Apple fights order to unlock San Bernadino shooters IPhone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apple fights order to unlock San Bernadino shooters IPhone

It will be interesting to see where people stand on this issue.

Apple is opposing a court order to unlock the iPhone used by one of the San Bernardino shooters, accusing the federal government of an "overreach."

Under these circumstances, I believe Apple is in the wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Bily Lovec View Post
      Under these circumstances, I believe Apple is in the wrong.
      I agree, but I also see how they can say that they won't help unlock the phone.

BUT, in this case, we're dealing with TERRORISTS, and I think it is the duty of every red blooded American to do whatever they can to put an end to terroristic acts.

Comment

I don't understand the reach Apple is trying to make here by saying it would violate the privacy of tens of millions of people. The order says to unlock the phone of the shooters. Im glad in America a rich corporation can tell a US Judge no. What a joke, unlock the phone or go to jail *******.

Comment

It's not just unlock a password type "unlock". Read the article. I hope Apple stands by their guns, and the SCOTUS sides with Apple. This could go well beyond the NSA gathering debacle.

Comment

I read the article and I'm really torn on how I feel. I understand their desire to not "open that door because it can't be closed" and also the need of the investigators to know everything possible about these terrorists, their activities, their contacts, their cohorts. I'm leaning towards Apple should have helped them covertly without this thing being publicized and putting the company in a position to appear weak on customer privacy.

Comment

In Apple's defense (not likely you'll hear me say those words often), what the fed actually wants is for Apple to create an new IOS with backdoors, so they could have unfettered access to ALL (everyone's) device when/if they deemed necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                I read the article and I'm really torn on how I feel. I understand their desire to not "open that door because it can't be closed" and also the need of the investigators to know everything possible about these terrorists, their activities, their contacts, their cohorts. I'm leaning towards Apple should have helped them covertly without this thing being publicized and putting the company in a position to appear weak on customer privacy.
                I agree, but Apple has helped in every way, except for attempting to "create a backdoor" into their security systems. Obviously, their security systems extend way beyond just IPhones. If Apple sees this as government overreach, then I certainly can't imagine that they don't know what they are talking about. There is already so much private info given to the government by phone companies, I believe Apple understands how big of a slippery slope this would create, and I don't like slippery slopes.

You know, that whole sacrificing freedom for a little bit of safety thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
                  It's not just unlock a password type "unlock". Read the article. I hope Apple stands by their guns, and the SCOTUS sides with Apple. This could go well beyond the NSA gathering debacle.
                  Im just saying they should unlock the phone and hand it back. I don't agree with them handing over the programming or whatever it is so they can unlock all phones because we know they will do so without warrants under the Patriot Act for whatever reasons they seem fit. I bet if Obama went to Tim Cook and Mark Zuckerburg and asked them to turn over all the personal information of "right wingers" you wouldn't hear anything but every phone and facebook page they wanted being unlocked.

Comment

Originally posted by JFISHER View Post
                    In Apple's defense (not likely you'll hear me say those words often), what the fed actually wants is for Apple to create an new IOS with backdoors, so they could have unfettered access to ALL (everyone's) device when/if they deemed necessary.
                    If this is factual...then I stand with Apple

Comment

True. It would be just another one of our freedoms lost. Does anyone think that the current gubmint would not abuse this?
                      I too would like to know what is on a terrorist's phone records but at the same time we can't afford to lose any more freedoms.

Comment

I agree, but Apple has helped in every way, except for attempting to "create a backdoor" into their security systems. Obviously, their security systems extend way beyond just IPhones. If Apple sees this as government overreach, then I certainly can't imagine that they don't know what they are talking about. There is already so much private info given to the government by phone companies, I believe Apple understands how big of a slippery slope this would create, and I don't like slippery slopes.

This exactly. The feds have been pushing for the "backdoor" since before the San Bernadino attack and were denied. They are using the terrorists cellphone as a way in.

Comment

I agree with this. This would be scary. Cases like this need to be case by case. Apple needs to unlock the phone and hand it back.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                            True. It would be just another one of our freedoms lost. Does anyone think that the current gubmint would not abuse this?
                            I too would like to know what is on a terrorist's phone records but at the same time we can't afford to lose any more freedoms.
                            On the other hand, I have to think that if this was Cliven Bundy or Dylan Root's cell phone... they wouldn't even have to ask.

Comment

I tend to agree. Very hard to put the genie back in the bottle once it's out...

There is already so much private info given to the government by phone companies, I believe Apple understands how big of a slippery slope this would create, and I don't like slippery slopes.

Very slippery slope.

I agree with you on the sacrificing of freedom for safety sake.

Comment

Working...
                              X