Trad Equipment In a pop up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trad Equipment In a pop up?

Hey guys, I'm going on a blackbuck doe hunt at the end of march. Hunting somewhere other than my ranch is very new to me. Talked to the landowner yesterday. He asked how I was going to try top shoot it and I told him preferably with my trad equipment. This will be my first hunt attempting to take big game with my longbow.
    This being said, he asked how close I needed it, I said 10-15 yards max. What I'm worried about is having a bit to long of a bow for a pop up blind. He said it was a double bull wide. My question do y'all think I'll have enough room to draw? My bow is somewhere in the 66-70" range. I know I'll have to cant, but should that be enough?
    Again, thanks for all the help
    Jake

I think you'll be fine might have to cant your bow a lil more than usual

Comment

Gona be real tight

Comment

cut the ends of the bow off u wont have to can't it its better to be a doer. u may have to retiller it but than instead of canting u will be doing. just kidding

Comment

Bring your own low profile chair/stool or practice shooting off one knee crouched. That's what I had to do is slip off chair to one knee. I'm 6'4" with 31" draw an shoot full length shafts so no shoot through nets for me. I have switched to a 60" longbow not near as much problems as before. Good luck!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BRIAN OKONSKI View Post
            Bring your own low profile chair/stool or practice shooting off one knee crouched. That's what I had to do is slip off chair to one knee. I'm 6'4" with 31" draw an shoot full length shafts so no shoot through nets for me. I have switched to a 60" longbow not near as much problems as before. Good luck!!!
            My buddy has that problem, luckily for me I draw only 27". I've been practicing from a knee, Its something I've always done. Now hopefully I know I just need to do that and cant a good bit. Thanks for the advise so far, anyone else have opinions?

Comment

I've had the same experience as Brian Okonski - Bring a low chair or stool that you can slide off of onto your knee without knocking the stool over and making a lot of noise, at the perfect time to mess up your shot. And no, I have no idea why I'd think about that noise issue - just suddenly came to me.

Comment

If the land owner or outfitter will cooperate with you. Then go setup ahead of time or mail your blind to him to set up. I have done this that way you use your blind that you are familiar with an can shoot out of. The big mike blinds have plenty of room I own a couple an gonna purchase couple more. Depending on terrain an brush make a ground blind. Good luck!!!

Comment

If your bow is 66"-70" long you are very likely to encounter problems with the bow hitting something in a pop-up blind!

Good luck though!

Bisch

Comment

Can you make a brush blind

Comment

+1 on the brush blind...they are the most versatile for a longbow...unfortunately he may like his youpon where it grows. lol

Comment

I'm going to be out at the ranch before then, so I'll pick up one of our 6' lightweight portable tripods we built for stuff like this. I'll make sure to test my ability to shoot from the pop up, because when it comes time, the last thing I want to worry about is the pop up, and I don't want to accidently shoot it because of clearance issues because of the bow length (definitely never shot a pop up before..)

Comment

i wouldnt try it.

Comment

If you are shooting a 62" bow, I doubt you can draw as the top limb will hit the ceiling....Unless the blind is at least 74" it will never work...unless you can place something under the corners to raise the blind up then the windows might be too high to get a shot out of...A trad guy needs a tall roof....

Comment

No workee for me....I'm too tall and the longbow's too long.

Comment

Working...
                              X