Thick Thick Thick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thick Thick Thick

My goodness, there is some nasty thick stuff on LBJ. I was exploring some new areas that we see deer move through/out of and I was hoping to find somewhere in this block to sit. But the furthest I could ever see anywhere was 10-15 yds max! Good for bow, but I've got my gun in hand at the moment to try and assure some meat in the freezer. There's also a complete lack of tree's thick enough to get my climber up.

What do you guys that like the thick stuff generally hunt in? Find a good run and sit it until something comes by? (funnels/ect are definetely what you'd want to find).

http://www.gametamers.com/quadpods.html

I have a few of these and they work well. They come with 2 ladder bases to adjust the heights to 10' and 14' I think.

Comment

I have seen three bucks taken where the hunter has sat at the front of the thick stuff and getting the bucks as they come out in the evenings. I took the same approach and came up with a doe, I am going to finish the season out the same way. I will place myself to where the wind is in my face or blowing left to right or right to left in the open field area, then wait until the deer come out to eat. I have seen a lot of deer with this method and it will pay off. To me getting deep in the thick stuff doesn't pay off as well as deer like the travel with as little resistance as we humans. But they will use the thick stuff to escape if need be.

Comment

Originally posted by ShedSeeker View Post
        http://www.gametamers.com/quadpods.html

I have a few of these and they work well. They come with 2 ladder bases to adjust the heights to 10' and 14' I think.

So you leave these stands out on the grasslands? That'd make me nervous that I'd never see it again.

Comment

Theres probably a 50% chance you won't see it again, but you must realize the mindset of alot of hunters out there is its still cheaper than paying $1500 a year for a lease. I know one guy who stocks up on treestands on sale on ebay after the season each year because he knows hes gonna lose a few every year.

Comment

That is a sad state of affairs. I always write my name on em in sharpie...no one's stolen one yet on a public hunt. Unreal.

Comment

You've gotten lucky, I know of about a dozen treestands/ladder stands that have been stolen this year.

Comment

great....i need to hurry and check on my pop-up...

Comment

Yup, there is some real thick stuff in there. We have had some good luck seeing them move along the creek banks. Its easier walking for them and still has the good cover of the thick stuff...

Comment

Working...
                  X