Made my own string wax from beeswax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Made my own string wax from beeswax

I keep bees and had a mess of comb leftover from harvest and hive maintenance. Bob Sarrell inspired me when he bust out a disc of beeswax and laid some on my bow. Its definitely not as soft as paraffin. I tried finger strokin with some effect, but I think some scrap leather might be necessary.
    Last edited by Briar Friar; 01-26-2021, 09:14 AM.

Honey comb and brood comb in pot

Comment

Once melted, strained, cooled, and rebroken for second melting and straining. Made double boiler from small metal bowl.

Comment

That's neat! Would never had thought about it like that

Comment

I've never done it, but read that you can mix bees wax and the wax from a toilet ring to make a very good string wax.

Comment

I have done what Bisch mentioned. Take 1 pound of beeswax and one toilet wax ring, melt them together and you'll have the best string wax, especially for making strings, that I've ever used. Of course in those quantities you'll probably have a lifetime supply. You can put it in small Dixie cups, cupcake pan liners, or do what I did. I got a bunch of empty deodorant containers - the white plastic ones with the screw up bottoms on them, and filled those. When they harden you can store them, give to friends or whatever strikes your fancy. When you're making a string just crank it up a little like you would deodorant and run the sting material through it.

Comment

Interesting. Wife does these kinds of things (makes chapstick, etc) and asked her to make some dubbing wax (used in fly tying). I bet she could whip some of this up to.

But what the hell is toilet ring wax!?!? Sounds gross

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                Interesting. Wife does these kinds of things (makes chapstick, etc) and asked her to make some dubbing wax (used in fly tying). I bet she could whip some of this up to.

But what the hell is toilet ring wax!?!? Sounds gross
                When you install a toilet, there is a wax ring that goes in between the toilet and the drain pipe at floor level. It acts as a sealer/gasket so the toilet won't leak.\

Sorry, but the page you are looking for wasn't found. Please try navigating to the page again, searching our site, or going to our homepage. Go Back Home

You computer guys sure are sheltered!!!

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                  When you install a toilet, there is a wax ring that goes in between the toilet and the drain pipe at floor level. It acts as a sealer/gasket so the toilet won't leak.\

Sorry, but the page you are looking for wasn't found. Please try navigating to the page again, searching our site, or going to our homepage. Go Back Home

You computer guys sure are sheltered!!!

Bisch
                  I have never had to install a new toilet. Faucets, sinks, and plunger/flappers and seats, but never the entire throne. So I have dealt with thread tape and plumbers putty, but not toilet wax

Comment

By the one without the wax,

Comment

that should be the one without the rubber ring; i am 77 years old that is my first mistake;

Comment

Just use the old wax ring. Your just gonna chunk it anyway. You could also make chapstick out of it and give it away to friends and family around the holidays....

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                          I've never done it, but read that you can mix bees wax and the wax from a toilet ring to make a very good string wax.
                          You are correct. we mix 50% wax bowl ring with 50% bees wax.

Comment

Originally posted by helim83 View Post
                            Just use the old wax ring. Your just gonna chunk it anyway. You could also make chapstick out of it and give it away to friends and family around the holidays....
                            That's funny, and would substantially cut down on the number of holiday gifts you have to buy next year.

Comment

I've melted beeswax with a little Montana Pitch Blend oil for bowstrings

Comment

Working...
                              X