Trouble shooting trad with glasses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trouble shooting trad with glasses

I have noticed sometimes when I shoot with my glasses on it somehow really messes up my shooting. Not sure if they slide down my nose when Im sweaty or what exactly it is. My whole sight picture is off but I cant even explain exactly what my sight picture looks like. Its just off. Today I took the glasses off and even though my vision without them is very bad, my shooting improved. Has anyone else has the same experience?

-Chase

The problem I have with glasses is that I see the frame where it goes across my nose, and that just messes up the whole sight picture!

Bisch

Comment

Try single vision glasses with big lenses. Like shooting glasses.

Comment

As a glasses wearer I have found I have to square my face up to the target so I am looking through the middle of the lenses. A lot of right handed shooters position their head to the right of the target and just move their eyes left. If I do that I am looking through the edge of my lenses which distorts everything

Comment

I think thats the problem Im having Bisch. Sometimes I see two arrows. One through the lense and one with peripheral vision just to the side of the lense.

Comment

Jerp, thats what I do. Move my eyes left and look through the edge of my lense. Do you open your stance more or just swivel your head more? It seems like it would feel awkward.

Comment

I think it is mostly turning my head farther left

Comment

I've been shooting trad with glasses for many years. Like Jerp I square my face with the target so I'm looking through the center of the lens. I like to shoot with a slightly open stance.

Comment

Maybe think about contact lenses. I have bi-focal contacts; they work great near and far.

Comment

I've found single vision glasses to be better than progressive lenses for shooting - if you do anything that jostles the progressive lenses, your sight picture is fubar almost instantly. I often take mine off, especially in humid weather when the lenses are fogging. The downside is you pretty much have to wait to shoot until somebody makes a good shot so their fletching marks where you want to hit.

Btw, if any of you have found an anti-fogging compound that actually works, please let the rest of us know. Thanks.

Comment

I don't wear glasses. I have perfect eyes. Well, each eye is perfect on it's own

But I have tried sunglasses, and I can't do it for the same reason the above guys mention. The alignment is just too close to the corner and most lenses are curved so it tends to distort a little when not looking square through the center of the lens.

Comment

I wear tri-focals and only wear the lined ones. The progressive lenses have distortion in the corners. I look through the upper inside of the right eye (only have one good eye).
                        As long as the lenses are good so am I.

Comment

Working...
                        X