Sales Tax on Internet Out of State Purchases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sales Tax on Internet Out of State Purchases

The tax man is going to get some more of your money. Lots of internet based companies are now charging sales tax even on out of state purchases. Ebay started and the rest will probably follow suit. This taxing crap never ends.

Why are they doing this? Are they now required too?

Comment

Last stuff I bought on Amazon did not have tax on it

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
        Why are they doing this? Are they now required too?
        I would guess states are missing out on lots of revenue from online purchases that do not collect state sales tax.

Just think how many more illegals Texas can take care of if that money was collected from online purchases

Comment

You got something formal going into action?? This would HIGHLY affect my online consignment sales:

Buy online at GunBroker.com, the world's largest gun auction site. GunBroker.com has for sale from thousands of trusted sellers.

I bet less than 10% of my online consignments are purchased from TX...that is how tight the market is. Shipping & tax considerations are huge for people. The state of TX asked me to file my sales tax 1x per year due to my business model. If I have to charge sales tax for every online purchase due to state lines not being an issue, the game is going to change & I have not heard anything.

Comment

What are the parameters for this?
            I thought I read it was going into effect in September and remember reading a sponsor say something about it also.

Main reason I shop online/ have a amazon account is 1) Convenient 2) Avoiding sales taxes on majority of items

Comment

Here you go. Out of state sellers have to charge sales tax effective October 1, 2019.

The Texas Comptroller's office collects state and local sales tax, and we allocate local sales tax revenue to cities, counties and other taxing units.

Out of State Sellers: Register Now!

Remote sellers are required to begin sales and use tax collections on Oct. 1, 2019. You should:

Read about the tax responsibilities for remote sellers.
              Register for a Texas sales and use tax permit. (This is easy to do online with Webfile.)
              Verify your sales and use tax permit status.

Comment

What a crock of crap!

Comment

That will be impossible to police

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post
                    What are the parameters for this?
                    I thought I read it was going into effect in September and remember reading a sponsor say something about it also.

Main reason I shop online/ have a amazon account is 1) Convenient 2) Avoiding sales taxes on majority of items
                    What I understand is the Supreme Court last year said the individual states can require sales tax to be collected from online sales.

I would make an assumption that Texas has no state income tax and relies heavily on sales tax collections, so there is a motive. Reckon you could do a search on the internet and find a much better answer than what my redneck azz just said
                    Last edited by Radar; 10-02-2019, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Wonder how quickly other states will do the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                        You got something formal going into action?? This would HIGHLY affect my online consignment sales:

Buy online at GunBroker.com, the world's largest gun auction site. GunBroker.com has for sale from thousands of trusted sellers.

I bet less than 10% of my online consignments are purchased from TX...that is how tight the market is. Shipping & tax considerations are huge for people. The state of TX asked me to file my sales tax 1x per year due to my business model. If I have to charge sales tax for every online purchase due to state lines not being an issue, the game is going to change & I have not heard anything.
                        It shouldn't affect you as this is for companies outside the state of Texas. They now have to charge sales tax for items shipped into the state. Other states are doing the same thing so you may need to register with the 49 other states and start collecting taxes for items you sell out of state.

Comment

Originally posted by friscopaint View Post
                          That will be impossible to police
                          Yes it will. Lot's of people will charge the tax and pocket the money. What are they gonna do about it?

Comment

Sales and use tax have been a huge cash grab here in Minnesota for years. Before we had Amazon fulfillment here everyone loved the additional savings, then the tax man figured out it was a good opener for sales and use tax audits. Gotta feed the hungry machine.

Comment

I bought a couple higher dollar items online this weekend before the tax got applied on the 1st.

Comment

Working...
                              X