Help me layout my deck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me layout my deck

I’m trying to put an estimate together on materials for a deck at our home. I have attached a picture. Here are my questions

1. What size joists 2x6 or 2x8?
    2. What spacing? 16” or 24”?
    3. How far apart should I put the posts?
    4. Is there a way I can save money?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Up

Comment

This is no help to you. But looks like a great place to hang out once finished!!

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
        This is no help to you. But looks like a great place to hang out once finished!!

That’s the goal! Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
          I’m trying to put an estimate together on materials for a deck at our home. I have attached a picture. Here are my questions

1. What size joists 2x6 or 2x8?
          2. What spacing? 16” or 24”?
          3. How far apart should I put the posts?
          4. Is there a way I can save money?

I built my deck about 10 years ago. 2x6 on 16" center. I but a 4x4 every 4 feet. I had to rebuild the decking last year but the runners were still in good shape and solid.
          I would recommend decking with 2x6 instead of the "deck boards" that are around 1" i believe.

Comment

I used 2x6, I believe it was 16" apart, and instead of posts, I used concrete blocks. FYI, it was attached to my shed.
            Last edited by ctom87; 02-24-2020, 05:03 PM.

Comment

I’m thinking if I used 2x6x12’s for everything. I could space the posts at 6’ on center and run the joist long ways and run the deck boards the short way on the deck....am I wrong by thinking I am gonna have a lot of extra post I have to set if I’m secure if them to the joist? I’m thinking it will be cheaper and easier if I set beams first. I just don’t think I have enough room to do that I’m trying to match the height of my existing deck. Finished height on deck needs to be around 10”

Comment

Even if I stagger posts on each joists I will still have a row of posts every 16”. Seems very excessive

Comment

you going to set post in ground OR use deck blocks set in shallow holes?

Comment

Originally posted by Big_gun View Post
                    you going to set post in ground OR use deck blocks set in shallow holes?

Sandy soil. Thinking posts in ground with concrete

Comment

With such a short height you could get away with setting blocks in a shallow hole as previously suggested. Stick with 2x6x12's on 16" centers. You could run your decking on a diagonal for a more aesthetic appearance but it will waste more material.

Comment

Is this totally free-standing or connected to a structure with a ledger? This will affect the number of posts and joist length/direction. Also, are you planning to use composite deck boards (Trex, choicedek, etc)? If the soil stays wet, use galvanized joist anchors in the concrete and set off the wood so it doesn't touch the dirt. Rotten posts will be the hardest thing to repair down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by 100%TtId View Post
                          Is this totally free-standing or connected to a structure with a ledger? This will affect the number of posts and joist length/direction. Also, are you planning to use composite deck boards (Trex, choicedek, etc)? If the soil stays wet, use galvanized joist anchors in the concrete and set off the wood so it doesn't touch the dirt. Rotten posts will be the hardest thing to repair down the road.

It will be against my house but not connected

Comment

This not complete, but an example of the program I use.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
                              This not complete, but an example of the program I use.

That’s nice! Is it a free program?

Comment

Working...
                              X