Fence line etiquette

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fence line etiquette

We have a hunter on our lease that has a deer feeder about 60 feet away from a property line / fence line. This feeder – well – several feeders over the years – has been in this location for over 6 years.

So today – said hunter found the attached note in the timer motor box, with the battery disconnected from the timer.

So yes we all at the lease are all bees nest hopping mad. The landowner was called and he of course is not happy. It has yet to be determined if he is upset with said hunter or trespassing neighbor. I suspect both.

What is the thought process for someone to cross fence lines, trespass and disable a feeder that is near but not on a fence line?

Does anyone recognize the paper form that the nextdoor.com like request is written on?

Yes we are all hopping mad but I want to think if all parties met at the same campfire and plenty of brews any disagreements could be easily and quickly settled.

I want to think if I was said donkey-hole in question I would have included my cellphone and email address in the note.

Here’s the suspense hook: There might be perp pics coming soon.

Disclosure: I myself had a feeder about 25 feet away from a fence line on the other side of the property - different neighbor/landowner. After reading several fence line etiquette posts here on TBH I eventually moved it away more than 100 yards away. But I’m a new guy still learning.

Also, for you TBH super-sleuths out there that can figure out the area that I’m talking about, just don’t. Please. I would like to keep the drama at a minimum.

update: we will be moving said feeder another 50 yards away from the fence line this weekend.
    Attached Files

Involving the landowner was probably not the best route. Most don’t want to get caught up in drama, and would rather the “drama” just go away (no longer a place for you and your clan to hunt). Just my thoughts.

Comment

Oh boy, here we go...

Comment

Your decision to move it or land owner request? Thanks

Comment

I’d move it closer and put a lock on the motor. I’ve never understood the whole don’t hunt on a fence line deal. Rifles go 100’s or yards weather you are 60 yards or 200 yards away.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
            Involving the landowner was probably not the best route.
            My thoughts exactly. But I'm not the manager.

Comment

You didn't have a camera looking at the feeder?

Comment

Move it closer about 10yards from fence and lock it up

Comment

As long a projectile is not crossing the fence, no law is broken.

Comment

Originally posted by coachmas View Post
                    Your decision to move it or land owner request? Thanks
                    It's complicated. I wasn't involved in the decision.

I can say, that this years lease agreement he specifically added that all feeders and blinds must be at least 100 feet away from property lines.

So if said hunter had moved the feeder after signing the latest lease agreement this probably would not be an issue.

I'm not looking to draw anyone offsides with the post. Just want level headed thoughts. Thank you

Comment

I wouldn’t move the feeder. You lease every square inch of that land. My theory is this. Feeders inside fence 30yds plus and stands on fence hunting that feeder shooting into the property you lease. Now if feeder is on the fence and your stand is yards away shooting towards property line then I have a problem. As long as the projectile doesn’t cross property line then leave it how it is.

Whoever left that note needs an arse whoopin and a visit from the local GW!

Move it closer or leave it where it’s at and set up multiple cams in the area.

Comment

Another thought is to post a reply on a fence post saying you're just trying to keep your deer off his property.

Comment

How about hang your own note that reads trespassers will be reported to the GW.

There is nothing wrong with a feeder 60 yds from a fence, there is nothing wrong with a blind on the fence looking onto your property. In some circumstances it might be a pud move but not a reason for someone to break the law

Comment

Originally posted by mikemorvan View Post
                            Oh boy, here we go...
                            I know... I don't want to stoke the hornets nest... would like some thoughts from the TBH think tank.

Yes I was mad at first... but I just want to know others thinking process.

Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by alien_scones View Post
                              It's complicated. I wasn't involved in the decision.

I can say, that this years lease agreement he specifically added that all feeders and blinds must be at least 100 feet away from property lines.

So if said hunter had moved the feeder after signing the latest lease agreement this probably would not be an issue.

I'm not looking to draw anyone offsides with the post. Just want level headed thoughts. Thank you
                              100'? Or, 100 yards?

Comment

Working...
                              X