They know I'm there

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They know I'm there

I'm getting busted every time. I guess they smell me although I'm clean when I go out and I use the vanilla mixture (maybe to excess). There are a couple of deer that do come in to feed but they are sure spooky while they feed. I don't think its my blinds because I'm getting lots of deer on my trail cams when I'm not in the blinds. . This is my first year bowhunting whitetails and I've learned a bunch already. I'm still learning so any suggestions will be appreciated.

I guess the old Walker has now lost his handle.: Anyhow Walker I dont know what to tell ya except make sure your down wind from the deer maybe you are to strong on the vanilla .
    I have never had to many problems with getting busted by whitetail scent wise because I have mostly hunted high populations and they compete for feed so much if they scented me they would usually calm down or leave then come back on edge but would come back . I always try to use the wind in my favor. If they seem me or my movemnt now that has always been a different story ! Except for the fun little yearlings

Comment

Are they downwind of you when they bust you? If not, they may be catching you move, skylighting you if you're in the air. If you're in a popup, brush it in some more and see if that helps.

Comment

I am the old Walker. Just to prove it I hunt from an Ipod.
        Actually I'm sitting in ground blinds. Most of the times I'm sitting at a crosswind from the feeders. Maybe they are winding me on their way in. I know they aren't seeing me move. Blinds are well brushed in and no light behind me. I guess I'll try some scent killer and maybe some other cover scents. I don't even plan on shooting anything but anything I can learn will help my kids get some LDP's.

Comment

I use scent soap, cant gt used to the VANILLA thing! HAHAHAHA..it does work though to take a bath in the soap..scent proof my clothes with scent soap as well.

Comment

I've been using the vanilla with great success.

Comment

Ortiz and Watts swear by the Dead Down Wind stuff, I'm gonna get some myself. Plus get rid of that cigar and you'll be fine.

Comment

That Death down wind does work,Ive been useing it ths season.

Comment

I don't know what's different about the Dead Downwind stuff but it works. This is my 2nd season using it.

Comment

Don't overlook your breath and a possible source of the odor. I try to get my teeth cleaned about a week before season. At least try flossing and brushing with baking soda, or a baking soda toothpaste.

Comment

If your breath is getting you busted you need to see the dentist ASAP...I use Close-up to get my teeth clean before I go to the blind and still have plenty of success not getting busted.

Comment

Walker,
                        Try spraying some of the vanilla around your settup. I have been using it for around 20 years and IMO it is probally the best cover cent.

Comment

White oak scented waffers.

Comment

I like the Earth Scent waffers and spray but have often wondered what to use on my breath.

Comment

Try Red Fox or Coon Urine.. They both work well for me...

Comment

Working...
                              X