New to the Darkside...and yes, I have a question :D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to the Darkside...and yes, I have a question :D

So, my wonderful wife knows I have been wanting a trad bow for a while, so while she was out the other day she ran across a Bear Grizzly recurve and bought it for me!
    It's 58" and 50#. I got it a new string and arrows etc. Right now, I'm shooting the Gold Tip Hunters 3375 (I think that's the number) and I was wondering, do I need to go heavier than 125gr points? I think I remember reading here somewhere that my arrow should be like 10gr/pound. Is that in the right neighborhood?
    Also, when I shoot, I'm pretty good left/right, but I shooting about 6-8" high. Anything specific to try and get that down a little as I'm not sure she likes all the holes in her fence.

Thanks Trad Guys!!

You should be able to adjust the nock point to get the up/down adjusted. As for the GT's, I am shooting those out of my 48# Sarrels so I think they should work. Do you draw a full 28"? As for weight, I am shooting 225 gr. up front...125 gr. head and 100 gr. insert. The GT XT 35/55's set up the way I have them weigh around 490 gr. so you will be very close to 10gpp if you add the 100 gr. insert. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I have found the GT's to be pretty forgiving...I can shoot that same arrow out of several of my bows with good flight. Good luck and congrats on the new bow...sounds like your wife is a KEEPER!

Comment

Originally posted by duck'n View Post
      You should be able to adjust the nock point to get the up/down adjusted. As for the GT's, I am shooting those out of my 48# Sarrels so I think they should work. Do you draw a full 28"? As for weight, I am shooting 225 gr. up front...125 gr. head and 100 gr. insert. The GT XT 35/55's set up the way I have them weigh around 490 gr. so you will be very close to 10gpp if you add the 100 gr. insert. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I have found the GT's to be pretty forgiving...I can shoot that same arrow out of several of my bows with good flight. Good luck and congrats on the new bow...sounds like your wife is a KEEPER!
      Thanks for the advice! So, should I move my nock UP to get the arrow DOWN? Or am I backwards on that?. My draw is somewhere in the neighborhood of 27 -27.5. I'll have to get some heavier inserts too.

Thanks!

Comment

MM The string nock should be somewhere around 3/8" above center (the shelf)... before adding more weight I would suggest that you get them flying half decent. I shoot 28" - GT 3555's out of my bows and I shoot around the 60# mark. They get the best flight I have ever had out of any shaft. I don't add weight - shoot 125 grain points and never had a problem knocking down anything. Caribou, Moose, deer, hogs whatever. JMHO

Comment

Originally posted by MountainMan View Post
          Thanks for the advice! So, should I move my nock UP to get the arrow DOWN? Or am I backwards on that?. My draw is somewhere in the neighborhood of 27 -27.5. I'll have to get some heavier inserts too.

Thanks!
          Is that your draw with a compound or the recurve???

Comment

Originally posted by Ol Man View Post
            MM The string nock should be somewhere around 3/8" above center (the shelf)... before adding more weight I would suggest that you get them flying half decent. I shoot 28" - GT 3555's out of my bows and I shoot around the 60# mark. They get the best flight I have ever had out of any shaft. I don't add weight - shoot 125 grain points and never had a problem knocking down anything. Caribou, Moose, deer, hogs whatever. JMHO

That is a great point. I left mine full length so the added weight help offset that but if I didn't have the weights, I would play with OAL first.

Comment

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
              Is that your draw with a compound or the recurve???
              That's with a compound, I don't know what my draw is with my recurve

Originally posted by Ol Man View Post
              So, should I move the nock up a bit if the arrows are flying up? I like the shafts, and I left them at full length with 125gr. tips.

Originally posted by duck'n View Post
              That is a great point. I left mine full length so the added weight help offset that but if I didn't have the weights, I would play with OAL first.
              I left my shafts at full length too. What's OAL?

Thanks guys!

Comment

Before you move your nock point shoot your arrows into a firm target(not a bag)at about 5 yards and see if the arrow is kicked up or down- otherwise just keep shootin and your arms and eyes will self correct.
                You will end up playing with arrows until you find the right combonation- You may try putting 200 or 300 grains on the front and see how it flys.
                Last edited by glen; 10-08-2008, 11:50 AM.

Comment

That's with a compound, I don't know what my draw is with my recurve

So, should I move the nock up a bit if the arrows are flying up? I like the shafts, and I left them at full length with 125gr. tips.

I left my shafts at full length too. What's OAL?

Thanks guys!
                  Usually but not always an inch shorter with a rcurve bud. Im 2" shorter with a Longbow...

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                    Before you move your nock point shoot your arrows into a firm target(not a bag)at about 5 yards and see if the arrow is kicked up or down- otherwise just keep shootin and your arms and eyes will self correct.
                    You will end up playing with arrows until you find the right combonation- You may try putting 200 or 300 grains on the front and see how it flys.
                    I've been shooting into my block target at 5 yards and they still kick upwards.
                    So, what way does the nock need to go, or should I try more weight in the front first?

Comment

I am not an expert but I would start moving the nock up slightly and see what happens. If you leave them full length, you may want some additional weight up front...I do but that is just me.

Comment

Sounds good, I'll start there. Thanks!

Comment

you might want to have someone stand behind you and see how the arrows are flying before moving your nock, you might create another problem by having your arrow porpoise.....
                          A couple of questions...are you shooting off the shelf or a rest? if the shelf, you might want to try a rest like the Hoyt super pro or a flipper type rest and see if that helps, also how are you anchoring? top finger to the mouth? you might try to use the middle finger or even the third finger to the corner of your mouth, the closer your eye to the shaft the better you will see down the arrow.....Good Luck

Comment

I've been shooting into my block target at 5 yards and they still kick upwards.
                            So, what way does the nock need to go, or should I try more weight in the front first?
                            If your nock end of the arrow is striking high then you need to go up. The arrow is bouncing down off the riser at the tail causing it to flip up.

OAL - is overall length.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Murphey View Post
                              you might want to have someone stand behind you and see how the arrows are flying before moving your nock, you might create another problem by having your arrow porpoise.....
                              A couple of questions...are you shooting off the shelf or a rest? if the shelf, you might want to try a rest like the Hoyt super pro or a flipper type rest and see if that helps, also how are you anchoring? top finger to the mouth? you might try to use the middle finger or even the third finger to the corner of your mouth, the closer your eye to the shaft the better you will see down the arrow.....Good Luck
                              I'm anchoring with my middle finger in the corner of my mouth. I shoot directly off the shelf with the cock feather out.

Should I try more weight forward first?

Comment

Working...
                              X