Richland Creek WMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Richland Creek WMA

Well, I have finally been lucky enough to draw the archery hunt at RC. I am pumped. There is quite a bit of info on this WMA here but all of it seems to be from before the big flood and the closing of the hunting for a year or two.

They resumed the deer hunt last year if I'm not mistaken. Did anyone here do the hunt last year and if so, have things changed?

Feel free to PM me if you would like to keep this off the public forum.

Thanks!

I was drawn for RC also this year. I have been drawn at Gus a few times but this is a first for RC other than E-postcard waterfowl hunts. I don't think that any changes have been made to the hunt. You will be assigned to a certain compartment to hunt in. I am pretty stoked as well. There are some good deer at RC!

Comment

Bag limit is only 1 deer now, I guess because of the flood. Less deer is what I've heard, deer density there used to be better than Gus Engeling, now ???

Comment

It's been a while since I was out there. Both times I hunted, I had the compartment just north of the highway. From the main gate you go in on the north side, all the way back to the river. There is a couple of bridges on the highway and the deer use them to go back and forth to the forbidden zone.
        So if any of yall get this compartment, #16 I think, just keep that in mind!!!
        Man, there was a lot of deer in that compartment. Me and my group of 2 others killed 5 does on that hunt.

Comment

Drawn this year for RC. Hunted the north side last time e I was drawn. Hunted near Pea Patch Lake. Killed 2 doe. Didn't see a shooter buck that hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
            It's been a while since I was out there. Both times I hunted, I had the compartment just north of the highway. From the main gate you go in on the north side, all the way back to the river. There is a couple of bridges on the highway and the deer use them to go back and forth to the forbidden zone.
            So if any of yall get this compartment, #16 I think, just keep that in mind!!!
            Man, there was a lot of deer in that compartment. Me and my group of 2 others killed 5 does on that hunt.
            The old 18, 19 and 21 are completely gone, under water now, its all been flooded for wetlands, alot of the north unit has been. Most of the north units left are smaller than they were and some have been re-numbered.

Comment

Wow!!! I knew back then they were working on some wetlands for waterfowl. I hunted #20 or #21, can't remember, with my son on a youth hunt. We saw A LOT of deer, but none were ever in his range.
              Never been on any of the south units, but seen some good deer come from out of some of them.

Comment

20 was the one along the trinity with pea patch lake in it, its now split in half and listed as 18 and 19. 21 was kinda in the middle and had private land on the north side, its gone.

Comment

nice we got gus engeling wma 10/30-11/3

Comment

Any word on the flooding down at richland. Phones been busy. I've tried calling..

Comment

Got drawn for epostcard waterfowl at RC WMA. Was wondering if you clue me in on how it wors. This will be my first time.

Thanks ,

HH

Comment

Originally posted by CARLOCK View Post
                        Any word on the flooding down at richland. Phones been busy. I've tried calling..
                        Richland is about 55 miles south of where the trinity goes under IH20, but at 20 it is mega out of the banks.

Comment

Originally posted by CARLOCK View Post
                          water, earth science, hydrology, hydrologic, data, streamflow, stream, river, lake, flood, drought, quality, basin, watershed, environment, groundwater, groundwater

try this link. median discharge is 951, current is now at 21K. it's flowing pretty darn good.

I didn't get selected for archery. hoping for waterfowl drawing this year.

Good luck gents!

Comment

Weather Underground provides local & long-range weather forecasts, weather reports, maps & tropical weather conditions for locations worldwide

According to these warnings, it looks like most of the flooding is downstream. Man I hope this hunt doesn't get canceled. I've really been looking forward to it.
                            Last edited by Palehorse; 10-16-2018, 12:26 PM.

Comment

I would bet the trinity comes out at RCWMA. What dates are the hunts? I would keep calling and see what they do.

Comment

Working...
                              X