A Day In Africa (story)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Day In Africa (story)

I was once asked to write a story that was not about the harvest of an animal, but more about the spirit of the hunt. This is what I came up with. I am add some pics from that trip, but not necessarily from the day in question.

Hope you enjoy it.

Posted in a couple of parts.

A Day in Africa

Everyday was a joy and an adventure during my trip to Africa. Looking back now after a few months have passed I think my first day in Zimbabwe is one that stands out.

I had just completed two fantastic weeks at Howard Knott’s place, Greater Kuduland Safaries. The trip was so good and the people so nice that I felt like all of my expectations had already been met. It crossed my mind that I should be going home instead of starting another safari.

When I planed my trip I wanted to see and do as much as possible. My reasoning was that if I was already spending two thousand dollars on airfare why not see at least two countries, a couple of camps, and hunt as many different species as possible. I didn’t know if I would ever get back so I wanted to get the maximum experience possible.

That all sounded good in theory, but after being gone for over two weeks, having already had a great time and taken a good number of great animals, and the post hunt let down, I was uncertain about the wisdom of my scheduled trip to Peter Johnston’s Cawston Ranch in Zimbabwe. In truth, if I could have come home at that point and taken the Zimbabwe hunt later, I would have.

After some warm goodbyes and an uneventful plane ride I found myself in the Zimbabwe Airport. It was small, hot, crowded, primitive, and chaotic, no doubt about being in Africa. I got in the customs line and waited. These African civil servants are not really all that customer oriented and the wait was long (I guess some things really are universal). When I finally got to the front they informed me in very broken English that I was in the wrong line and that I needed to go stand in the other long line to pay the special tax, which only Americans and Australians have to pay. This is the type of thing that can really upset you if you let it. I didn’t mind the few extra dollars, it was more the feeling of being taken advantage of. I always try very hard to not let the “things” that go wrong on every trip spoil my attitude or enjoyment. I was last in that line, and the wait was as long as expected. When I finally got to the window, they took my money and then told me I was missing some papers. I just stood there looking stupid, which I find I have a talent for. The agent behind the window didn’t say anything else so I just walked back over to my bags, not knowing what else to do. By this time everyone else had left and the airport was pretty vacant so the customs agents, who now had nothing else to do, decided it would be good fun to make me open all my bags and cases. This was no easy feat because I had gone to great lengths to secure my stuff. When my gear and underwear was finally evenly spread across the terminal floor, they decided that me and my traditional archery equipment were pretty unimpressive and let me go. It was then that I saw a man come jogging in. He asked if I was a bowhunter. I said yes. Then he asked if I was Mark Johnson and I said yes. He introduced himself as Peter. Then he asked me where my bow case was. I pointed to the long tube which held my two longbows. He got this real strange look on his face. He said he thought that was a fishing rod case. I said no, I shoot a longbow. Next came the awkward silence while he digested this disturbing bit of information. Nothing else was said, but I could tell he had doubts on how my hunt was going to go. I found out later that they had seen almost no traditional bowhunters. The only one they could remember was a Spaniard who dressed like Robin Hood, tights, feathered cap, and all. Over the course of a two week safari “Senior Robin” had only wounded a warthog and killed nothing. It is not uncommon for the average hunter to kill an animal a day in Africa. Spanish Robin Hood and not been a very good representive for traditional archery.

On the way to the ranch we made the normal hunting small talk. He talked about not pressuring me to shoot if I were not comfortable with the shot and told me that if I didn’t harvest a lot of animals, we would still have a great hunt. I agreed with all of this but felt like he was still worried about my equipment and skills and was laying the ground work for me to save face later when I didn’t kill anything. We stopped at a local store which was nice chance to see a little of the culture.

When we pulled up and stopped at a red light. I heard a female voice yell “Hey”. I looked, and in the vehicle beside us was an attractive woman. I leaned out and she said “I will see you tonight, okay?” I looked at Peter and he was laughing. I said that never happens at home. He explained that she was the wife of one of the other professional hunters and we would all be eating together every night.

We arrived at the ranch and it was beautiful. The area around camp was like a tropical garden bathed in the warm glow of the afternoon sun. I felt good and the feel of the camp start lifting my spirits. I took a short tour and got my bags into my cabin. All my accommodations while in Africa were first rate. It was a couple of hours until dark and the other hunters were out at the blinds. Peter asked if I would like to drive around a little and see some of the ranch. I said of course. He said get your bow you never know. Man, I liked that attitude. I was not dressed for hunting. I was still wearing shorts and tee-shirt from my plane trip, I had no hat, face mask, gloves or anything, but what the heck. All you really need to hunt is a bow, an arrow, and desire.
    Attached Files

The pics are my tent, our truck, and my PH Peter.

Comment

We drove down by the river when Peter spotted a very nice Kudu bull on the other side of the river. He asked me if I wanted to try to stalk him. I had shot a Kudu in South Africa and had not planned on shooting another one, but one shot stalking would be great. How could you turn down such an opportunity to try? I dropped into the river which was mostly sand and gravel, but had a trickle of water and a few pools. The river bed was about fifteen feet deep and twenty to thirty yards across. Big trees shaded the whole area like a tunnel. I crossed and moved along using the steep bank for cover until I thought I would be close to where the Kudu was bedded. I climbed the steep bank, checked the wind, and slid over the edge on my stomach. I lay there for a few minutes to let things settle and to see if I could hear anything. I then pushed up a little with my arms until I could see over the grass. There he was about sixty yards away, farther down the bank and close to the edge. I could just see the tops of those beautiful spiral horns. Like most rivers, it had good cover growing all along the banks. I started crawling as flat as possible and immediately learned two things. I should have worn long pants because almost everything on the ground was sharp, and everything that was not sharp was some kind of poop. Still nothing to discourage the determined bowhunter and I slid along.

It also occurred to me as I slid along the ground with zero visibility, that I might not be the only predator in this tall grass, not to mention the things like Black Mambas and Cobras. Still it was a great feeling just to be in Africa, I crawled on and took my chances with unseen beasties. I felt very alive on that stalk.

I got to a place with a thick clump of grass that I could raise up behind and decided to check on my quarry. He was still bedded in the same place. I watched him for a couple of minutes. His majestic horns were slowly turning from side to side. He was tall and very wide. I judged him in the mid 50’s for those who care about such things. I decided that given the right shot I would take him and worry about the trophy fee later. If it meant giving up something else, so be it. You must take your opportunities when they come along. Besides this place takes credit cards for trophy fees and I have acquired several for just such an emergency.

I was thirty five yards away but he was still mostly hidden. I planed the next ten yards and picked the location I would take the shot from. I crawled another couple of yards and heard a noise from my right. Much less than ten yards to my right a young Kudu bull stood up. I think he was just stretching but he might have used that animal sixth sense to know something was wrong. In any case, I was right under the young kudu’s nose and the river side exploded. Many animals including Impala and Waterbuck were within sight and all took off at the young bull’s alarm bark. I had a big smile. I had snuck inside of thirty yards to a trophy bull and less than ten from another. Even without a shot it was a great experience. In my opinion it was bowhunting at its best.
      Attached Files

Comment

Pics are Kudu, one type of blind, and Peter on a day with the temp got down near 50...When I remarked about his behavior, he replied, "We do hot really well, but we don't do cold at ALL!"

Comment

When I got back to the truck and I told them how close I had gotten but not taken a shot, I think I further eroded Peter and the tracker’s confidence in my ability. That did not bother me, I had gotten what I came for. I think they were a little more confused by my enjoyment of a close call. A short while later we came upon a herd of impala. I did not see any trophy rams. Peter told me “Shoot anything, I will get it discounted!” This made me laugh. He was so desperate to get me some kind of success. I didn’t shoot at the impala and our hunt continued.

We came to a large clearing with a water hole in the center. It was getting dark fast. There were several animals at the water. One was a bushbuck. Peter said that taking a bushbuck was a great accomplishment and that I should try to sneak him. I asked Peter if he was a trophy and he said he couldn’t tell but I should be able to judge him when I got close. Having never seen or judged a bushbuck, I thought that unlikely. I sized up the situation and turned to Peter and asked, so you want me to belly crawl over a hundred yards, in the complete open on bare ground, to an animal that has already seen me, and that may not even be a trophy, and do it in the ten minutes left before it is to dark, to shoot if I judge him worthy. He looked at me and smiled and said the bushbuck may tolerate it and besides what have you got to lose? So I laughed softly and took off. I was at about half way when the bushbuck melted back into the bush and I judged it to dark to continue anyway. I had the feeling I had been “had” and looked back expecting to see him doubled over laughing at me crawling fifty yards on an impossible stalk, but he wasn’t. He was serious and I decided I liked this guy a lot. He wasn’t afraid of challenge or trying new things and I was glad to be in Zimbabwe and hunting again. I did not take an animal that day but recharged my batteries, and will never forget it.

It normally wouldn’t overly bother me what the people thought of me and my equipment, but I had the feeling that they were measuring all traditional bowhunters by what I did. I wanted to hunt hard, ethically, and take advantage of the opportunities when they came. I happy to report that I had an incredible streak of good fortune over the next couple of weeks, taking Sable, Tsessebe, Waterbuck, Bushbuck, Warthog, and Impala trophies as well as a number of meat and bait animals. In the end I felt I represented well the community I have so much respect for, and the good folks I hunted with know now effective traditional tackle can be.
          Attached Files

Comment

Pics are a Sable (I went to Zimbabwe to get a Sable, they were on the top of my A-list), Trackers, and a sunset at a waterhole.

Later gators.

Mark

Comment

very fun read. thanks for sharing.

Comment

Another good write-up Mark.

Comment

Enjoyed the read

Comment

Awesome story...thanks for taking us along.

Comment

Bisch

Comment

Great write up!

Comment

Particularly nice account of the kudu stalk. Really felt the sensations of grass and ground and thoughts of lions and mambas right along with you. And, what a feat to crawl to within 10 yards of the young bull! Good stuff!

Comment

Great read

Comment

Good stuff!
                              Hunting Videos & Flickr Pix

Comment

Working...
                              X