A weekend of firsts!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A weekend of firsts!!!

After wrestling practice last Friday my Dad, Uncle and I headed up to our place in near junction, in Kimble County. I had already taken a Doe opening weekend, and was now focused on shooting one of the elusive free range Axis Deer that frequently traveled through our property. I thought that the deer would be moving this weekend because of the cold front, so I was anticipating seeing lots of deer.

Once we arrived I began to unpack all my cloths and equipment that I would need for the following morning, then it was time for some much needed sleep. The next morning I jumped out of bed at 4:30, and got dressed and was headed off to my tripod stand. After settling into the blind I began to take a little nap before shooting light. Just as I was about to fall asleep I was startled by the painful sound of an Axis Doe that had winded me. This Doe kept barking at me for over ten minutes, and eventually was joined by the familiar sound of a whitetail snorting at me. After hearing this I didn’t feel real confident with the rest of the mornings hunt.

As the sun began to rise I began to see some movement at the edges of the field, two Axis Doe's began to work there way towards my stand. Now before I go any further in the story I must warn everyone that my biggest weakness is the cold, and I get the shivers real easy and this mixed with excitement of seeing Deer is a terrible combination. As the Deer came closer I began to get, and began to shake uncontrollably. As the deer came closer it just got worse, there was nothing that I could do to control myself. Eventually the Deer noticed the shaking tripod stand, and bolted for the tree line. After waiting another hour I headed back to the cabin.

Later that evening I returned to my stand and settled in. I felt much more confident know that it was well into the mid 70's and the cold wasn’t an issue. Around 6:00 a group of whitetail came into the feeder and I decided that I was going to take the spike out of the group. I drew my bow and released the arrow; to my disappointment the arrow hit him high wounded him. He was bleeding really well and wasn't moving very fast. I knocked another arrow and sunk another arrow in him this time I made a good shot and he expired 30 yards from my stand. While I was giving him some time to settle down, this monster Axis Buck came strait into my feeder. Once he presented me with a broadside shot I drew my bow and let my third arrow fly. This time I smoked, him I double lunged him. He barely went 40 yards before falling down and dying. This was the First time I had shot an animal with horns, the first time I had shot two deer in one day, and the first Axis I had ever taken. It was a perfect end to the evening. It feels good when all that time in the blind pays off.

I apologize for the long boring post, it's my first attempt at a story and posting pics.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by THEDUDE; 10-23-2006, 08:05 PM. Reason: i messed up on indentions

Man alive, what an evening. Well done finishing the spike off and WALLA WHAT AN AXIS!~

You're not the only one that shivers and shakes. I start shivering uncontrollably in 60 degree weather with the right buck in front of me.

Comment

It only takes a few doe and 60 degree weather to get me shaken cattleman, but I've only been Deer hunting two years. Hopefully with time I'll calm down.

Comment

congrats on the axis and spike

Comment

What a hunt! Congratulations, very well done.

Comment

Congrats. That's an awesome axis!

I nominate this for a double VE

Comment

Long boring post?? are you kidding me, that was an awesome recount!

Congrats on the double!

I agree with your double shot on the spike, as many arrows as it takes IMHO.

Comment

Dude I start shaking when I see anything I know I can shoot! If it isn't deer season and I am hog hunting and deer come in I don't shake but once it's deer season and they come in I start shaking like crazy, Espcially when it's cold. Good shootin!!!!

Comment

Good job. Good story to go along with a great axis.

Congrats.

Jay

Comment

That is a great hunt. Congrats on the spike and a good looking axis

Comment

Wow,Very Nice Axis and spike.Congrads on the bowkills!

Comment

Two trophies in the same evening - OUTSTANDING! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Way to go, El Duderino, if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

"The Dude abides. I don't know about you but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' 'er easy for all us sinners. Shoosh. I sure hope he makes the finals."

Comment

Heck of a hunt and congratulations! Memories for a lifetime for you, Dad and Uncle. Your carrying the torch well.

Comment

Nice Axis, and not bad 11 point cull

Comment

Working...
                              X