress and a bunch of condemns on the ground. I chose to hunt another area after stumbling across that.

Iíd of set up a game camera

redfishted 10-01-2019 10:08 PM

One morning just after daylight in the fog walking out from a duck hunt I came a cross a dilapidated shack and on the back side was painted the red smiley face from Red John, I’m 54 and been in the woods all my life and can count on one hand the things that have unnerved me, that’s one of them.

jerp 10-01-2019 10:09 PM

Back in the mid 1970s my high school buddies and I would go shooting/hunting on the old WWII Camp Gruber in NE Oklahoma. At the time it was around 75 square miles and big areas of it was unused until the national guard took it over and started keeping people out. We hiked in maybe 10 miles over rough country and set up camp. In a creek bottom we found a vintage Harley Davidson - probably from the 1940’s - just sitting there still on the kickstand like somebody just parked it and walked off. It had been sitting there so long a 10 foot tree had grown up through the frame. Always wondered what the story was

joet8805 10-01-2019 10:16 PM

Not really that weird but this past weekend I came across the second tree stand in the area I’ve decided to hunt. It has been there so long that the bark on the tree is starting to grow over the strapping material used to keep it in place. About 50 yards from there in a creek bottom I found a large 10 point skull that had decomposed poorly in the creek. I have been wondering if the hunter got the deer and was the given the dilemma of taking the deer or the stand and decided on the deer, taking only what he could or wanted to carry.

HotRod Hunter 10-01-2019 10:43 PM

Last year I was driving in on a back road early one morning 4am or so well after deciding to hunt a different spot I decided to turn around on an old drive not a vehicle around for couple of miles. As I pulled into the old drive kind of quickly. There was a guy not 20 yds from the front of my truck with his pants around his knees he started to try and run deeper in the woods but couldn’t move very quickly with his pants down the way they were. I’m not sure who was more shocked me or him. I guess his buddy or someone had dropped him off. I’m sure neither of us will ever forget that .

basschump 10-01-2019 11:07 PM

I came across a little yellow forest service sign nailed to a tree in Colorado when I was taking shelter In a clump of aspen and pines in the middle of a huge meadow during a September storm. It said something line a livestock trail or a highway.

I thought I heard a faint bell ringing during the downpour. It got louder and louder until the lead sheep appeared ahead of a herd of several hundred. There were shepherds on horseback along with pack animals and their border collies. It was quite a show. Passes within yards of me without ever seeing me. Didnít see any elk afterwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Killer 10-01-2019 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HotRod Hunter (Post 14405543)
Last year I was driving in on a back road early one morning 4am or so well after deciding to hunt a different spot I decided to turn around on an old drive not a vehicle around for couple of miles. As I pulled into the old drive kind of quickly. There was a guy not 20 yds from the front of my truck with his pants around his knees he started to try and run deeper in the woods but couldnít move very quickly with his pants down the way they were. Iím not sure who was more shocked me or him. I guess his buddy or someone had dropped him off. Iím sure neither of us will ever forget that .

Thatís funny right there!

Radar 10-01-2019 11:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
These was hanging at the start of a trail, I kinda figgered that meant no trespassing and went back to the truck.

Attachment 974575

Mission408 10-01-2019 11:29 PM

Coon hunting in Michigan, and posted around the boarder were flyers about a school teacher that had gone missing a while back. Way back in the swanp i stumbled on what looked like a tarp over a coffin. Freaked me out. Second look it was an instrument case to a tuba or bass. Gave it a quick kick to make sure it wasnt full of anything and carried on.

krtnorris 10-01-2019 11:58 PM

My dad and I came across a flipped over 1942 pickup in the woods at night and when got out our flashlights to look inside the first thing we saw was a dishwashing plastic glove that was yellowish orange. Thought it was a hand and we both took off running.

And mountain lions they always scare me.

BarW 10-02-2019 12:22 AM

Found a plane fuselage in a wilderness area in colorado. Never got closer than 100 yards or so looked like it went down several years prior and it was in a real sketchy spot to get to and back out.
Reported it to the sheriff's office, they had no record of it, never heard anything more.
Buddies brother is convinced the plane was full of drug money and we missed the chance to get rich.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Froggy 10-02-2019 09:39 AM

Not funny but......

I found a large meth lab on the National Grasslands. Looked like it had been used for a longtime.

Back in the early 80's I was cruising a small tract of timber on private land and came across what looked like two graves in a thicket. At the back of the tract I found a leather bag with someone's school books and ID. I called the Harris County Sheriff's Office to report it and they never showed up. :confused:

Quackerbox 10-02-2019 10:13 AM

Dad and I found an old car on a island on Conroe jumping ducks. Far as I know its still there and assume it got there before the lake was flooded.

Arrowflinger84 10-02-2019 10:18 AM

was hunting on lake Grapevine and walked up on a homeless colony that was currently occupied. It was dark since I was traveling to the blind and they thought it was a drug raid or something so kind of crazy for a bit. I kept on walking, at a faster pace, found my tree and started climbing. My heart was racing faster than any deer I had a chance at seeing. Good times.

Goldeneagle 10-02-2019 10:21 AM

Found a burnt cross on Lavon Corp land years ago.

ATI 10-02-2019 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Whiskers (Post 14405445)
Iíd of set up a game camera

LOL! ;)b

Hart8 10-02-2019 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrowflinger84 (Post 14406203)
was hunting on lake Grapevine and walked up on a homeless colony that was currently occupied. It was dark since I was traveling to the blind and they thought it was a drug raid or something so kind of crazy for a bit. I kept on walking, at a faster pace, found my tree and started climbing. My heart was racing faster than any deer I had a chance at seeing. Good times.

That's hilarious!

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Jcjohnson 10-02-2019 10:34 AM

A few pot plants and a meth lab

Bureau2 10-02-2019 10:42 AM

Good stuff here! Wish I had something to share...

texan4ut 10-02-2019 11:20 AM

Back in the 70's when you could hunt paper co land without a permit I had spent several days making me a makeshift blind behind a fallen tree. Brought in some fallen limbs and stuff and made it look pretty good. It overlooked a creek that was covered up with deer tracks. I had been driving into the trail head/camp, however opening morning it had been raining pretty hard so I decided to walk in with a buddy since it was dark. As I walked the trail I usually would drive I stepped on something and it moved then screamed bloody murder. Scared the crap out of me and him. Some guy had just laid is sleeping bag down in the middle of the road and me and my buddy stepped right on top of him. It was funny afterward. I still think though if it hadn't been raining I might have run over him if I didn't see him in the head lights.

6.5CM 10-02-2019 11:28 AM

Keep them coming I love reading stories like this.

GarGuy 10-02-2019 11:48 AM

Years ago I was trailing a wounded deer way back in a big thicket and across a deep creek. I came upon a small clearing that had been recently cut. At the back of the clearing was a stage maybe 15 ft wide and 30 ft long. Built solid on cinder blocks and ply wood floor. The stage had a frame on It that looked like it once had a cutain. The center of the stage was covered in dried blood.

All that material had to be carried in there by hand. I saw their trail and walked it back to where they crossed that steep creek. It was a full mile to the nearest road in that direction. Remnants of several camp fires around the stage. Couldn't have been more than a couple days old. I we t back in there a couple years later and it was still there and the clearing was grown up like it hadn't been used again. No clue

Qban 10-02-2019 12:00 PM

Good stories!

Duckologist 10-02-2019 12:01 PM

Found this in da middle of national foresthttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...b3e5f76aaa.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

7sdad 10-02-2019 12:14 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Found this 6 miles deep in a wilderness area in Colorado. It's patent was in the 1800's.

Brazos Hunter 10-02-2019 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7sdad (Post 14406457)
Found this 6 miles deep in a wilderness area in Colorado. It's patent was in the 1800's.

Thatís pretty darn nifty!

Michael

EarleyBird 10-02-2019 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GarGuy (Post 14406399)
Years ago I was trailing a wounded deer way back in a big thicket and across a deep creek. I came upon a small clearing that had been recently cut. At the back of the clearing was a stage maybe 15 ft wide and 30 ft long. Built solid on cinder blocks and ply wood floor. The stage had a frame on It that looked like it once had a cutain. The center of the stage was covered in dried blood.

All that material had to be carried in there by hand. I saw their trail and walked it back to where they crossed that steep creek. It was a full mile to the nearest road in that direction. Remnants of several camp fires around the stage. Couldn't have been more than a couple days old. I we t back in there a couple years later and it was still there and the clearing was grown up like it hadn't been used again. No clue

That is crazy! No telling what that was, some cult ritual or something. People are weird.

droebuck 10-02-2019 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duckologist (Post 14406432)
Found this in da middle of national foresthttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...b3e5f76aaa.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Remnants left over from a Christmas party at the homeless camp in post #18.

Backwoods101 10-02-2019 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GarGuy (Post 14406399)

Wth? On a side note, glad to see you back posting

yotethumper 10-02-2019 12:35 PM

I "found" a body but didn't realize it at the time. Smelled something dead by the gate. Didn't smell like anything dead I had smelled before. I figured it was just road kill and went hunting. Couple days later an old man metal detecting found a hooker's body wrapped in trash bags in the ditch by the gate...

Stoof 10-02-2019 12:38 PM

Early 2000's were camped on top of Mt. Yonah in North Georgia on a rock climbing trip. It was getting late and we were getting tipsy. We kept hearing noises in the woods all around camp. The noises got more and more surreal, then low growls and howls circling us. None of us had the jewels to leave the fire to investigate and we circled the wagons scared as all get up. All of the sudden all hell broke loose and a group of Army Rangers in full kit and NV's broke out of the woods and into our camp. Scared the living crap out of us. They got a good laugh out of it. Once we cleaned out our shorts we sat down for a few minutes with them and shared some food. Awesome group of guys. They did ask that we not report seeing them as it could get them in trouble as part of the patrol was not to be seen. They just couldn't resist the temptation of messing with us out there. Not really a find but a cool public land thing.

Ouch 10-02-2019 12:43 PM

Panties. With pooh in them.

I had a buddy find a "fake wiener."

HoustonHunter94 10-02-2019 12:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I went on a ride in elk hunting trip in Montana in 2012. Rode horses 22 miles into the mountains bordering Yellowstone. Was way up on a hillside and sat down to class and the little tree I leaned up against had a small jar with a little metal handle on it and was the limb had grown through the handle. No telling how long it had been there and just odd that so far back in the woods, I would sit down next to that tree. I wish I would have gotten a picture. Here is a pic for reference on how far back there we were.
Attachment 974625

wes122984 10-02-2019 01:01 PM

Took a buddy of mine duck hunting one time and he didnt own any waders. Couldnt afford a pair at the time. Luck would have it in the bank of the lake in the sand we saw a boot sticking up out of it. Dug it up and it was nice pair of waders with no holes/leaks! Boot size fit him perfect also.

HotRod Hunter 10-02-2019 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ouch (Post 14406550)
Panties. With pooh in them.

I had a buddy find a "fake wiener."

I hope you left the souvenir where you found it

Grizz83 10-02-2019 01:04 PM

I've shared this story a few times. This is 100% true.

Back about 12 years or so when I was going to A&M, I was scouting the Sam Houston Forest in August. I had parked at a locked gate and walked in about a mile or so on the road, but by this point the road was basically a narrow trail. Well, I stumbled upon a cooler sitting right in the middle of the road/trail. Medium sized Coleman cooler. There were no tire tracks or boot tracks on the entire walk in. As far as I knew I was all alone.

Well, I'm caught by surprise by this cooler. I stop and think about what the heck this cooler is doing out here 1+ mile from the main road with no sign of anyone around. Body parts from a mutilated body seemed the most likely option at this moment. I actually hollered out loud if anyone was around. No answer. I walk right up to the cooler and inspect it without opening it. I see no traces of blood on the outside, so that put me at ease a bit. But this cooler looks fresh, like it hasn't been there long. I then holler out again, this time even louder. Still no answer.

Finally, I cant stand it anymore, I have to open it and see what's inside. So I open the lid, and lo and behold, I chit you not, there is iced down Miller Lite inside the cooler! Probably about a 12 pack or so. It was hot, and I was sweating. So i grabbed a few beers and went on my way. I hollered out loud 1 last time "I grabbed a few of your beers, thanks!" Still no response.

But then I got to thinking....what if this was bait? Am I being hunted? Is that banjos I hear off in the distance? I hit the brush and made my way back to the truck a different way.

I still have no idea how a cooler loaded down with ice and beer made it that far back in with no trace of another person. So I decided there was only 1 logical conclusion: That was Bigfoot's cooler full of beer, and he likes Miller Lite!

Jspradley 10-02-2019 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stoof (Post 14406534)
Early 2000's were camped on top of Mt. Yonah in North Georgia on a rock climbing trip. It was getting late and we were getting tipsy. We kept hearing noises in the woods all around camp. The noises got more and more surreal, then low growls and howls circling us. None of us had the jewels to leave the fire to investigate and we circled the wagons scared as all get up. All of the sudden all hell broke loose and a group of Army Rangers in full kit and NV's broke out of the woods and into our camp. Scared the living crap out of us. They got a good laugh out of it. Once we cleaned out our shorts we sat down for a few minutes with them and shared some food. Awesome group of guys. They did ask that we not report seeing them as it could get them in trouble as part of the patrol was not to be seen. They just couldn't resist the temptation of messing with us out there. Not really a find but a cool public land thing.

You left out the gangbang part... oh wait I wasn't supposed to repeat that

oops!

Mahan 10-02-2019 01:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[quote=Radar;14405620]These was hanging at the start of a trail, I kinda figgered that meant no trespassing and went back to the truck.

[ATTACH]974575[/ATTA

jjaimes 10-02-2019 01:24 PM

Keep them coming!

Stoof 10-02-2019 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jspradley (Post 14406627)
You left out the gangbang part... oh wait I wasn't supposed to repeat that

oops!

Well, they did have guns. We didn't. :eek:

ETX_REAPER 10-02-2019 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deerslayer94 (Post 14405423)
Thinking back to when I was in my late teens early twenties I had a buddy who had a golden spot in the National forest way back in there. We were young and stupid so his idea to try to keep people out of that area was he hung abunch of dolls on the trees in that area to make it look creepy lol thinking back on it of course it was stupid but funny. Whatís the weirdest thing youíve come across on public land?

Was this any where near lake Conroe? I remember walking in and seeing a bunch of dolls hanging and I got the hell out of dodge.

CEO 10-02-2019 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yotethumper (Post 14406525)
I "found" a body but didn't realize it at the time. Smelled something dead by the gate. Didn't smell like anything dead I had smelled before. I figured it was just road kill and went hunting. Couple days later an old man metal detecting found a hooker's body wrapped in trash bags in the ditch by the gate...

Putting this cover story in the hopper in case my dna is ever found on a dead prostitute. "I was just hunting nearby officer, I swear."

lovemylegacy 10-02-2019 08:31 PM

I was scouting some property and I was a long way from any roads. Came upon an old township with a historical marker. Old, old buildings with grownup bushes and trees in the buildings. No roads, got no idea how the sign got there. I think it was called Belgrade or New Belgrade, something along that line. Pretty cool.

J_Riley 10-02-2019 09:08 PM

The best one i have is me and my grandad was fishing the grasslands by Decatur just pond hopping I think we were going to clear lake. In my quite little Toyota rolled up on a guy and girl getting it on in the bed of the truck. They had no clue we was there tell I had to shift gear. And seeing my 80 year old grandad laughing was the best thing!

jds247 10-02-2019 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovemylegacy (Post 14407586)
I was scouting some property and I was a long way from any roads. Came upon an old township with a historical marker. Old, old buildings with grownup bushes and trees in the buildings. No roads, got no idea how the sign got there. I think it was called Belgrade or New Belgrade, something along that line. Pretty cool.

Is that off of fm 1416 ?? There is a community called Belgrade

HotRod Hunter 10-02-2019 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Riley (Post 14407690)
The best one i have is me and my grandad was fishing the grasslands by Decatur just pond hopping I think we were going to clear lake. In my quite little Toyota rolled up on a guy and girl getting it on in the bed of the truck. They had no clue we was there tell I had to shift gear. And seeing my 80 year old grandad laughing was the best thing!

Thatís Awesome