dumb question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dumb question

I know this is probably a dumb question and I am pretty sure I already know the answer, but here goes.

I was shooting my new arrows yesterday and unfortunately I almost robin hooded an arrow. I blew the nock off of it. I inspected the arrow and there was no damage around the nock, but I did find a spot that bothers me just in front of the feathers. The spot is where the grain runs out on the side of the shaft. The grain line appears to be separated a little. If I flex the shaft, I can get my fingernail to catch the grain line. Pictures won't show it. The separation is 1/4" long and in a horse shoe shape due to the grain pattern. The arrows are tapered douglas fur.

I know the right thing to do is probably toss it, but I just bought these arrows. I also know how painful it will be if it explodes.

What do you think? Will it matter where the crack is in relation to the cock feather due to the shaft bending around the bow?

Toss it, not worth the risk.

Comment

I think you know the answer

I know the right thing to do is probably toss it, but I just bought these arrows. I also know how painful it will be if it explodes.
      Hindsight is 20/20 and when, not if, that thing blows up on you, you will look back and say to yourself that one arrow was not worth the accident that just happened.

First rule of any shooting, be it firearms or archery, is be safe. if in doubt then don't do it.

Comment

They make fine garden stakes or decorations to the flower bed. My suggestion would be to donate it to the arrow gods and only shoot one at a time from now on...

Comment

If you are determined to keep shooting it, I'd put epoxy in the crack and possibly serve over it. I would also orient that arrow so that if it fails at that point, the pointy part of the break will go away from my hand rather than into it. Proceed with caution. Risks far outweigh benefit.

Comment

How much is an arrow really worth?

Comment

I know, I am just cheap.

What I really need to do is just break it in half. I put it in my hunting room and in a year when I go to repair arrows I may forget about the little crack.

Comment

I'm thinking the breaking it in half idea is the best solution. But, I feel your pain. Arrows are NOT cheap..........

Comment

Being retired I shoot everyday
                  I have days were I destroy 1 or 2 arrows
                  I bit** about cost then wife reminds me it keeps me out of her hair and helps keep me in some what good health

Comment

This is my new dozen that a week or so ago I was trying out new ways to grip the bow and I shot another new arrow into the corner of the target and it exploded.

Comment

That is the most critical part of the arrow it recieves the initial load and energy stored by the string it is the least likely to bend so more likely to break, if it was out by the tip you may be ok but it sounds like you should chunk it, i certainly would, not worth the risk, good luck

Comment

I've found Doug Fir to be bad about grain separation. If you find one with good grain though, you got you an arrow!

Comment

15 dollar arrow or hundreds of dollars doctor vist and no shooting for a long time.

Comment

Broken or damaged arrows make great garden stakes. As for shooting them, "NFW." You can buy new arrows; it's a bit harder to grow a new hand.

Comment

I probably won't shoot it again, but I was thinking, couldn't it damage the bow if the arrow were to break? It could almost be like dry firing the bow if there is no where to transfer the energy.

Comment

Working...
                              X