Last Night's Hunt--long read and pic heavy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last Night's Hunt--long read and pic heavy

I have been whining that July had not started well, but is ending well as I shot a boar Sunday evening. Took the bow out to the local spot tonight, in the seat about 8 or so. Gusty, swirling winds so it wasn't too hot. Had just made an adjustment to the seat back and settled back and felt something crawl onto my hand---it was a big scorpion, but I was able to flick him off with no sting. Whew!!

About 8:40 or so I caught motion to my left--a doe. She hung up on the trail I walked in on--and I discovered a distinct disadvantage of not having cows around---no cow pies to use as scent cover. Doe backed off and I saw more motion further to my left--another couple of deer, and noticed a really black spot behind a mesquite about 18 yds away--Pig!!!! He did the same thing as the doe when he hit my trail, sniffed about twice, swapped ends and started back to my left. Since I'm a lefty--that is not a good way for him to go but I was able to turn slowly, get hooked up to the string, draw, and anchor. When he stopped at 14 yds, I put the pin on what I thought was mid-chest and squeezed it off. Heard the dull "thump-crunch" sound I associate with a good hit, saw the lighted nock in the ground behind where the hog was standing, and the hog lunged and took off. Too dark to see much of anything except the general direction though--but listened and thought I heard a crash, so I was confident. Waited 15 minutes, climbed down and checked the arrow--bubbly blood on the vanes.

Walked the trail area where he ran off but no blood anywhere. Returned to the arrow and started over. Found this about 5' from the arrow.

Finally, about 25-35 yds from the arrow found this, but it wasn't very encouraging

I had my hand held thermal scanner and was scanning all around but coming up with nothing, so decided to go outside the treeline and scan the field and look back into the trees as well--nothing. So I went back to the arrow and started back carefully--still just the two spots of blood Continued down a faint trail and jackpot---found the spot where he crashed.

Good blood trail from there on

Stepped outside the edge of the brush and dang near tripped over him-this is the exit wound

Entry wound--Rothaar Snuffer, 525-gr total arrow weight, Easton 2215 out of an Elite Hunter at around 235 fps.

Good night---back at the house around 10 o'clock.

Last edited by dustoffer; 07-31-2020, 09:25 AM.

Congrats!

Comment

Nice shot! Good tracking job too.

Comment

WTG----------good shooting...………………...

Comment

Good hit and holes, congrats!

Comment

Congrats.

Comment

Good job! And nice write up!

The fish are bite-n and there's hogs to be killed, gotta go!

Comment

Very cool and nice shot.

I need to start getting out to my place and start clearing some out also before season starts.

J

Comment

Congrats, nice hog!!!

Comment

Nice! Been a long time since I’ve heard of anyone using snuffers. I used them years ago and may still have some around here somewhere.

Comment

congrats

Comment

Nice!!

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaFlyerFan View Post
                          Nice! Been a long time since I’ve heard of anyone using snuffers. I used them years ago and may still have some around here somewhere.
                          Hey bud--if you find some and want to sell them, let me know---the originals though, not the current ones.

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
                            Hey bud--if you find some and want to sell them, let me know---the originals though, not the current ones.
                            I’d have to find them. I think they are originals...I bought them in the 1980s.

Comment

Nice shooting.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X