Office Etiquette?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Office Etiquette?

The person in the cube next to me answers the desk phone of everyone around her. She's answered my phone a couple of times, thankfully only when my wife called. I use my work number for personal calls because I do not get cell phone reception and can't have a conversation on my cell. I may have important phone calls regarding health insurance for my son that I only want to be the one they ever speak with.

Today, the girl behind her has her phone ring, and she whips around and answers it. Not sure who is calling, but she explains that the girl who the person intended to call is in a meeting and can call back in a half hour.

I just don't get it. Our phones have voicemails, we're hanging around our desks... why does she feel the need to answer other people's phones? Is this a generational thing? I already talked to her and told her to never answer my phone again. She lied and said she only did it once.

Am I out of line here? Is this normal and part of what goes on at the office???

She’s out of line and someone needs to address it.

Comment

I forgot to mention, full disclosure, I did answer her phone once, after she had answered mine multiple times, but the scenario was she was on vacation for a week and the same person had called 8 times within an hour. That to me might warrant it... But seeing the caller ID is my wife and she picks up my phone when I am in the vacinity ain't right.

I have addressed it with her personally... Rest of the group I think should address it. Possibly manager.

Comment

I don't even want to answer my phone when it rings. Why on earth would someone want to answer someone else's

Comment

Yup uncalled for and needs to be addressed.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

I can see both sides of it. That being said all the phones in my office are mine.....I don't care who's desk they are on. Same with the computers They are business phones and no one should expect any sort of privacy regarding their personal use. 80% of callers do not leave voicemails. One missed call could result in thousands of dollars in lost revenue.

Comment

Have someone call you desk and pretend to be an officer and advise your coworker that your wife was just killed in a horrible accident or something and they are trying to get ahold of you. Then have fun with it.

Comment

Step out and call it yourself and tell her to stop.

Comment

She's just trying to be helpful! Grumpy! LMAO!

Comment

I’d gladly have someone answer my phone every time it rings. Pre-conversation - If she’s not pretending to be you or a co-worker I wouldn’t be upset. I’d be little perturbed if she answered after I asked her not to.

If the other people haven’t asked her not to answer, they have no right to complain. She’s just trying to help out.

Comment

Is she trying to be nice or does she have no boundaries and just likes to talk to people?

Either way politely asking her to stop answering your phone would be the best route I would imagine. If it continues then express your concerns to her regarding the scenario and run it up the chain if needed. For others phones I guess its up to them to complain or not.

Comment

You have a built-in secretary that you don't have to pay for. Congrats.

Comment

My coworker answers my phone if I’m not around. I don’t see a problem. It can be helpful.

Comment

We will answer each other’s phones if we are in the office together and one is busy with a employee or on the cell phone, but if I can see it’s a person call I will not answer it.

Most the time I just let it ring cause I don’t want to talk on the phone. I’m not answering someone’s phone just to do it though.

I like the idea of going outside and calling the number and when she answers telling her to cut that crap out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Turn your ringer off. If you are at your desk you’ll see the lights, if you’re not it will go to voicemail and no one else will know it’s ringing

Comment

Working...
                              X