Grilled duck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grilled duck

I got this recipe from a guy at a hunt I went on years ago. Had never had duck before and it was awesome.

duck breast
    garlic salt
    pepper
    worcestershire sauce
    onion
    bell pepper
    bacon
    Jalapeno or mushroom if desired.
    toothpicks

Slice each duck breast into 3 or 4 pieces (top to bottom).
    Soak meat in worcestershire sauce while cutting up other ingredients.
    cut onion, bellepper,(jalapeno and mushroom if you like) into wide slices.
    Pull meat out and season with garlic salt, pepper.
    lay a slice of onion and bellpepper (jalapeno,mushroom) on meat and wrap with bacon.
    use toothpicks to hold together. Throw on grill and I usually cook til bacon is done
    Last edited by switchback; 01-15-2007, 05:05 PM.

If you can make a duck taste good, you must have a good recipe.

Comment

I have never been able to make a duck taste even barely eatable. I quit killing them because of that

Comment

Shoot them and send them to me.

Comment

I make the same recipe, it's awesome and not ducky.

First I soak the breasts in whole mike over night, which turns bright pink taking the blook out of the meat.

Then I soak them in Italien salad dressing for a full day to tenderize the meat and kill the liver taste.

See the duck gumbo recipe I posted for something with no duck taste at all. Cut 'em!

Comment

sounds good anyway

Comment

You people are missing out if you don't eat duck.....I usually cook duck no seasoning to about medium, medium rare. The ducks now a days taste like chicken....they put something in the water the ducks you guys killed several years ago must be russian or something like that.....with the new imigration laws being enforced those ducks are no longer allowed in the US. This leaves room fro the ducks from north america and canada to make it down this far.

Comment

the key to duck is marinating it in Italian dressing, salt water, milk or OJ for about 24hrs. All that stuff draws out the blood so that liver taste goes away.

I have some soaking right now in the fridge, gonna make some jerky with it Saturday. Soaked in OJ over night last night, dumped that out and it is now soaking in salt water. Tonight the marinade for the jerky will get mixed up and it will soak in that for about a day and half.......dang good stuff!!

Comment

All wild duck I've eaten in the western flyway has tasted like liver if it was not marinaded prior to cooking. Pintail, mallard, teal, widgeon, gadwall. I'm still trying to suck-up the courage to try some spoonie breasts in the freezer (smiling mallards). I can't get myself to clean a coot, nevertheless eat one.

Comment

spoonie? yeah you better throw that away or marinate it for about 30 days

Comment

man there aint nothin wrong with a seafood platta[spoonies]duck jerky is always a hit at my house its," all in the sauce "

Comment

Instead of the worchester sauce use Allegro's marinade. And only do it for about 4-6 hours. You have to cook duck to medium rare, or it becomes too dry. Also try using cream cheese in the mix before you put the bacon in. The meat is best suited if you filet it into small thin strips. You should be able to get 4-6 pieces out of each side of the breast depending on how big the duck is. I have had this even with spoonies (smallards), and even had a merganzer cooked that way once, and it wasn't bad either. It also depends on what your ducks are eating. If you shoot them over rice, they aren't near as gamey as a duck shot on the coast.

Comment

The only thing worse than duck is goose. I ahve tried it every way imaginable and just cannot eat it, even after entirely too many cold soldiers.

My duck hunting buddy from NE loves it which is handy since I give him all my duck meat!!

I wished someone would try this and see if they like it so I can try it!

Comment

Qzilla, I did some goose the same way I did the duck and it was good too. Since your in Ft.Worth, If you get some ducks, then I'll gladly cook them up for you to try.

Txag96, that's what I do with the strips. Make them about an inch thick.

I"ve never been duck hunting only given the meat of both. If anyone has an open spot come duck season I'm needing to learn.
                            Last edited by switchback; 05-09-2007, 06:01 PM.

Comment

everyone should quit tring to cook and hunt ducks. leave them alone!!! leave them all for me!!!!!!! milk or coke will work on the ducky flavor. I love um'!! I love the hell out of some spoonies!!! I still have a few bootlips from last year.

Comment

Working...
                              X