Ben Pearson Stallion Recurve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ben Pearson Stallion Recurve

I'm hunting for my first bow, and decided to do some Ebay looking, and discovered that I am a sucker for beautiful wood bows...

Anyways, Seacoal and myself have been hunting ebay for a while, and have come across, lost out on a beautiful white wing bow (I'm kicking myself for being cheap), and after our adventures, we came across this:

I was wondering if it is worth the $220? I have the moolah to buy it, it looks in great shape (and gorgeous), and I could send it to Seacoal or some of his family because it has a 14 day money back guarantee on it, and they could look it over for me in person.

What I am asking more than anything is:
    Is this a good starter bow if I am willing to cough up the extra money? Anything that I need to know about the Ben Pearson bows or the Ben Pearson Stallion in particular?

thanks in advance.

Ben Pearson made fine bows and lots of them. The Stallion was one of very many models and probably in the middle of the pack pricewise. BPs usually dont sell for high prices.
    I did a search of BP bows already sold to compare and noticed that Stallion had been previously listed at that price and hadn't sold. You never know but I doubt it will sell at the opening bid price. He has a make an offer option, you might try that. It looks like a fine example of mid 60's era recurve and if its worth the money to you then its worth it.

Comment

I've been following your other post about looking for a bow, and how long your draw length is.

That BP is a 56" bow.
      I hate to say it, because it is a really nice bow, but if your draw length is anywhere near what you think it is going to be, that bow is way to short for you.

To short for two reasons:
      (1) You're gonna have a lot of finger pinch
      (2) That's an old bow, and drawing it that far, especially being so short, could cause it to have a catastrophic failure.

Rick

Comment

I looked at the BP again.
        Looks like it says 5' 6" instead of 56", so a 66" bow would be much better for you.

Sorry to be misleading.

Rick

Comment

Yea I was going to jump in with 5'6" not 56. He did a mock up draw and thinks he somewhere between 30-31, can't be sure without a real bow to measure it of course.
          Keep the opinions rolling in please, all the help is appreciated and thanks to all who have contributed

Comment

I made an offer of 175 (basically the guy's price minus shipping) lets see how it goes.

Comment

I think you bought yourself a bow. If your interested, you can go to the BP archery co. website there they have old catalogs you can download. The 1963 catalog shows your bow. It lists max drawlength 30", but I wouldn't worry about that

Comment

I got a bow! Now for the least fun part of buying a bow... paying for it.

Comment

And its MINE!! WHOO HOO! I got a bow once again. The deers and porcine had better be running for the hills... eventually.

Comment

Congrats. Hope it is a great bow and gets you into the fun!

Comment

Awesome, have fun and don't give-up, keep at it, and practice, practice, practice.

Comment

Have fun with it.

Comment

Congrats,

Comment

I've even already got arrows picked out for them. I'm going to shoot gold tip traditionals 7595 with a 175 grain head, and a 50 grain brass insert. I'll probably use ACE archery tackle broadheads and field points.
                            if you have anything to add to that, feel free, I'm learning from Seacoal and what I can read, and while Seacoal has been amazingly helpful, its always great to hear different points of view.

Comment

If you bought that 45# bow, those 7595's are likely going to be WAAAAAAY too stiff!

Bisch

Comment

Working...
                              X