Rookie question about nock setting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rookie question about nock setting

Ok I have a new string and had to twist it up some due to strech.

1 where do you start on setting nock point?
    2 Will twisting the string change it
    3 if so what will be the symtoms of high nock low nock

Thanks Steve

If its that Sarrels twist it up a bit higher braceheight than you want and when it settles in good check it and set it where ya like it. Bob uses TS 1 string and it shouldnt stretch much

Comment

I made a string for it from BCY 50

Comment

1. I generally start at 3/8 above center and adjust from there.
        2. Most times it doesnt change it, but I always check.
        3. A high NP I generally get porposing in my arrow flight otherwise Ive been shooting the same bow for so long that I can tell with a couple of arrows if the NP is off.

Comment

Steve; your going to need it about 1/2" to 5/8" because you shoot 3 under. I've had some bows that had to be 3/4" to get them to shoot well, so you will just have to play with it some.

Comment

How do you know when you have the correct nocking point? Paper tuning? I know it works with a compound, but how about with a recurve?

Comment

You may want to print/save the info on these two links about bow tuning...good stuff.

Last edited by tinman; 10-30-2008, 07:58 PM.

Comment

My nock point is set 5/8" above square. My bow string is Dyna97 and I shoot split finger; one over, two under.

Comment

Good stuff. I just started shooting traditional. Thanks for the replys.

Comment

Tidbit: You may get what looks like a high nock result from what is actually a low nock. The arrow will actually bounce off of the back of the shelf and kick the nock end of the arrow upward.

Comment

Sorry I can't help. I always go by sight. Not a good practice, but I keep doing it like the bullheaded hillbilly I am....

If your nock point is off it'll also show in the wear on your shelf material.

Comment

What I thought might be a nock issue was really a Tab issue.
                        Steve

Comment

Working...
                        X