Need some cooking help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some cooking help

Last night I made some chicken-fried backstrap. I put some dry brisket rub and a few other "rubs" on them and then soaked them over night in milk. Last night, I dipped them in an egg/milk mix, then into the bisquick/flour mix and fried them in a shallow skillet.

I realized that I have never been able to make more than about 1/2 of the batter stay on the steak unless I am cooking in a restraunt-style deep fryier with a wire basket. The oil is about as deep as the steak is, so i have to flip them to get even heat. So, any suggestions to keep the batter on?

Battering is a 3 step process. Always Dry, Wet, Dry.

Dredge them in plain flour, then your egg milk mixture then your final mix.

Also dont use bisquik it has rising agents in it so that is another big part of the problem.

I use half breadcrumbs half flour and a little seasoning salt on the final flour.

Also when you're soaking them they're taking on water. Which in turn cooks out, which a) disintegrates your batter, and b) cools your oil.

Keep your oil nice and constant about 300 and flip once. Problem solved.

To recap.

Dont soak overnight, just season meat a bit, use 3 step battering, keep oil constant, flip once.

Problem solved.

Comment

Outstanding, Mesquitecountry. Gracias. I'll give that a try.

Comment

great.. the soaking makes sense to me... good info.

Comment

I just always make sure that my oil is hot when placing the steaks in to begin with. I use self rising flour on mine and they always turn out good.

Comment

Originally posted by mesquitecountry View Post
            Battering is a 3 step process. Always Dry, Wet, Dry.

Dredge them in plain flour, then your egg milk mixture then your final mix.

Also dont use bisquik it has rising agents in it so that is another big part of the problem.

I use half breadcrumbs half flour and a little seasoning salt on the final flour.

Also when you're soaking them they're taking on water. Which in turn cooks out, which a) disintegrates your batter, and b) cools your oil.

Keep your oil nice and constant about 300 and flip once. Problem solved.

To recap.

Dont soak overnight, just season meat a bit, use 3 step battering, keep oil constant, flip once.

Problem solved.

YES

Comment

I tried it last night following the suggestions above, and wow! Best Fried Backstraps I've ever made. Thanks guys.

Comment

Chicken fried venison is some of the best eating there is.

Last time I did some I was at the lease and didn't have any of the dry coating mixture. But I did have a leftover package of hush puppy mix. I tried that and it was spectacular! The corn meal really added some good flavor and texture. Add a little chili powder to the coating mixture and it's even better.

Comment

i just put them in a milk and egg batter then cover them in flour and tonys and i have never had a problem with it coming off

Comment

Do like mesquitecountry says and you'll have one heck of a good meal.

Comment

I have always used the Wet-Dry-Wet method as instituted at Threadgill's.
                      I've also found the Grandkids like "steak fingers" better and they help me make them.

Either way is good. At least you're eating Beef.

Comment

I used Mesquitecountry's CFS recipe on some blacktail backstrap last night, and fried it up in my disc cooker for a friend and I before we went out to chase local hogs.

Deeeeeeelicious!

Comment

One thing I have noticed is that if I batter it well ahead of time and put the battered steaks in the fridge untill frying time, nothing falls off. I will dip it in flour, then milk/egg mixture, then back in flour. Make sure you have plenty flour on the 2nd coat because it will soak in. I gain about 10 pounds every time I make these.

Comment

Can I do a second coat of the batter by re-dipping in the egg/milk and then back into the bag and not have it all fall off? Obviously the lo-cal version.

Comment

Working...
                            X