Matching draw weight to arrow weight.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matching draw weight to arrow weight.

Getting set up to build the arrows for my 35lb and 45lb limbs and I remember being told by one of you here (probably Bisch, Chunky or SwampRabbit) that a good average of grains to lbs to start with is 10:1. Meaning a 35lb set of limbs should work well with a 350g arrow and a 45lb set with a 450g.

Building a set of arrows for the 35lb set that comes in at 373g. Hoping to match that ratio above with a set for my 45lb limbs that comes in at 477g. I know that +/-4g isn't going to make a difference switching back and forth. My question is on the 373g arrow I can't find a broadhead that matches the target tip. My options are the 85g target tip and 100g broadhead for hunting or the 105g target tip and same 100g broadhead. Will putting the arrow at 393g vs 373g with the heavier target tip make the transition from 35lb set to 45lb set that much more difficult or am I splitting hairs here?

I'm splitting hairs aren't I.....

Thanks again folks.

Richard.

Yep

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Your making this much harder than it needs to be .

Comment

One word comes to mind... "Ballpark."

You just need to get everything inside the ballpark. Aim to get yourself into the 10-12 gpp (grains per pound) and go from there. Remember, you haven't fine tuned yet, so you have no clue what your final gpp will be. I'll calculate for around 11 gpp and accept anything between 10-12. As long as the arrow flies good, I'm happy. I can do some tweaking from there if it is too close to 12 or over. I ended up at 11.25. I am not good enough to tell the difference between 10 grains. I can however tell the difference in 40 grains (that is enough to noticeably affect the dynamic spine and left/right impact.)

Certainly one of us made the comment that if you keep the gpp's the same, your arrow flight (vertical hit at various distances) will be roughly the same so you can switch between the two without having to adjust your point of aim as much. But, at the end of the day, adjusting doesn't take as long as you might think, and eventually once you have your form down, you aren't going to be shooting the light weight limbs much, except to work on form on occasion (not aim.)

Comment

I agree.

No need to make it so difficult.

8gpp-12gpp will cover it.

Comment

Now if you were attempting to load rifle ammo for a 2000 yard shot, I'd say you were at the right level of detail, but for a trad bow, 8 to 12 gr per pound of draw weight is just fine; if you're feeling more engineer-like than that, make it 9 to 11.

Comment

Working...
            X