Cat Whiskers or String Leech?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cat Whiskers or String Leech?

Which string silencer works best? If there is something else that works better please let me know. Thanks

Cat Whiskers for me, which probably puts me in the minority amongst traditional shooters. Most seem to prefer yarn puffs or beaver balls of some kind, but when used properly the cat whiskers work great for me. I think a lot of people make them way too big (full length). I cut them into pieces of about 1 1/4" before tying them on which makes a tight little ball. I used to use string leeches on my compounds - they quieted the bow fine but I had a problem with them tearing and got tired of replacing them.
    Last edited by jerp; 01-23-2014, 04:10 PM.

Comment

I like silencers made from wool yarn.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390515190.282457.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	24281351

Bisch

Comment

I like String Leach because of the ease of installation and being able to easily use on another string.

Buy the Crossbow Leaches. That being said lately even the crossbow ones are tearing. I wonder if they changed the specs?

Comment

I've used both over the last few years and prefer the rubber cat whiskers. Here is the best video I've found on installing them. I used to slip them through the string but much prefer this method.

Comment

I'm with bisch, I make my own from wool I bought from hobby lobby. Works great and just looks right on a longbow. To each his own though

Comment

I'm with Bisch

Comment

If given only a choice between the two, I would chose the whiskers.
                Never have been able to keep the leeches in my string. Not even the heavy duty ones.

That said, I prefer the yarn puffs. Specifically acrylic yarn.
                They silence my rigs just as well, and are light in weight.

Rick

Comment

I like beaver balls cause they work for me and look cool.

Comment

Mink tails

Comment

I like rubber cat whiskers. They look good and work.

Comment

Just depends what works to quiet your bow, then use what ever works, Yarn is about 60% effective, Cats whiskers are about 40%-45% (more suited for a compound )
                        Beaver balls, 3-5 inch is about 70%-85%
                        Remember it might require other tuning issues might also be of great value to quiet the bow.

Comment

A couple of years back Paul Fender wrote an article in the TBH Magazine analyzing the various options. If memory serves he wasn't a fan of either, not because they don't quite the bow but because the slow the string down more than the various ways of using yarn or fur. I use both cat whiskers and string leeches, depending on what I have because when I've tried to use yarn the world seems to get covered in pieces of yarn for the first couple of shots and then I have nothing left.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Javi Cooper View Post
                            I'm with Bisch
                            me too!
                            Wool silencers all the way for me!!

But to be honest i have never installed them myself. i still use the stock string that came with the bow. but when it needs to be replaced ill have to install some. already ordered 3 sets form custom king just in case the first 2 trys wont work

Daniel
                            Last edited by triffnix; 01-27-2014, 03:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X