Can I join this group?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I join this group?

Well, I went down to Jacksonville yesterday and had a nice LOOONG conversation with Rob at Bob Lee Archery. He was very helpful and gave me a lot of very good advice about shooting. After looking at his offerings, I feel confident that his bows are top of the line. I was considering buying the used Lee Hunter from Diamond, but I felt bad about having him show me so much and take so much of his time to help me, then turn around and buy from someone else. Plus Diamond's Lee is a #58 bow and I feel I'd be more confident with a #50, at least for now.

So, I have ordered a Bob Lee Takedown Hunter with #50 limbs and it should be ready by later this week. He is selling them for $499 which I think is very reasonable for what I am getting.

Now, some questions for you experts. Considering that this will be a #50 lb bow at 28", what type of arrows should I use? He recommends some Beman 500 carbon arrows, but they are nearly $150 for a dozen!!! Any other recommendations? I think I am going to go ahead and get his custom quiver for the bow. Any recommendations on a really nice finger-tab glove? Also, what about wrist guards?

When we went out for a shoot, he recommended shooting with three fingers below the arrow. I was shooting WAAAY high like that. He then had me shoot with the fingers split around the arrow (one on top two below) and I was dead on. he said that was strange since shooting split fingers usually makes you shoot higher, not lower. But, whatever works...

Todd

I would try the Carbon Express 150 in the Heritage series.
    I think they run about $90 a doz. They are a great shaft with outstanding durability. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Comment

I am shooting 4560 whitetails(30.00 1/2 dz) which is a cx arrow for gander mt. I can also shoot 3555 GT (45.00 1/2 dz I think) just adj. point wts.

I shoot 51#

kirk

Comment

I also shoot full length GT 3555. I love em. They were 36.00 1/2 doz. Good luck with the new toy!

Comment

on arrows
          carbons I use the easton excels 400 29" 125 gr tip. I use these shooting 3D's and they fly and work great for me.
          alums if I were you I would start with 2016's
          wood 55-60 spine. all these are are starting points.
          I use a cordura tab from Alaska Bowhunting supply.
          I like a thin tab but some like thick
          I dont use an arm guard, but lots of people do.
          I know you need starting points but when you get into it, it's finding out what works for YOU.
          others will be along and give more and better advice than i can. anyways good luck and welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by MountainMan View Post
            I also shoot full length GT 3555. I love em. They were 36.00 1/2 doz. Good luck with the new toy!
            I also shoot GT 3555's. They shoot well for my Grandson out of his 50# recurve and they also fly like arts from my 62 pound recurve and a 58# longbow. They are a tad cheaper than the others, but the quality is great.

A good glove can be bought from 3-Rivers. I shoot with the Alaskan Bowhunter glove and love it.

Welcome to the ranks of the traditionally insane! Let us know when your new bow gets there!

Comment

I'd say go with a 2016 aluminum cut to 29" with a 125gn head. Bang 'em around a bit to get settled in to a consistant form, then look at your options.

Comment

I third the 2016's. If the 125 gr. head has it a little stiff you can go up in point weight. Later on down the line you can try some woods maybe. I like woods but they are certainly not for every body.

Comment

Honestly I don't think I'll go for the wood arrows. I would be happy if I can find some good carbon arrows and a nice matching broadhead with good penetration.

Todd

Comment

Todd
                    Go a half dozen first carbons can be finicky. Once you find what it likes, I mean including broadheads and inserts and all then invest in a clean dozen
                    good luck and congratulations on the new bow
                    blessings

Comment

I shoot "full length" Carbon Express Heritage 250 (11 gpi, 341g) with 160g upfront from a similar set-ups to yours [56# recurve and 52# modern longbow]. Add the weight of an insert, nock and fletchings and you're around 520g for a finished arrow, roughly 10g per # of draw weight.

Perfect arrow weight without having to play with weight tubes or heavy inserts.

I found the CX-Heritage shafts to be a little tougher than the GTs I used to shoot...both way more durable than aluminum.

EDIT: How rude of me...welcome to the darkside and enjoy your new Bob Lee. Great folks, great bows.
                      Last edited by tinman; 10-14-2008, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Welcome to the group...

Comment

I shoot easton legacy 2016's out of my 52# recurve with great results.

Comment

BoneDigger, welcome to our addiction!

I read your post and I am wondering if your left eye dominant and your shooting right handed?

Curious!

Comment

I recommended aluminum because they're easy to come by, they're easy to set up and they're easy to inspect.

The fewer things you have to worry about getting started, the easier it is to learn what you need.

If you're set on carbon, go with Carbon Express. I use Terminator Hunter Selects in the 45/60 size (11 gpi). Some good arrows.

The best for my longbow have been cedar though. They are the easiest to tune, the quietest, and usually have the best weight. They are what I use. The others I just use for practice and maybe a 3D every now and then.

Like Joey said, "how rude of me"; Welcome to the club.

Comment

Working...
                              X